Headphone advice - The choice between the HE-400 and the HD650
Apr 1, 2014 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

filphil

New Head-Fier
As the title suggests, I'm looking to pick up a new set of cans.  I won't make believe I'm an audiophile and would like to choose between the HE-400 and the HD650 if suitable for my use. 

I've had the experience of listening to ATH ad700(owned), HD 555, and HD595 extensively while I currently own a HE-300.  I prefer the open back designs so far, albeit, because I have not had a chance to listen to respectable closed headphones.  I also use an AUNE T1 dac/amp with the stock 6922 tube. 

I prefer to use these as a desktop headphone for my PC.  I can spend hours at a time with these headphones on.  In terms of comfort, the ATH ad700 and HE-300 have been more than acceptable for the sessions I've had and I have not been fatigued by sound signature or weight of the cans. 

If it would help, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34O9aWGzmA4, this is a song I've listened to for the past week and would cover most(40%) of what I listen to.  I do have a wide variety of genres I listen to so I'm simply putting this in as a reference.

If anyone has some guidance they'd like to provide, please do so.  I'm all ears and will take any suggestions.  

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 11
The HE-400's are better suited for electronic music, while the 650's will pretty much handle whatever you throw at them. I think that while the 400's are a better choice for your needs, the 650's are a better long term choice. So if you know you're not planning on keeping the headphones for a while, go with the 400's. If you're looking for a more permanent solution, go with the 650's.

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 11
I've read the HE-400 are well suited to less expensive amps(like my aune t1) while the HD600/650 series tends to scale well with amplification choices.  I'd like to have this set for the long term because I do not see myself stepping in to the high end world passed this price range.  But then again, I did not think I'd put the money down for the HE-300 which I bought used from this forum.

Thank you for your input, NotaLefty.

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 11
The HD650 was one of the few open-back that made me go "oh wow, this just sounds really natural and enjoyable". Certainly more than the HE-400's. Between those to, in MY mind, it's not even a contest. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 11
I have both, and enjoy the HE-400 MUCH more when it comes to EDM's, since it's more "explosive" and has a V-shaped sound. But I think anything that requires a mid emphasis like a vocal (especially a male voice) and a more neutral overall sound tend to favor the HD650 more. I planned to return the HE-400 to amazon initially, but ended up using it so much that I past the return policy date. It was so hard for me to decide to either return the HE-400 or sell the HD650 so I ended up keeping both. I think overall though, the HD650 has a slight edge in the long run as it offers a more natural overall sound which makes it sound better with more genres of music than the HE-400, is *MUCH* more comfortable, will definitely have a higher resell value than the HE-400 because of its popularity and better looks, and scale more with higher quality amps.

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 11
Do a google search, there's been plenty said. What really stuck with me in my research was that the HE400's are much more "impressive" sounding than the 650s which are a more subtle beauty. They really are night and day, the two.

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #7 of 11
Do a google search, there's been plenty said. What really stuck with me in my research was that the HE400's are much more "impressive" sounding than the 650s which are a more subtle beauty. They really are night and day, the two.

@filphil

Always be careful with any kind of reviews who don't do a 1-2-1 comparison. I take the word from someone who has both headphones (at the same time) and can run them from the same source, with the same audio chain over anyone who remembers sound signatures or briefly listened to one of the headphones in different environments etc.

Anyhow, both are amazing headphones for sure and I would love to listen to them soon, especially since I recently got my first Hifiman (RE-400) and think they are really nice. Only trust your own ears! 
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
K

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #8 of 11
I appreciate the input, everyone.  What I can ask is if anyone has listened to any of the headphones I've had experience with and how do they compare to them?  In particular the HD595 and HE-300 compared to their higher end brothers. 

It's truly a tough choice because I don't know if I can listen to these two side by side.  I may just have to take the plunge and pick one and hope for the best.  If not, I'll re-sell in hopes that the other set of cans would be preferable.  What's usually said though is that both are great and you couldn't go wrong with either and that gives me quite a bit of relief.

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #9 of 11
  I appreciate the input, everyone.  What I can ask is if anyone has listened to any of the headphones I've had experience with and how do they compare to them?  In particular the HD595 and HE-300 compared to their higher end brothers. 

It's truly a tough choice because I don't know if I can listen to these two side by side.  I may just have to take the plunge and pick one and hope for the best.  If not, I'll re-sell in hopes that the other set of cans would be preferable.  What's usually said though is that both are great and you couldn't go wrong with either and that gives me quite a bit of relief.

I think that is a very good way forward. Nothing beats having more experience under your belt. No matter your choice, they will be great and a real step up, so you will certainly have plenty of fun with your music.

Cheers,
K

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 11
I actually just picked up a set of HD650 from a user on this forum.  It'll be here friday.  Unfortunately I won't be able to use them until I head back from texas on Monday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back