Headphone cable appreciation thread; show your love for headphone cables.
Aug 7, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #46 of 101
Great success!

I'd say stick with wav, but right now ALAC or FLAC works with my Amarra software so there's really no compelling reason.  When I see the little "1411kbps" reading though it warms my heart.  Lets me know that for better or worse, I'm hearing the best that the CD can offer.

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #47 of 101

They Cannot:

1. Enhance the sound of attached eqpt.

2. Alter the frequency response of a headphone

3. Increase sound-stage.

The above is not unbiased.  Do you own any custom headphone cables?  This is strictly an appreciation thread for headphone cables you do own.  What this thread isn't, is a bang on cable thread or a post your anti-cable bias' thread.

wink_face.gif

Do cables have a more significant sonic impact than the electronics in one's rig (e.g, amp, DAC)?

Aug 7, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #49 of 101
Do cables have a more significant sonic impact than the electronics in one's rig (e.g, amp, DAC)?

Considering that in my view, it's a synergistic approach to bringing quality sound to your brain center, I don't hold one in higher esteem over the other.  Is a tree it's parts, or the sum of it's parts?

For what it's worth, I'm an old man.  This isn't my first rodeo.
beerchug.gif

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #51 of 101
Yes, decent cables add to the headphone experience.  This, even if there are others who don't hear the difference.  That said, too me, what it's all about is "not" listening to your sound in critical mode all the time but being able to relax with your music, knowing that you've taken all reasonable steps to consistently present the best quality sound you're able to afford to get to your ears and then forget-about-it so you can listen to your music.

Music listening isn't about how far you can shove a stick up your....  Music is about bringing enjoyment to your brain's pleasure center.  Music is the drug and I need to score.  If I make this score via quality headphone cables, ta-riff.  I'm both grateful that headphone cables are there to be had and I have the disposable income to spend on these pleasure luxuries.

Currently listening to: Sawyer Brown: "Greatest Hits."

beyersmile.png

Aug 7, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #52 of 101

Quote:
 That said, too me, what it's all about is "not" listening to your sound in critical mode all the time but being able to relax with your music, knowing that you've taken all reasonable steps to consistently present the best quality sound you're able to afford to get to your ears and then forget-about-it so you can listen to your music.

I agree that there's some comfort in ensuring that one is getting the most out of one's system, but I am not comfortable when feeling ripped off.  The prices for audio gear are too high across the board, IMO, but cables strike me as particularly expensive.  The markup on cables seems to be exceedingly high.  Why is that?  Or is the markup actually reasonable?

Quote:
Music listening isn't about how far you can shove a stick up your....  

ok.

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #53 of 101

Quote:
I agree that there's some comfort in ensuring that one is getting the most out of one's system, but I am not comfortable when feeling ripped off.  The prices for audio gear are too high across the board, IMO, but cables strike me as particularly expensive.  The markup on cables seems to be exceedingly high.  Why is that?  Or is the markup actually reasonable?

Which is why I get people here to build the cable for me. Lot cheaper and I'm not paying that markup for them being on the site. 

Aug 7, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #54 of 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman458 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"... there's a bias in this thread as the title indicates.  Wasn't trying to hide it."

"...'They Cannot:
1. Enhance the sound of attached eqpt.
2. Alter the frequency response of a headphone
3. Increase sound-stage.'

The above is an opinion, not a fact and when presented as a fact, shows one's bias."

"I would simply kick back and listen to the music."

1. According to you, we are both biased... Fair enough, but why is it that you can tell me my theoretically biased opinion, which you think is presented as a fact, is not allowed to be shared, or that you will "[ask] the mods to step in." 
Really? Forums tend to show conflicting views, If you can't handle it, you had better be able to censor it, because if not, you have no business starting a thread and arguing about how biased cable haters have derailed it.

2. You are quite right when you say that is an opinion. You are, however, quite wrong to say that I presented it as a fact... I clearly remember titling my post with "My Opinion of Aftermarket/Custom Cables..." In general, things posted on the internet through the use of forums are opinions of the users who post them. Read more completely, and remember that everything you read online is not a fact, sorry for the confusion.

