Headphone amp recommendation for Sennheiser Momentum
Jun 28, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #16 of 59
I generally use Flac and 320kbps Mp3 files.

I currently do not have any 24-bit songs, but some of the guys in the thread might be able to help you out with that.

As of the difference, I would not know, so asking someone who has used it before in the C3 thread would be advised. I do know that the C3 will only play 24-bit files if the format is WAV. Other than that, I believe 16-bit is the highest for flac.

Sorry I couldn't help you out there.

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #17 of 59
No worries at all, mate. I think that 16bit flac and 320kbps mp3 will be just fine for me 
smily_headphones1.gif

I just noticed that Colorfly also make other DAPs, like the CK3. Might the CK3 be as good as the C3 but allow us to create playlists? What about the C4? Sorry about the continuous stream of bloody questions!

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #18 of 59
Quote:
No worries at all, mate. I think that 16bit flac and 320kbps mp3 will be just fine for me 
smily_headphones1.gif

I just noticed that Colorfly also make other DAPs, like the CK3. Might the CK3 be as good as the C3 but allow us to create playlists? What about the C4? Sorry about the continuous stream of bloody questions!

Haha, it's nothing, mate:) If I can help send you in the right direction, then I'd be glad to help you out:)

Anyways, back to your questions. 

Yes, Colorfly also makes other DAPs. The CK4, according to a fellow trusted Head-Fi'er I know who has owned this DAP before, he tells me that the CK4 is a good DAP to an extent, but it is advised you take the C3 over CK4 for a few reasons: Cheaper, smaller, better battery life, and only about 20% lesser quality. So the choice between the CK4 and C3 is now up to you to decide.

Now onto the great flagship, C4. Being the flagship, I'm sure it is to outperform the C3 and CK4 anyday. It's probably the C3 times two in terms of performance and quality (Don't quote me on that). I do not own one, nor do I know anyone who has one, so I can't say anything on that, besides tell you to go look up some reviews, if there are any. 

Now back to your playlist question, well...I was quite upset when I realised that I could not make playlists on the C3, but I soon got over that due to the sound quality. So, if you're picky like me, I just have to manually make playlists by making folders on the Micro SD card. So, if I want, let's say, an RnB playlist, I'll just make a folder called that and dump the songs I want in that playlist in there.
If you're also like me, how you'd like the "Recently Added" folder, well, that is also missing, BUT, every song you add, will be added at the bottom of the list, so pretty much, you'll see what you last added at the bottom of the list, which is fairly easy to access by pressing the up button, once. 

The CK4, according to my mate, said that it does not have playlists, but rather a "favorites" folder/playlist. And seeing that the CK4 has similar UI to the C4, I'd assume that'd be the same on the C4 (Don't quote me on that either).

Hope I could assist you there with your needs:)

Jun 28, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #20 of 59
Ah, Ok. No worries. I think I can also work around not having a playlist :)

Thank you, SkyBleu.

No problem, mate!

If you don't mind me asking, what's your final decision on the Color fly DAPs?:)

Jun 28, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #22 of 59
I'll go with the C3. The C4 is $800 and I agree with your points about the CK3 :)

Thanks, SkyBleu

Good choice! Haha

Glad you could come to a final conclusion. The C3 and BH won't disappoint you for the price, I can assure you. :)

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #23 of 59
The C3 is a little picky about the file format though. It accepts 16/44 flac files, and 24-bit wav files. There were reports of incompatibilities in the c3 thread related to the tools used to convert the files.

I have a Lumia 920 too, and unfortunately, that doesn't support flac yet - at least not till VLC release their "modern" app.

Looks like we're gonna be audio twins: C3/Lumia 920 > C&C BH > Momentums :)

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #24 of 59
Hi Nazeem and SkyBleu,

I just purchased a C&C BH2 and a ZY Cable from http://www.shenzhenaudio.com I preferred to use Shenzhenaudio over eBay, as they are the official distributor for C&C gear and I can purchase multiple items at once haha.

SkyBleu, I did some more reading about the Lumia and for now I'm going to try it before ordering the C3.

One thing I am not so sure about is the cable I purchased. The name says:
"heavyweight Baolong 3.5 stereo cable for recording"

Is this going to be okay for playback?

Now, I just need to go pickup a pair of brown Momentum cans 
beyersmile.png

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #25 of 59
Kinda surprised no suggestion of the Digizoid ZO2.. I have to say though, from my 4th gen iPod "classic", I have no desire to buy an external amp for my Momentum's. Just my own experience.

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #26 of 59
Hi JP,

Taking a quick look at the Digizoid just now, it seems that it might fill a bit of a niche as a Bass enhancer and be recognised for this more so than for its use as an all-round amp. Indeed, the BH and BH2 have a very good reputation as an all-round amplifier that also can boost Bass quite well when required. But, by default will produce excellent sound without coloring it too much, which is what I want from the Momentum headphones.

When I tested the Momentum phones with my L920 I found that the sound was anemic and low and not really acceptable. I should be able to confirm my experience with the combo in the coming weeks, albeit from the perspective of a discerning main-streamer haha.

Jun 29, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #27 of 59
Quote:
Hi Nazeem and SkyBleu,

I just purchased a C&C BH2 and a ZY Cable from http://www.shenzhenaudio.com I preferred to use Shenzhenaudio over eBay, as they are the official distributor for C&C gear and I can purchase multiple items at once haha.

SkyBleu, I did some more reading about the Lumia and for now I'm going to try it before ordering the C3.

One thing I am not so sure about is the cable I purchased. The name says:
"heavyweight Baolong 3.5 stereo cable for recording"

Is this going to be okay for playback?

Now, I just need to go pickup a pair of brown Momentum cans 
beyersmile.png

That's alright, mate! Wherever you want to buy it from, is okay with us:)

Yes, go right ahead and give the Lumia a shot, hopefully the BH will drive it well! 
biggrin.gif

Of course it's going to be okay for playback:) If it's a 3.5mm to 3.5mm, it should work as an interconnect as well as an AUX cable (I'm pretty sure). The name is just to give it some uniqueness, I assume. 

Rightio, go pick of those cans! They were your priority when you came to this thread, haha.

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #28 of 59
Haha, yeah, just need to get those cans.

Although, after that I need some HD versions of the music I like. Is there a good application available on windows that can allow me to evaluate the quality of my current music files? Is there a good site I can buy music from? I tried HDtracks and found their range a bit limited for groups. Great for solo artists - although, there was no Peter Gabriel and only one album by David Bowie. Couldn't search by group, so that excluded a whole lot of music.

Cheers

Jun 29, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #29 of 59
Quote:

Although, after that I need some HD versions of the music I like. Is there a good application available on windows that can allow me to evaluate the quality of my current music files? Is there a good site I can buy music from? I tried HDtracks and found their range a bit limited for groups. Great for solo artists - although, there was no Peter Gabriel and only one album by David Bowie. Couldn't search by group, so that excluded a whole lot of music.

Cheers

Hmm...I've never personally owned a Windows phone, so I can't exactly help you with that.

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #30 of 59
Quote:

Cheers

You can try one of the streaming apps on WP8 (Spotify, Pandora, etc) that stream 320kbps. The OS doesn't natively support flac yet, but vlc should sort that out soon.

From a desktop client perspective, I use media monkey for my audio file management - you can see what tracks are HD by filtering by bitrate. For playback, foobar2000 FTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back