Headphone for crap recordings?
Oct 28, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #17 of 33
I'd rather listen to badly recorded music that I like than well recorded music that's just boring for me.

Case in point? The Faces' bootleg album "That's All You Need" floating around in the internet contains more superb Rod Stewart vocal chops than most of his studio recordings. Still on top of my playlist.

Same case with Led Zeppelin's rendition of Kashmir at the O2. That's still the most intense Kashmir I have ever heard.

I can still tolerate these as compared to compressed masterings. Do treat them as different from each other.

In my case, my HD600 is quite good to listen to these kind of recordings compared to my sharp ES7s.

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #18 of 33
Scullcandies Ink'd Buds... Just keep bobbing your head like you're enjoying it. Seriously, just crank up the volume.

Oct 28, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wonder how many head-fiers would love listening to my farts if i had steve albini record them.

Hire Steve Hoffman and we are talking. But don't forget about the chilli bean.

Oct 28, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #23 of 33
i briefly heard B&O Form 2 & i think that might smooth some hiss on craps.

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #25 of 33
I find my PortaPro's to be very forgiving of poorly recorded material. Most everything sounds "fun" on them, and so they are ideal iPod/moderate bitrate phones. Slightly less-so my PX100's.

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find my PortaPro's to be very forgiving of poorly recorded material. Most everything sounds "fun" on them, and so they are ideal iPod, moderate bitrate phones. Slightly less-so my PX100's.

i agree 100%. porta-pros are the best i've heard with poorly recorded material without feeling like i'm missing much.

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking for a headphone for crap recordings.
Brain says DT531 or DT440.
What do you think

Brain is wrong
biggrin.gif

DT531 is IMO rather rough around the edges and sibilant.
Don't know about the DT440.

More or less forgiving are AKG K240 Sextett, M-Audio Studiophile Q40, Sony MDR-XB700, BeyerDynamic DT 150, Sennheiser HD 580/ 600, Philips SBC HP830, AKG K271.

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking for a headphone for crap recordings.
Brain says DT531 or DT440.
What do you think

Any warm headphone will do the trick, generally the brighter the can the more revealing they are... think DT770, HD650, XB500

Oct 29, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #29 of 33
but if the headphone is bright it isn't really revealing anything, it's just adding it's own coloration. The best recording in the world would sound horrible if the phones were bright enough. And a warm sounding headphone could be more revealing than a bright one if it gave you a better sense of the recording. The term "revealing" seems to be used in a really weird way on head-fi. No offense of course graphicism, I know what you were saying

Oct 29, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #30 of 33
I think the HD650s are a good bet. Very smooth and sweet with a noticeable roll-off in the treble that can make poorly recorded material sound a little less edgy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back