Headphone jack static!
Apr 5, 2009 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Evshrug

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a 5G iPod Video (30GB) which has been serving me very well since it was released years ago (and it still holds a decent charge, too).

Problem is that in the last two weeks or so a static pop has appeared. Seems to happen most with treble tones and any time the song decibels start to raise above a moderate volume. This even happens when I have my volume at 50%, 25%, in my PX100s or sony speakers (which are quite forgiving). Looking around the forum it seems the most likely cause is dirt and corrosion in the headphone port.

It's hard to see in there, but there are some light gray streaks on the white sides, and I THINK I see an orange spot on one of the contacts. How would I get in there and clean (an perhaps polish that contact) the headphone jack without breaking it?

Thanks for reading!

Apr 5, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #2 of 5
I've used a product called Caig Deoxit in the past to restore the connections on a 60's stereo receiver. It did a great job and previously unusable switches now work wonderfully. Follow the directions on the can and you should be fine- I'd probably spray a headphone plug with the product, twist it inside the player, and dry with a q-tip or similar. Spraying directly into the player probably isn't the best idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back