Headphone just for movies?
Jun 24, 2012 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Drastion

100+ Head-Fier
Have been trying to decide for a while. I don't listen to a lot of bass heavy music or game as much as I used to. Other than some rocksmith its mainly for movies. I have a few contenders but with me waiting to get an amp my choices now seem limited.

Low side
Ultrasone hfi 2400 Denon 2000

High side Hifiman 400 Denon 5000

Open to suggestions since I don't have an ear for this side of headphones. Prefered to not loose mids or have sibilant treble just deep presant bass.

Jun 24, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 42
Just to give an idea of what I have. My current favorites are my q701 and yoga/hm5. I also have a m audio q40 but something just isn't there like its lacking treble. That and I don't listen loud enough for the bass to really kick in. But that all might be due to a bad cable. Since if its not positioned right the left channel cuts ou and I loose volume on the right. They are said to have smooth treble. But can anyone compare that to the above headphones?

Jun 24, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 42
I have been watching movies using my LCD2 rev 2.. it's very good.  good sound stage and great directional sounds.

Jun 24, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 42
The lcd 2 would be great but a bit much even used and I only have a o2 amp and I doubt it would be enough.

I ordered another dolby headphone processor with bass boost this time hopefuly that will help.

The dt 990/600 were at the top of my list when I first getting into this hobby but the very shrill treble I kept reading about scared me off.

Jun 24, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 42
The 2400 is the one I am heading towards. Denons are going to be hard to find. While I would love to get the he400 just like the lcd it is a bit much for how much use it would get. Either way I will wait to see how this new dac works. Its not as good as the one I already have but hopefully the bass boost will work well.

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:
Beyer DT 990's are great for movies. amazing soundstage

+1, DT990 great for movies, good for other stuff too.

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #11 of 42
Katun: Really? The humble little PX100-ii is great for movies? Wow, whodathunk.

Drastion: I keep seeing the DT990 recommended for movies--based on what I've read, the shrill treble tends to be a concern for music, not movies. It's odd that you find the M-Audio lacking treble, but don't want to give the 990 a shot since they're known to have more treble.
FWIW I have demo'd the 990 a long time ago, and didn't find its treble a problem. Ironically, I found some sibilance on the Denons you listed.

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:
Katun: Really? The humble little PX100-ii is great for movies? Wow, whodathunk.

Drastion: I keep seeing the DT990 recommended for movies--based on what I've read, the shrill treble tends to be a concern for music, not movies. It's odd that you find the M-Audio lacking treble, but don't want to give the 990 a shot since they're known to have more treble.
FWIW I have demo'd the 990 a long time ago, and didn't find its treble a problem. Ironically, I found some sibilance on the Denons you listed.

Primarily because of comfort. No full sized headphone can come close. But sound quality wise, I find they are perfectly adequate.

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #14 of 42
Quote:
Ever tried the MDR-F1?
Honestly I've hated every PX I've ever tried.
redface.gif

No, I wish. Heard it had issues with bass though.

But they've got the MA900 out now, which apparently has plenty of bass. Doesn't look as comfortable as the F1 though, but probably still incredibly comfortable.

Jun 25, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #15 of 42
That is true, they are comfy. But but but...not even Beyers? Or Denons? Those things are mighty wonderful to wear.
Also: AKG's (relatively) new K550 sure was nice when I demo'd it last week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back