Headphone Goblin: Extraneous Noise In Classical Piano Sonatas
Feb 22, 2008 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

LoryWiv

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently upgraded my Sennheiser PX 200's to HD 280 Pro's as it was clear the accuracy and transparency of reproduction was not optimal with the PX200's for music sources like classical piano.
As expected, I hear all measure of nuance and detail now in my music, mostly blissful and musical. However, on a wide variety of albums, mostly piano sonatas, I now hear a breathy/soft scratchy noise during some passages...can't tell if it's the foot pedal, piano key 'press and release' travel friction or perhaps some microphonic cord/earcup effect (although can occur even when I hold perfectly still.) Borrowed some other quality "studio" phones (Yamaha RH5MA) and it's also evident, so it's not the Sennheiser's artifact. Haven't tried a different DAP but will do so next.

It's not too distracting and over time I'm sure I'll learn to tune it out, but selective dismissal of sounds seems to defeat the purpose of my headphone upgrade!

Does anyone have an idea what this might be?

P.S. I hope this thread isn't too off topic but didn't seem to fit elsewhere on headfi and I hoped the headphone gurus may have some insight into it's cause.

Feb 22, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 17
a non-guru question: how old are the recordings? re-mastering doesn't seem to have reached the point yet where all "flaws" in the original recording can be removed. better equipment could be revealing what's been hidden all along. i never used to notice pablo casals humming occasionally, but with better headphones, i do.

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 17
LoriWiv: I thought the 280s only sound good for SEALED cans. Have you listened to open phones. You might be really surprised at how good they sound. Pick up some Koss KSC-75s for $15 for example and you might be really surprised. 280s are not known for their detail.

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 17
LOL. I did the same thing on my first set of high end speakers. It's the foot pedals.
smily_headphones1.gif

Regardless of what people say, and you will get a ton of opinions, the HD280's are sufficiently articulate enough to pick up the foot pedals. I have a set of HD280's and it's there.

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicalguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LoriWiv: I thought the 280s only sound good for SEALED cans. Have you listened to open phones. You might be really surprised at how good they sound. Pick up some Koss KSC-75s for $15 for example and you might be really surprised. 280s are not known for their detail.

And KSC75s are?
rolleyes.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #6 of 17
Thanks to all who replied. I suspect brainsalad's reply is on point, the quality of this sound does seem like foot pedals may be the source.

As for open versus closed, I'm sure that's a matter of taste but like a sealed can when I'm settling in for serious listening, and the HD 280's have been very fine so far (only 15 hours of use...perhaps better still after burn-in.)

Feb 23, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #7 of 17
I remember I had just spent thousands on a new set of speakers and I put on Beethoven's "Piano Concerto No. 5 Emperor Concerto" and I settled in to listen to my new speakers.... pretty soon I started going "what's wrong with my speakers, their making cracking, whooshing, thumping" noises. It was very quiet on you could only hear it on very quite solo passages. I kept playing it over and over and trying different kinds of music. Finally my wife, who had played the piano for years and observing me from the other room and seeing my despair, came in and patted me on the knee and informed me I was hearing foot pedals on a closely miked piano.

Feb 23, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #8 of 17
terrific story, brainsalad...and that's why we marry people smarter than us!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #9 of 17
yeah its either foot pedal and or even people moving in their seats. But you should be listening to the music rather than the sound, no?
biggrin.gif

Though sonatas aren't all that hard to follow some are still difficult!
concertos ftw
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by li0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah its either foot pedal and or even people moving in their seats. But you should be listening to the music rather than the sound, no?
biggrin.gif

Though sonatas aren't all that hard to follow some are still difficult!
concertos ftw
biggrin.gif

Listen to music? I listen to my equipment. The only reason for music is to listen to equipment. One can never have enough equipment. Equipment is the law. Equipment is the reason for existence. Equipment is God.

Feb 23, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And KSC75s are?
rolleyes.gif

They're Koss clip on headphones that get a lot of hype here, mainly because they sound OK and they're cheap. They're not the best for classical. I use mine when I'm doing something that doesn't require critical listening and may damage headphones such as gardening or puttering around the house.

Feb 25, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #12 of 17
Yes, I don't know about the KSC75, but the KSC-55 I had had much less detail than my HD-280.

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by brainsalad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listen to music? I listen to my equipment. The only reason for music is to listen to equipment. One can never have enough equipment. Equipment is the law. Equipment is the reason for existence. Equipment is God.

Spot on!
Equipment FTW!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

tongue.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #14 of 17
"It's not too distracting and over time I'm sure I'll learn to tune it out, but selective dismissal of sounds seems to defeat the purpose of my headphone upgrade!
Does anyone have an idea what this might be?"

You indeed will learn to listen 'next to it'. You're only starting to hear these things I gather. You'll hear a lot more, like musicians walking, taking a deep breath, coughing, clearing their throats, sniffing, turning over pages and the like. You will hear tape hiss, even on not so old recordings. Believe me, this is much better than hearing the sighs of noise reduction systems. Also, the turning up the volume on soft passages to artificially raise the noise floor is a pain in the *ss if you appreciate natural dynamics.
If you listen to classical or other unplugged music, you'll learn to value these things. After all, you're listening to humans, not sound cards or samplers.

Feb 25, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by brainsalad /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am 110% with you on that
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back