Headphone amplifier for pc!
Nov 28, 2012 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cpgr

New Head-Fier
Hi ,all i'm going to buy the shure srh440(44ohm) headphones and i would like to find a suitable headphone soundcard.
I found the asus xonar soundcards but i don't know wich one is better for headphone listening cause some have amps and some don't.I'm looking for amplified headphone sound cause a friend of mine has the xonar dgx and the amp which has on it makes a difference on his audio technica m50's(38ohm) ..
But in posts i looked it's said that an amp is required only for 50-60  ohm headphones and above.
I'm akso considering the fiio amps but they are hard to find in greece where i am..
Budget is <100$/euro

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Hi ,all i'm going to buy the Shure srh440(44ohm) headphones and I would like to find a suitable headphone sound card.
I found the Asus Xonar sound cards but i don't know which one is better for headphone listening cause some have amps and some don't.I'm looking for amplified headphone sound cause a friend of mine has the Xonar DGX and the amp which has on it makes a difference on his Audio Technica m50's(38ohm) ..
But in posts I looked it's said that an amp is required only for 50-60  Ohm headphones and above.
I'm also considering the Fiio amps but they are hard to find in Greece where I am..
Budget is <100$/euro

There is more to headphone amplifiers then just raw power, the design of the headphone amplifier (like impedance) can make a difference in sound quality.
Just get the Xonar DG or DGX sound.card, half-way decent headphone amplifier.

Otherwise it's a lot more money to improve audio quality for headphones that only cost $90 in the first place.

Back in 1983 I went to one of the islands near Athens for a few days, the weather and the water were just perfect.

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 5
Yeap i agree wth you ,but i was just wondering how the ohm's and the SNR values are related..for example at 100db which headphone sounds louder a 40ohm or a 100ohm?

p.s You really should come visit greece again !!

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 5
The Asus Xonar DG/DGX is a nice entry level soundcard, above all onboard audio chips, and comes with a headphone amp that can your SRH440 with no problems whatsoever. The card is a good option for music and movies, as well as light gaming. With that card, you can upgrade headphones to higher quality models and still be able to drive them reasonably, as long as they're not inherently hard to drive, which in that case will require you to get a better amp.

And I must agree that the mediterranean landscape and weather is great :)

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Yeap i agree with you ,but i was just wondering how the ohm's and the SNR values are related..for example at 100db which headphone sounds louder a 40-Ohm or a 100-Ohm?

p.s You really should come visit greece again !!

Louder is kind of a crude way a rating a headphone, putting out lots of voltage is easy and anything gets loud.
With today modern headphones, a headphone like the 25-Ohm Denon AH-D2000 can have more bass then a 120-Ohm Takstar TS-671.

I'm sure Greece still has great weather. and your country could use the tourist money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back