Headphone project (W5000 transplant)?
Jun 24, 2009 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

darkswordsman17

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I got an AD700 in trade a little while back. I listened to it and it was solid, but not really a sound I like (the W5000 is a sound I like). After reading in a thread about how W5000 drivers are about $50 each I thought about transplanting them in the AD700 chassis. The fit should be considerable better. Also, I believe most other Audio-Technica pads should fit so you should have plenty of options there. I'd go ahead and do it myself, but I'm terrible at soldering. Transplant the W5000 drivers, do a good dual entry cabling job, and get some better pads and then mess with damping (I don't see why you couldn't make some nice wood cups as well) and I think you could end up with a better fitting and better sounding (albeit, I'd say not as aesthetically pleasing) W5000 for $300 or so.

If anyone wants an AD700 chassis (and drivers, pads are useable but not in good condition) I've got one available. I might would even consider financing someone to do the work depending on price and their quality of work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back