Headphone identification?
Dec 6, 2022 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

LA2019

New Head-Fier
Hi all. I'm trying to identify these headphones. Someone said they look like Grados but I cannot find any markings. I was going to contact Grado but their contact page wil not accept pictures.

They work fine and sound OK. There are no earpads so I'll need an set; once I figure out what I have!

Thanks!
IMG_9427.JPG
IMG_9428.JPG
IMG_9429.JPG
IMG_9430.JPG
IMG_9431.JPG
IMG_9432.JPG
IMG_9433.JPG

Dec 6, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 24
The closest model that I could find is Grado HP1000. But it has markings on the the outer side.
However if you are looking for the pads, I think it will help.

Dec 8, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 24
Listening to Neil Cowley Trio's first album Dis-Placed: Qobuz (laptop) > Wyred 4 Sound Recovery > Mojo 2 > Lehmann Black Cube > Audeze LCD-2C.
It's a lovely album on a decent set up. The LCD-2C is currently the "laid back" pair in my 3 HP collection, a welcome quality at certain times.

Dec 9, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #6 of 24
Hi all. I'm trying to identify these headphones. Someone said they look like Grados but I cannot find any markings. I was going to contact Grado but their contact page wil not accept pictures.

They work fine and sound OK. There are no earpads so I'll need an set; once I figure out what I have!

Thanks!
They look like prototype HP1000’s to me. Great find if that’s what they are. What are you plugging them into and how do they sound?

Dec 10, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 24
looks like a recapled HP2 Get flat Pads from Todd the vinyl junkey not a Hp1 since no buttons under the switch

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #11 of 24
Really? If I do sell them, in the future, we will see what happens!
Yes really. No one else said anything probably because they are greedy bastards hoping to make a score.

Look at HP1000 prices ($XXXX), then add on top that yours is possibly a unique early prototype. Would require some authentification (talk to Grado) which would be well worth your effort.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #12 of 24
I have nothing more to add to this thread, other than reiterate what Tom (bozebuttons) said. These look like HP-1, except that the polarity switches are definitely different (looks pretty rough tbh), and that cable certainly looks like a recable (doesn't look like anything from Grado to me [EDIT and the plug has to be far more modern than the headphone itself, given the branding]).

The correct pads to use with these are the flats (do not use bowls). Todd the Vinyl Junkie still sells flats for these.

As for value, it's really hard to say. If they really are some sort of prototype, then wow. Though I don't think I've ever seen any prototype like that before. Shame Joseph Grado has passed on. If you're not getting much traction via email, you should swing by Grado Labs in Brooklyn if you're ever in NYC and ask if John Grado would take a look at them. Don't know if he'd remember or not. Don't be surprised if you don't get the warmest reception.

I say this because I once showed up at Grado Labs with a HP-1000, and John bluntly told me he doesn't deal with these anymore. Except then he went to the back and gave me the part I was looking for (the little screws that hold the rods in place).

If it's just someone trying to add polarity switches to an HP-2 or 3 (not sure why anyone would do that) and replacing the cable, well that certainly cuts the value. Maybe it was someone who did some sort of a repair job to a HP-1?
On closer examination, I think the covers for the polarity switches has just been removed. I dunno. Still, they may still sound fantastic. And at a minimum, there are some of us who value working HP1000 drivers as they tend to fail.

Over more recent years, I've seen pristine HP-1000 go from $1,500 to over $2,000, so while it's a nice windfall, I wouldn't say it's winning the lottery.

My understanding is that your Cary SLI 80's headphone out is fed by the tubes -- so it might be a pretty lovely combination. Honestly, I'd say you should just enjoy them. They're a lovely piece of history and retain a unique sound that you still can't replace anywhere on the market.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 24
I don't know why people are talking about the lottery. Here are some tttoootttaaallllllyyy legit examples for only $40.

Could be a prototype, or possibly some previous owner removed the silk screen and replaced the original switches for an off the shelf part. Or maybe the little cap fell off?

PS— definitely NOT a legit site. Please don't give that person your money. Or don't blame me if you do.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #14 of 24
Just curious as to why you say these may be "an early prototype"? They are Joseph Grado HP1000 w/Polarity Switches as @megabigeye mentioned. These also are missing the silk screening around the cups/rod bocks, as well as polarity indicators around the switches, and most of the switches went bad and Joseph bypassed them when serviced. I wouldn't exactly say "you just hit the lottery"...not by far due to their condition. These definitely will not bring many thousands of dollars.

I owned a *mint condition" Joseph Grado HP1000 HP2 w/Joseph Grado Signature Series Ultra-Wide Bandwidth Reference Cable with ALL six screening 100% intact. I paid $1800.00US for them 5+yrs ago, and sold them to a good friend and fellow Head-Fi member @ESL-1 who still owns them. Maybe he'll chime in and show some photos of their condition. Unfortunately, the price of these headphones have gone down bit.
With this being said, @LA2019 still has a nice sounding headphone there for himself.

Jan 4, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #15 of 24
I don't know why people are talking about the lottery. Here are some tttoootttaaallllllyyy legit examples for only $40.

Could be a prototype, or possibly some previous owner removed the silk screen and replaced the original switches for an off the shelf part. Or maybe the little cap fell off?
I wouldn't send a dime of my Money to that site. At those prices, there's definitely something very wrong going on, unless they don't work at all. I didnt look any further into the listings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back