Headphone Purchase Advice (<$160)
Mar 13, 2012 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Alphamega

New Head-Fier
So I've been a big In-ear fan for a few years, gotten a lot of different earphones on the lower end of the price range which I have thoroughly enjoyed. I recently lost my pair of MEElec SP51's which I loved, so I decided I needed to buy some new earphones.
I happened to have a listen to a pair of Dre's Solo HD Beats (I have nothing currently to compare to), I instantly fell in love with the warmth of the headphones, but then I came on here to do a bit of research to see if they were worth buying (my friend thinks he can get me a Beats discount for like 50% off), but after reading a few threads I found a lot of people criticising them a lot. So my question is, what headphones for less than $100 can I get which are better alternatives to the Solo Beats?

Edit: My taste in music spans a lot of different genres, Rock, Rap, Dance, Indie, Breakbeat, Ambient, Classic, Dub, Reggae etc.

Edit: Ignore this post

This post is what I am asking about now.

Mar 13, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #2 of 7
I'd say just get the Beat. The main thing in a pair of headphones is whether or not you enjoy the sound. If you fell in love with the sound of the Beats, then by all means, pick them up. I would however make sure to put them under a more vigorous test. I owned a pair myself, and I really disliked how metal and acoustic music played on it, I'm also not sure how well classical music would work on them. Their price to performance ratio is definitely an issue, but if you can get them for half off, then that is by no means a bad price. Make sure that you make sure they're real though, the knock-off Beats market is huge, so that's always a risk. 

Mar 13, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the hep guys.
@Metalicca, I am very tempted to, but also with this discount (the company my friend works for is a partner company, so that is where he gets the discount from) I could get the Pro's or Studio's if they are significantly better, I am also more interested in over-ear than on ear.

@MalVeauX, thanks a lot for the recommendations, I will be sure to read up on them.

@Amorgan, I don't really have a local music/electronics store, so testing headphones is a bit difficult for me until I return home (after uni).

Sep 18, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #6 of 7
So I ended up buying some M-Audio Q40's which were great, I loved them a lot. I however have travelled to Singapore for the year and I couldn't get them in my suitcase.
I tried to look for some headphones in the price range of around $160 as some replacements but I am having difficulty finding anything matching what I want looking through people's reviews.

What I want is something matching the Q40's as closely as possible, but with a bit of a wider soundstage and hopefully within the price range I gave. I looked at MalVeauX Q40 review, but all of the comparison headphones that are an improvement are dramatically more expensive.

Thanks

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #7 of 7
Sorry but I am gonna bump this. Been looking all day, and without direct comparisons which I can't find, it is impossible to tell if any of the headphones are what I am looking for.

So far I have come short-listed: Somic HD MH463, Sennheiser HD-558, Denon AH-D1100, Sennheiser HD 439, Audio-Technica ATH-M50 & Sennheiser HD-518.
I however hear that Sennheiser is a little bit lacking on the bass front, can anyone confirm this?

If anybody has any of those headphones, would you be able to give me a quick comparison between the pairs you own, and of course if you own any Q40's that would be great to compare with.

Thanks

Edit: Add Onkyo ES-HF300 and Philips CityScape Uptown to the comparison please :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back