Headphone amp for Sony V6's
Nov 26, 2010 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Yomtvraps

New Head-Fier
Ive looked around these forums a fare amount and havent been able to find a good answer to my question. I have a pair of Sony v6's that I use with my ipod and on my computer,  I love them but it would be nice to get some better sound out of them. My question is whether or not it'd be worth getting a portable amp for them. my budget is around 100-200 dollars, so for this price would i be able to get an amp that would really make a difference? 

Feb 3, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #3 of 10
I have the sony 7506, extremely similar there is even people who say they are the same just re-branded and re-cabled. I personally find they have a little brighter highs but other than that are quite comparable.

I will be getting a RSA Hornet-M before this weekend hopefully and I will let you know how it sounds.

Feb 6, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 10
I have those and have listened to them unamped and through the udac2 and the current tube amp I have. While I found that the amps can add some flavor/power to them, I usually use them through my tv and they sound almost as good imo. So I'm not sure they would be worth the investment of an amp unless you would be using the amp later on for different headphones. The udac2 is a decent amp and can be a stand alone DAC as well, which might be a good deal for you if you have your heart set on an amp. People seem to like the e7 for portability and use with the e9. One note is that the tube amp I have does calm down the teeth-chattering highs on the V6 a bit.

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 10
Alright, as promised I told you I would get back to you. I gave myself the weekend to listen the the amp and headphones ALOT.

Setup was as follows

Source: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD <-- dont judge its the best sounding piece of creative out there right now.
Cables: 1/8th to 1/8th
Amp : RSA Hornet-M (portable amp bought used) so burned in for optimal performance.
Headphones: MDR-7506

Having used the 7506 for almost 2 years now un-amped i can certainly say that in both portable setup (with amp) and using new sound card (with amp) there is quite an audible difference.

The following things were the most obvious:
-bright highs were drastically reduced especially when using low gain setting (amp specific).
-bass is much more present without disrupting mid's like playing right from DAP with high volume does.
-soundstage begins to show where as before everything was quite mashed up with very little separation coming right from source.
-listening at same levels or higher can be done much longer with the amp without getting any kind of fatigue.

while the V6/7506 may be an inexpensive monitor they indefinitely benefit from a decent amplification. Be warned... this is where you will hate yourself for buying an amp... you will see the audible differences and be driven to spend way more money than you ever intended, I am now facing this problem only 3 days after listening to this amp/headphone combo. Custom IEM's are next upgrade for me .

Best of luck in your future purchase(s) [I know there will be more after]
Feel free to ask any questions.

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #10 of 10
^^ Agree with Dave, you will get more bang for your buck through a headphone upgrade than spending 200-300$ on a good portable amp & the only reason i got the amp is because i'm getting my ear impressions done  on the 20th for my custom's which will benefit from the amplification much more.

Good luck out there and leave your credit cards at home and out of reach. Heck just cut them up now while your ahead...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back