Headphone Amp question..
Apr 9, 2003 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

johnny sack

100+ Head-Fier
I have a few questions about headphone amps...at what point should I decide to buy a headphone amp? I just got a pair of HD280 and I like them, but...maybe I would like them more with an amp? I just don't know much about the amps at all.

Also, what does DIY stand for, Do It Yourself?

any feedback will help me

Apr 9, 2003 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 3
You get an amp when you either

A. Have extra money and can afford a better sound, or
B. You like the sound you have, but want to improve upon it with a dedicated headamp.

You might want to start off with either a META42 that is custom built, a Porda Corda, or Total Airhead, etc. That would be a good, somewhat cheap start that would let you know if you want to use an amp, like the better sound, and will start you on the way to spending tons and tons of monoey you don't have.
biggrin.gif

DIY does indeed stand for Do It Yourself. DIYFO meand For Others, or someone that builds something DIY to sell to someone else.

Apr 9, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 3
I have a total airhead and a "Little" amp (both from Headroom), both the new versions. If you're looking to improve your sound I wouldn't waste money on the total airhead. At best, it will increase the volume of the sound and that's it. At worst, it can introduce some nasty clipping and distortions. The basic Little, on the other hand, is a great entry level home amp that has made a noticeable improvement on my HD580's and you can upgrade it from there. You can probably get better bang for you buck from a custom built amp vs. the headroom amps, but Headroom has a great return policy and they have support and stuff. It's up to you to decide which is better!

Mike U.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back