Headphone Amps....
Jun 3, 2006 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Stevemitchell

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Folks - As a lurker for a bit, I finally sprang for a 10' Cardas Headphone Cable for Sennheiser Headphones. I'm trying real hard to hear the improvements, as I've really never had a "golden ear". I sense hearing things I've never noticed before, not never heard, but never noticed before.

I'm also thinking really hard about one of these MEIER AUDIO CORDA HEADFIVE amps - it's very inexpensive and would be a great addition based on the prelim data.

Some background:

I've been editing/mixing for over 15 years through headphones. I even learned to apply the reverse-equalization to offset the natural resonances of my big ol' head based on empirical data from headphone researchers.

Also, for all that time, I've always connected the jack directly to the amp's output parallel with a purely-resistive voltage-divider to provide a better load to the amp (currently a Carver TFM-55X).

The entire system from source/digital mixer is TOS up to the DA converter going into the Carver Pre-Amp so there's no physical electrical connection between the audio bus and the monitoring setup. This provides enough volume to slighly "feel" bass drums, pedal organs and stuff when listening on my Senns.

To allay my own fears, I had my hearing checked just last Friday, and was pleased that I've not destroyed it with this setup - it was actually good for a 50-year old fart like me.

So after all this exposition, my question is, what kind of SPL can I expect from a true headphone amp, playing across 100-150 Ohms?

Steve

Jun 5, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 4
Hello? thud, thud <crickets chirping, wind blowing>. Is this thing on?

Steve

Jun 5, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevemitchell
So after all this exposition, my question is, what kind of SPL can I expect from a true headphone amp, playing across 100-150 Ohms?

Loud enough to make your ears bleed, or damage your hearing. The MEIER AUDIO CORDA HEADFIVE will certainly be a great amplifier per dollar. Meier Audio products have earned legendary status in value over the past few years.

Jun 7, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 4
Graphically put - I appreciate it. Any other opinions?

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back