Headphone Amp: Just too many - how to get it right?
Jul 6, 2017 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Balder

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I am about to buy my first dedicated headphone amp, stationary. I have a budget that can stretch up to US$50, max!

I don't want it to have a DAC, got 2 and a third on the way...

My main HP are the Shure SRH940, love them! I know people who don't like them, have had BQ problems...

My pair is as good as new, got them 2013, on a sale - for the Swedish price 2000 SEK(ca US$220).

They are "famus" for beeing "over bright/bass light", thats not true, with the right combination of gear they tell the trouth... some may not like that, i can understand that a warm fuzzy "colour", may appeal to some... but my hearing have seen better days, about 30 - 40 rock/metal concerts in the late 70*s, early 80*s... so maybe the Shure are "bright"...

My present "problem" is that the HP out from my old Adcom GFP-555, sounds a bit "hard", and if i use my A/V Yamaha RX-V1800 HP out, it sounds "fuzzy"....

So i have decided on either a class A amp or, never tried, Tube... found two candidates in my price range:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nobsound-NS...id=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=272421131340

Tube buffer, solid state amp, found a thread here about it, mostly positive, but some said that low imp HP, sensitive ones may be a bad idea? My Shure have 42 Ohm.... so would that work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Douk-Audio-...699169&hash=item41a4c2dc38:g:EwgAAOSwCypWoAjM

Class A, real RCA input, real 6.3 mm HP out. seems realy good! But i have not found any info anywhere about it, so is it good?

There are loads of others out there, but after days of intensive searching... these two makes most sense for the money... I know, can't expect to much for that budget....

I am confused, please advise me, i am old in the HiFi "game", but these things that are coming out of China? It seems like a "lottery" to buy an item....

Any input is welcome/Cheers!

Jul 6, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 7
Have not heard either of the Nobosounds, so they are an unknown to me. There is also the FiiO A3 for just a hair over $50. You might check it out and see what you think. There will be far more information on it than on the Nobosounds, We know it is solid. Or, you may just want to take a flyer on the Douk. I must say, the amps are quite attractive externally. The question is, what is inside???

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 7
I haven't heard of the ones you mentioned, and at $50 I would stay far away from off-brand amps or any gear that nobody has heard of/can't find good information on. Stick with companies like Schiit, FiiO, etc. I think FiiO has a few options in your price range. They are masters of price to performance ratio and offer plenty of options for any budget

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 7
I haven't heard of the ones you mentioned, and at $50 I would stay far away from off-brand amps or any gear that nobody has heard of/can't find good information on. Stick with companies like Schiit, FiiO, etc. I think FiiO has a few options in your price range. They are masters of price to performance ratio and offer plenty of options for any budget

I have had the NOBsound 08 for a year now and it is a bargain. Swapped out tubes but stocks are good also. Warm, sweet sound and plenty of power. Buy from Amazon though so if you do have a problem in first month or so can return easily. Impressed so much I am eyeing their other stuff. Good luck!

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #6 of 7
I am about to buy my first dedicated headphone amp, stationary. I have a budget that can stretch up to US$50, max!

I don't want it to have a DAC, got 2 and a third on the way...

My main HP are the Shure SRH940, love them! I know people who don't like them, have had BQ problems...

My pair is as good as new, got them 2013, on a sale - for the Swedish price 2000 SEK(ca US$220).

They are "famus" for beeing "over bright/bass light", thats not true, with the right combination of gear they tell the trouth... some may not like that, i can understand that a warm fuzzy "colour", may appeal to some... but my hearing have seen better days, about 30 - 40 rock/metal concerts in the late 70*s, early 80*s... so maybe the Shure are "bright"...

My present "problem" is that the HP out from my old Adcom GFP-555, sounds a bit "hard", and if i use my A/V Yamaha RX-V1800 HP out, it sounds "fuzzy"....

So i have decided on either a class A amp or, never tried, Tube... found two candidates in my price range:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nobsound-NS-08E-6J9-Vacuum-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-Mini-Stereo-Audio-Hi-Fi-Amp/262140822972?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=2&asc=41376&meid=c56a749ab91c4bc4bd6d659109a049cd&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=272421131340

Tube buffer, solid state amp, found a thread here about it, mostly positive, but some said that low imp HP, sensitive ones may be a bad idea? My Shure have 42 Ohm.... so would that work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Douk-Audio-...699169&hash=item41a4c2dc38:g:EwgAAOSwCypWoAjM

Class A, real RCA input, real 6.3 mm HP out. seems realy good! But i have not found any info anywhere about it, so is it good?

There are loads of others out there, but after days of intensive searching... these two makes most sense for the money... I know, can't expect to much for that budget....

I am confused, please advise me, i am old in the HiFi "game", but these things that are coming out of China?
It seems like a "lottery" to buy an item....

Any input is welcome/Cheers!

Off-brand cheap amps, and especially tube amps, might have a high likelihood of non-linear response and high levels of noise. You might not find it any better than what you're using now.

If anything try the Pangea HP101 from Amazon US. I have it and can vouch for that one. More noise than Meier or Violectric but then again, practically everything does (plus I use a smartphone as a music server, so that likely adds to some of the noise - Airplane Mode removes a lot of it).

Given shipping and maybe import duties you might as well save up and get something like the O2-ODAC from Head-N-HiFi in Switzerland, or try the Meier Corda Rock with any good DAC.

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 7
Thank's for the input guys!

You could build one.

Yes, found a few "cards" that looks intersesting, one based on "Hood" class A, but then i need a PSU.... another one called something like "RJ 1...", 18 V DC adapter.... so that's definitly one way to go, as long as i don't have to solder to much - can do it, but ain't got the tools.

I have had the NOBsound 08 for a year now and it is a bargain. Swapped out tubes but stocks are good also. Warm, sweet sound and plenty of power. Buy from Amazon though so if you do have a problem in first month or so can return easily. Impressed so much I am eyeing their other stuff. Good luck!

Amazon is not an option for me, live in Sweden, custums slams on like 100% (if you declare it), and a fat penalty (if you don't declare it)! That "08": some said that low imp HP (like mine 42 ohm's), could be a problem?

Have not heard either of the Nobosounds, so they are an unknown to me. There is also the FiiO A3 for just a hair over $50. You might check it out and see what you think. There will be far more information on it than on the Nobosounds, We know it is solid. Or, you may just want to take a flyer on the Douk. I must say, the amps are quite attractive externally. The question is, what is inside???

Gona have a look at that one...

Thank's/Cheers/T.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back