Headphone amp: voltage, current, resistance and power?
Jun 8, 2006 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bahamot

500+ Head-Fier
After reading through several headphone amp spec, I found voltage, current, resistance and power are always mentioned on the specs. Any knowledgable head-fiers can enlighten me, which is more important amongst the metioned attributes?

For example, if the headphone amp is able to output to 4 Ohm headphones with maximum current 300 mAh. And it is stated that the headphone amp can output 2.88W/32 Ohm. If my headphone is AKG K701, can the headphone amp drive the K701? Why?

Thanks heaps.
icon10.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #2 of 10
If its solid state, none of it really matters since the majority of amps can drive pretty much any can and have low output impedance. If its a tube design then if the can is high impedance, like a Senn 650, then you want good voltage swing. If its low impedance, like your AKG 701, then current and output impedance matter most since a high output impedance would cripple control and low current delivery would make driving the can difficult.

Jun 9, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 10
Technically after output impedance and current ability its all about quality not spec.

Depending on your budget, some no brainer amps for the AKG 701 would be:

HeadAmp Lite/GS-1
SinglePower PPX SLAM
Mapletree Ear+ HD
HeadRoom Desktop
Corda Aria/HA-2 MKII

Sure there are others, but those are the ones coming to mind.

Jun 9, 2006 at 9:31 AM Post #5 of 10
What's the deal? Compared to others is it:
Too big? or
Too expensive? or
Too ugly? or
Does it sound worse than average?

I got one:
580smile.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 9:50 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamot
So, I should only need to worry the current and the output impedance if I use K701? What about the amplifier's power output?

Most good headphone amps will go louder than your hearing can bear, so it isn't particularly important.

Jun 9, 2006 at 11:03 AM Post #8 of 10
I am curious as to why there is NOT more discussion of the Mapletree headphone amp(s) on this board, so I offered some possibilities.

I am very very happy with my HD + unit. Hence, the happy guy listening, and that is why i wonder. Is it just me that loves this product?

Do you understand now? Sorry for the confusion.

Jun 9, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #9 of 10
I think Mapletree gets less press because it only has 1 model, the model hasn't changed, its a Canadian company, isn't available next day and yes unfortunately isn't well photographed so tend to look bad.

Sadly Head-Fi is very much about FOTM, for a company to stay active on these forums they need to introduce new, not necessarily different, products from time to time. Grado is a great example. In 03 its was a Senn v Grado hate fest. Beyer releases the 880 and poof Grado dissappears and its a Senn v Beyer fest. Same continues for AKG v Senn and with the release of GS1 right back to Grado v Senn with AKG sidelined.

Sadly if Mapletree reworked the case, gave it a new name and sent samples to some of the heavy hitters they'd be back in the spot light. But and its a big but, I think Mapletree is a side project since the Doc is retired. Not sure he's interested in turning Mapletree into a HeadAmp.

Jun 9, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #10 of 10
He has a nice backlog and he is quick about meeting orders.

I understand what you are saying. I don't know enough about the "consumers" on this board to agree or not, but i guess if audio marketing can drive middle-age male decisions in the hi-end part of the market, it can do it in spades at the head-end. (No pun).

So, for general consumption, I will just say this is a great sounding amp and one that is designed around affordable tubes. I have tried 3 different high priced NOS 5751s and I keep coming back to the new stock Sovteks!

I have changed headphone cables, and so i will plug Moon-Audio's Black Dragon cable design. It is at least on a par with Audio Note Lexus cables, perhaps closing in on the AU-24, just a bit warmer. This is a really great match with the Mapletree tube amp: warmth, good resolution, good dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back