3. Sorry for speaking figuratively... "kick back" meant fight against the norm, and "listen to the music" meant to listen to the argument develop, the music of many people voicing their opinions... Don't whine about how people argue, or that your view or bias isn't the same... you can and should argue and post just as they will... only let them, instead pointing  to their opinion as being biased, presented as a fact, or misunderstood.

Aug 7, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #55 of 101
but I am not comfortable when feeling ripped off.

I don't think anybody feels comfortable with getting ripped off.  In the case of cables, I don't feel I'm getting ripped off.  That creates a philosophical rub; you do, I don't.  Both are correct.  I paid $380 for my headphone cables.  How much did you pay for your headphone cables?  To me, expensive, yes but yes, worth it.  Now you have value because to me, it was worth it.  And for balance, let's have the rest of the story, nobody is making anybody buy these cables.  It's all voluntary.  And to anybody who's worried about BS being used to sell cables, think about it, everything from politics (now there's an honest bunch) to mouthwash uses BS to sell their products.  Why are cables exempt from this universal sales technique?

The prices for audio gear are too high across the board, IMO, but cables strike me as particularly expensive.  The markup on cables seems to be exceedingly high.  Why is that?  Or is the markup actually reasonable?

Well, taking into consideration the cost of running any business and you automatically have expensive.  Now, take into consideration that you have one-of-a-kind, custom made to your specification, just for you and nobody else, cables.  That's going command a premium over mass produced high-end cables.

Hate the price of custom cables all day long. I'm good.  Now, how much do you think would be reasonable to charge so as to maintain the necessary infrastructure to make custom cables on demand?  That's one cable at a time, just for that one particular buyer, including e-mail correspondence time, special ordering of parts, responding to follow-ups, carrying stock parts on hand and expending the necessary time and gas it takes to stand in line at the Post Office so you, the creator of these cables can place those cables in a box, mail them express mail, just so somebody who didn't buy the cables can say they feel the customer is being ripped off with no concern for what the customer thinks and be expected to have enough left over in the cash box to last you until the next order comes in?

I'm the one buying the cables.  I'm the one happy with the cables.  Why should I care what anybody thinks to the negative?

This is an appreciation thread for those who have purchased headphone cables and are happy with them and yet a large number of posts are from the anti-cable crowd who can't stand that others are happy with their headphone cables.  What's with that?  In truth, I think it's jealousy.  Can anybody prove me wrong in that pronouncement?

???

Aug 7, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #56 of 101
Fair enough, but why is it that you can tell me my theoretically biased opinion, which you think is presented as a fact,

Because you presented your comments as fact when you wrote:

"...'They Cannot:

You're presenting your comment as if it's objective in your above.  You're not presenting the statement as being subjective.

Too many follow-up questions that lack context.

For context, with all due respect, as the OP, in the case of this thread, I don't care about your "opinions" on cables.  This is not an opinion thread.  Why?  Because as the title suggests, this is an appreciation thread.  If you don't have any love to give regarding your "headphone" cables, save your comments for another thread where they'll be appreciated.  Please reread my comments and the "thread title" for context and you'll better understand why I wrote what I wrote.

I can't believe the number of people who are wanting to pick a fight today.

Anybody here got any love for their "headphone" cables?

???

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #57 of 101
When you said you were both right... Your right. If someone doesn't hear a difference, then they don't. Im not going to tell them that they do, BECAUSE THEY DON'T. Its not up to me. So when I HEAR the impact great cables make, Im the only person that it matters to. I don't need to prove to anybody cables are important, because my ears are the only ones that matter to me.

Whew!

With all that said, the only headphone cable Ive ever upgraded was the cable to my HD650s. Cardas of course. It saved them from the for sale forums for many months. Without the upgrade cable, my SE530s easily beat them. Currently, my DT990s are itchen for a recable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back