Headphone Burn - in or Break - in...??
Dec 24, 2014 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TechGamer

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys...! ☺

I was recently looking into the Audiophile world... And bumped into this process or a term (I am not sure)...
It is supposed to bring out your Headphones or something... Make it more vibrant...
Can you give me some advice on the Right way to do this...
Which noise to be used... Like Pink Noise... Brown noise... Etc...
And also the approximate amount of time for burn - in...

I own a pair of ATH M50x, Sennheiser IE800, Sennheiser IE80 (my Beother's) and The Bose QC 20i which are yet to arrive...
All of em are fairly new... So there is pretty much less than 10 hours on each... And no specific burn in tracks...

Thanks for your advice guys....!! :blush:

Dec 24, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 6
Hey guys...! ☺

I was recently looking into the Audiophile world... And bumped into this process or a term (I am not sure)...
It is supposed to bring out your Headphones or something... Make it more vibrant...
Can you give me some advice on the Right way to do this...
Which noise to be used... Like Pink Noise... Brown noise... Etc...
And also the approximate amount of time for burn - in...

I own a pair of ATH M50x, Sennheiser IE800, Sennheiser IE80 (my Beother's) and The Bose QC 20i which are yet to arrive...
All of em are fairly new... So there is pretty much less than 10 hours on each... And no specific burn in tracks...

Thanks for your advice guys....!! :blush:

Burn in will have naturally as you use your headphones. You can use any sort of sound you like, I generally just use music. Put my iPod on shuffle and just leave it playing. Others use noise. Others let it happen as they use it.

Note, the only reason I don't let it happen naturally (and rush it) is because I write reviews and they need to come out in a timely fashion.

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for sharing your Thoughts...!

Do you know the right combination of noises to be played for burn in as I have heard that just music sometimes spoils the quality of the sound... (I have just read this... Not sure...)

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for sharing your Thoughts...!

Do you know the right combination of noises to be played for burn in as I have heard that just music sometimes spoils the quality of the sound... (I have just read this... Not sure...)

Just put your iPod or whatever on shuffle and play different genres…"just music" is in no way going to spoil anything.

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks man!

I read that at a different forum earlier...
Maybe it was just the person not liking the way his Headphones sounded after the burn - in... He claimed that His headphones were more kinda trebblish....

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks man!

I read that at a different forum earlier...
Maybe it was just the person not liking the way his Headphones sounded after the burn - in... He claimed that His headphones were more kinda trebblish....

No problem.
Usually with Hp's like Grado the treble tames, bass gets tighter, and mid-range/sound-stage opens up nicely. I just got a pair of Beyerdynamic T1's and listened to them for 4hrs last night and left them on an iPod (on shuffle with different genre's at a moderate volume) for about 10hrs today, and I am now listening to them for the past 2hrs, and will repeat this for the next few days…no harm at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back