Headphone: $1000
Apr 15, 2013 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

wolfetan44

Headphoneus Supremus
My head has been spinning in circles, and I just want to make a thread for it. I listen to a lot of rock and bands that use a synthesizer. The songs that use synthesizer(you guys are probably thinking electronica) It has little to no bass. My budget is $1000, I'm looking for a open headphone, and one that is comfortable. Some of the headphones I've been looking at are the LCD2 and HD650. I want something fast too.
Some test songs are:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxvGHQHiY70
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmPldlstNaY
I want a headphone that won't destroy bad recordings either.
This could also be a headphone setup for $1000. Also, I watch a lot of TV shows and some movies.

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 12
From your profile it looks like you have owned the Mad Dogs before. I find them to be pretty similar to the LCD sound. If you got rid of them mainly because of the sound. You MIGHT not like the lcd2. HD650 would be great IMO but in the end, if you are spending this much, try to find a pair to try out ^_^)b

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 12
I would try the HE-500 OR HE-6

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
I would try the HE-500 OR HE-6

I didn't like the HE-500 when I tried them and the HE-6 is too expensive.

Quote:
From your profile it looks like you have owned the Mad Dogs before. I find them to be pretty similar to the LCD sound. If you got rid of them mainly because of the sound. You MIGHT not like the lcd2. HD650 would be great IMO but in the end, if you are spending this much, try to find a pair to try out ^_^)b

I returned them due to them being too big, as I bought them to be portable. I loved the sound, a lot, but too big. I haven't tried the HD650 yet, I should have at the meet.. If the LCD-2 are a faster Mad Dog, that would be amazing. Does the LCD-2 destroy bad recordings though?

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 12
Honestly, I don't find the orthos to be as fast as a well designed dynamic driver. With your music preferences you might want to look into the Fostex TH-600. I haven't heard it, but from the reviews it is similar to the TH-900. The headphone is very fast, with very visceral bass response and decay. The HD650 is too slow for your musical preferences. Although it is very forgiving, but it is very warm and lush sounding. The bass seems to lag a bit wit fast music, particularly synthesizers. A well matched SS am will improve the sound though.

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Honestly, I don't find the orthos to be as fast as a well designed dynamic driver. With your music preferences you might want to look into the Fostex TH-600. I haven't heard it, but from the reviews it is similar to the TH-900. The headphone is very fast, with very visceral bass response and decay. The HD650 is too slow for your musical preferences. Although it is very forgiving, but it is very warm and lush sounding. The bass seems to lag a bit wit fast music, particularly synthesizers. A well matched SS am will improve the sound though.

I agree that the hd650 may be a bit slow. LCD2 and Mad Dogs are damn fast though. Maybe I need to try some higher end Dynamics. Lately I have been on an ortho spree. 

OP as to the sound of bad recordings i'm not sure. What is your idea of bad recordings?

One thing is the lcds are weight. Its somewhat clampy and very heavy so it may not be comfortable for you. I have not worn a headphone that bothered me much so I usually don't have problems. Without the vegan headband/pads I would personally say they where around the comfort level of the he400/500 before I modded in a headband. 

Th600 may be something to look at but I have not tried them so I can't really comment. Maybe go over to the th600 thread and read up on them. Maybe they would work. 

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

I agree that the hd650 may be a bit slow. LCD2 and Mad Dogs are damn fast though. Maybe I need to try some higher end Dynamics. Lately I have been on an ortho spree. 

OP as to the sound of bad recordings i'm not sure. What is your idea of bad recordings?

One thing is the lcds are weight. Its somewhat clampy and very heavy so it may not be comfortable for you. I have not worn a headphone that bothered me much so I usually don't have problems. Without the vegan headband/pads I would personally say they where around the comfort level of the he400/500 before I modded in a headband. 

Th600 may be something to look at but I have not tried them so I can't really comment. Maybe go over to the th600 thread and read up on them. Maybe they would work. 

Look at my original post, I have some of my songs there. All of my songs are 320 kbps+ but thats not all that matters.  If it is all that matters(is it?) Then I wouldn't need a forgiving headphone.

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #8 of 12
I have yet to try out the Mad Dogs yet, but in terms of speed the LCD2s keep up just fine, especially if you are going to be using the O2 amp. The LCD2s are decently fast, faster than the 650 for sure, but definitely slower than my multiple BA IEMs. 

Regarding the bit rate issue I wouldn't worry too much, I've owned both and can safely say that they're forgiving enough to enjoy most <320kbps files unless you're pushing the 190kbps barrier you'll be fine. 

The LCD2 are also notoriously known for their comfort, either they fit like a glove or clamp like a vice, or are too heavy/bulky for extended use. I find them more comfortable than the 650s though, and I haven't tried the Mad Dogs so I can't speak for them. Good luck in your search, and remember, try and audition them first before committing to buy!

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #9 of 12
I've auditioned them. I would get a different amp. Is LCD-2 a good choice for stuff with synthesizers?

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
I've auditioned them. I would get a different amp. Is LCD-2 a good choice for stuff with synthesizers?

I would say they would be fine. Not the best, but nothing really is. With your music preferences, the LCD-2 would serve you well, probably one of the best choices. I'm not suggesting the HE-500 again, but what was it that you didn't like about them. Unfortunately, the HE-500 and LCD-2 have a similar sound, although the HE-500 does have a somewhat harsh treble at times. 

Also regarding your source, 320 is fine, but bitrate/format isn't everything. Many recordings, especially nowadays, are poorly mastered and recorded. The result could be harsh and metallic highs, and distorted bass. If you find that most of your music is modern, you might want to invest in a quality DAC. You should be fine if you decide to go with the LCD-2 though. They are very forgiving in comparison to other similarly priced headphones. 

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #11 of 12

I would say they would be fine. Not the best, but nothing really is. With your music preferences, the LCD-2 would serve you well, probably one of the best choices. I'm not suggesting the HE-500 again, but what was it that you didn't like about them. Unfortunately, the HE-500 and LCD-2 have a similar sound, although the HE-500 does have a somewhat harsh treble at times. 

Also regarding your source, 320 is fine, but bitrate/format isn't everything. Many recordings, especially nowadays, are poorly mastered and recorded. The result could be harsh and metallic highs, and distorted bass. If you find that most of your music is modern, you might want to invest in a quality DAC. You should be fine if you decide to go with the LCD-2 though. They are very forgiving in comparison to other similarly priced headphones. 
I can't really remember, I just remember not really liking them. I've listened to the LCD2 and love them, but haven't listened to them with electronic
LCD2 is what I will be getting then. Thanks for the help guys.

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Agreed 320 you will be fine wolfetan. Thought you might have originally been talking about actual recordings and not the bit/format. If you end up getting them I hope you enjoy them. I sure do! ^_^. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back