Headphone cable didn't have 4 cores like I thought...safe to use a common ground with a replacement 2.5mm balanced TRRS plug?
Apr 1, 2019 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

AndroidVageta

500+ Head-Fier
I thought my Shockwave 3 IEM's had a 4 core cable (L+/L-,R+R-) BUT...it doesn't. Despite me being willing to bet my life on it being 4-cores (shielding is see through and I've "counted" several times..ugh...) it only has 3 cores (L,R,G).

I of course found this out AFTER cutting the 3.5mm jack off (lol) and now only have a 2.5mm TRRS plug to replace it with.

Can this work? I know it won't be balanced like I wanted but can I put the ground on one of the left or right channels grounds or could that mess something up? Thanks!

Apr 1, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 11
Can I split the ground between the left and right then? How do 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRS adapters work like these: https://doublehelixcables.com/product/eidolic-2-5mm-trrs-3-5mm-trs-adapter/

So it has to be possible...I assume I'd just split the ground
They work because the amplifier connected to a 3.5mm female jack is single ended meaning that the amplifier has a common ground output while a balanced source separates the L and R grounds.
You can use a 3.5 male to 2.5mm female trrs but you can't use a 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapter or you can short out the balanced amplifier when the grounds are combined.

Apr 1, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 11
Hmmm, well...that sucks LOL! Thanks! I just got done modding my IEM's too:

UmWP3zK.jpg

Oh well.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 11
Absolutely not (sorry). For a balanced amp, these are not grounds but amplified minus signals, 180 degrees out of phase with the positive signals for each channel. The amp would not take kindly to having these shorted together. 4 wires is a must.

Apr 2, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #10 of 11
Might pick some high-quality connector like Neutrik NTP3RC or some Switchcraft, return it to standard 3.5mm, sell it and buy the MMCX version. :p

Yeah I thought about that. MMCX version seems to have a simbilance issue though. Eh, I salvaged the original 3.5mm well enough so I'm good for now. Dammit though, really wanted that balanced goodness!

Apr 13, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #11 of 11
You do realize that only the Y-splitter down is 3 cores, right? So all you need is a short 4-core cable to replace the cable from Y-splitter down and terminate it with a balanced plug and you get yourself a balanced IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back