Headphone match for S:Flo2
Jul 14, 2010 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

catchedge

100+ Head-Fier
I'm wondering what you guys are using as far as IEM's for the Nationite S:Flo2.

I'm looking at purchasing some IEM's for it but I haven't been able to find any information on what people are using with them, so please feel free to post your setup or past setups that you enjoyed.

I'm looking at using either Sennheiser IE8's or Westone 3's...

Jul 14, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 20
SM3, IE8, Radius DDM, DBA-02 and FX700.............

Jul 15, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 20
In my experience, both the Westone 2's and the Westone 3's sound really good with the sflo2.  The sound from each is different for me, as the Westone 2's seem to bring out the higher frequencies (while still allowing nice bass) a bit more than the Westone 3's, but to me both are quite well suited for the sflo2.  So if you like a little "brighter sound", you might want to consider the Westone 2's.  I also think that the UE triple fi 10's and M-audio ie 30's do quite well with the sflo2, and analogous to the Westones, the M-audio ie 30's sound a bit brighter than the UE triple fi's.  I have a set of recabled etymotic ER-4P's (recabled with Apuresound cables), but the HO unfortunately does not drive these well (can't get enough sound volume).  I have recently oredered a headphone amp, so I can try the recabled ety's with the LO.  The only IEM's so far that I haven't liked with the sflo2 has been the Future Sonics Atrio; these IEMs bring out too much bass, and not enough treble for me.  But I have not tried to adjust the EQ for any of them, I listen to the sflo2 with Normal setting.

Jul 16, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 20
I would recommend dynamic driver IEM's w/ the Sflo2.  They really come alive w/ the Sflo's power and body.  If you were going unamped I would look at a slightly brighter phone for synergy.  LO, anything is fine really.  

Jul 17, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #9 of 20
Worry about the sound signature you want first, in my experience source matching just a bonus. You'll have an amp later anyways. 

Jul 17, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 20
If you want to match based on signature of both IEM and player, the s:flo2 is a warmer sounding player with a slight treble roll off.... so if you wanted something to match the sig of the player I'd go with... maybe a W3 or Triple.Fi? 

Of course that's if you were shooting to "match" but it's all up to you. The LO is clean and fixes this problem easily.

Edit for clarification: "Neutral" in relation to the sound sig of the player. 

Jul 17, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
If you want to match based on signature of both IEM and player, the s:flo2 is a warmer sounding player with a slight treble roll off.... so if you wanted something neutral I'd go with... maybe a W3 or Triple.Fi? 

Of course that's if you were shooting to "match" but it's all up to you. The LO is clean and fixes this problem easily.

What??? The W3 is anything but neutral.

Jul 17, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #12 of 20
IE8+S:Flo2(recommended)..........

Jul 18, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #13 of 20
I have to agree with Young Spade on this choice (W3 or UE triple fi 10's).  Although I don't have the IE8's, the reviews I've read stress the relative "bass heavy" quality of these phones.  I do have the Future Sonic Atrios (also a bit bass heavy) and while they work very well with the Sansa Clip, they provide too much bass (at least for me) with the sflo2, and they just sound muddy.  If you want a bit brighter sound with the sflo2, consider the Westone 2's or the m-audio IE 30's.  So while the W'3 may not be "neutral", they are a good match for the sflo2, and together, the sound comes out a bit more "neutral."

Jul 18, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
I have to agree with Young Spade on this choice (W3 or UE triple fi 10's).  Although I don't have the IE8's, the reviews I've read stress the relative "bass heavy" quality of these phones.  I do have the Future Sonic Atrios (also a bit bass heavy) and while they work very well with the Sansa Clip, they provide too much bass (at least for me) with the sflo2, and they just sound muddy.  If you want a bit brighter sound with the sflo2, consider the Westone 2's or the m-audio IE 30's.  So while the W'3 may not be "neutral", they are a good match for the sflo2, and together, the sound comes out a bit more "neutral."

Agreed, a warm, bass heavy phone does not synergize that well w/ the Sflo2 HO.  LO its great.

Jul 18, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
What??? The W3 is anything but neutral.

Lol sorry I know they aren't neutral I meant.... roughly to match the sound signatures (increase in treble of phones to match treble roll off) . I know those phones are nowhere near neutral but I was suggesting something he might like (sound signature wise) and because of the sig of the player you wouldn't really be subjected to sibilance or anything. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back