Headphone/Amp advice needed - budget $500+
Sep 18, 2010 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

serious7

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for my first pair of headphones AND Amplifier. My use will be strictly for home. I have a desktop with only on board sound. My budget is $500 Canadian and I am only looking for a amp (not portable but not too big either something easy to carry when moving because I am a student) that can be used with ANY headphones. I am also looking for a very decent headphone pair. I am looking for New headphones while I can live with used amps...

The type of music/sounds I listen to

-Piano
-Game music 
-Songs with a lot of vocals and traditional Indian instruments
-Hip Hop
-Would love to have a strong bass
-Japanese Pop or Korean Pop sometimes lol..anime stuff basically
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//tongue.gif" title="
tongue.gif
" width="" />

Type of music I never listen to
-Country
-Rock
-Heavy Metal

I have no knowledge whatsoever on the amp side. All I am aware of is that Bose/Dr.Dre sucks. Would I need to upgrade my computer to get a good source of sound? Would an Amp fulfill the sound part? What type of headphones should I be getting? I am willing to raise my investment a few hundred more if it is justifiable. 

Please help this noobie out...

Edit: I also know a store to try some headphones out. I live in the Ottawa area if anyone can provide me with more tips on stores that let you try out some cans. My biggest issue is understanding what I need for my sound source. All I know is Im using a desktop and I will need an amp. I dont know how the two are connected though.  

Thanks!

Sep 18, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 10
i would recommend this:

Sennheiser HD-650:
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-650-Lightweight-Audiophile/dp/B00018MSNI/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1284860282&sr=8-1

Bottle Head Crack OTL Amplifier:
http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php?crn=44&rn=442&action=show_detail

and if you want to get this sound card it can only help the sound quality:
http://www.amazon.com/Xonar-DX-Channels-Express-Interface/dp/B0017DJXG6/ref=sr_1_2?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1284860361&sr=8-2

right there is my dream audio system.  if i had the money you had, this is what i would get.  and guitar center is the best place to test out headphones i heard.  no pun intended.

Sep 18, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 10
posts like this will help you convince the hd650's are the pair to get:

I finally realized after listening to so many different headphones, $100 pairs to $5000 i still realized that, i still love my sennheiser hd650s. i have never heard another headphone that can produce detailed but heavy bass like the sennheiser hd650s. Even though the sound is a little laid back, i still love them. i tried the grado sr325is and i just didnt like the sound, it was sort of muffled, there was (to me) hardly any detail. all i have to say is I LOVE MY 650s! No one can take them away from me!
rating:
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

now tell about your experiences =).

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #4 of 10
You  read my mind.
smily_headphones1.gif
I was just looking at hd 650 and comparing them to hd 600. I saw that there is a huge price difference between the two and the only noticable difference is the bass from the 650. Can you confirm if that is true? 

Also I have another question about the amp issue. What is the difference between a DAC and an AMP? Does a DAC serve as an AMP as well because if I just buy an amp, that just means I will need to purchase a seperate audio card when I dont really need to...

Also do you have any better looking amps than that because that looks so...ugly >.> 

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #5 of 10
i was just recommended the mini3 because i heard good things about it as well.  it should drive the hd600's just fine.  check out my posts to find a link.  otherwise, i dont know enough about amps or dacs to answer that question, or the hd600 vs hd650 bass question.  all i know is the hd600 has less details than the hd650.  but i do know the bass with the hd650 is "dark" but i do believe there is more bass.  i think the hd600 are the better headphone for the price, but the hd650 need more to power them and they look tons better imo.  anyways someone else should help here because i think i am just making things up lol.

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #6 of 10
and with audio, you will soon learn that cosmetics should not matter to you at all if you want good sound.  i had the hd555 because they look good, then i got the ugly ad700's and i was amazed at how much better they sound.  you will soon learn that looks are nothing.  if you ever heard the term "it's not the outside that matters, it's the inside".

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #7 of 10
true but my mother wouldnt be happy with that amp box. it looks....a little hippyish if you know what i mean ... LOL. >.> 

I'm In ottawa Canada so I dont think the sites you gave me will work for me
frown.gif

Sep 19, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Really? Anime consists of both Rock and Pop mostly. So you don't listen to J-rock?

Anyways, I'd recommend K701/K702 and M³. Buy them used if you can. 

Yeah, but I dont listen to J-rock. haha. Im more for j-pop. Maybe the odd j-rock track I might enjoy. I hear the asus xonar essence stx can power any headphone very nicely. Is that true?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back