Headphile V2 [pictures]
Sep 15, 2005 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Patu

Headphoneus Supremus
So as I promised I make own thread for V2.

My V2 arrived on tuesday and I still haven't had good time to make a critical listening about it. Still my first impressions are good. I think sound is better detailed, more extended (in both ends) and somehow clearer. I wonder what burn in will do? I'll write more impressions later.

Only minus comes from build quality. Cable didn't give very good impression when I opened the letter in which it arrived. It's somehow thinner than I expected and connections could've been made better (e.g. I can see some glue on the spot where wire splits). You can judge the build quality from pics but I hoped it would've been finished better.

Overlook_640.jpg

And here you have the rest of the pics in 1600x1200. I used Canon Digital Ixus 430 (if someone is interested).

Sep 15, 2005 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 9
Let us know what you think, I'm looking at trying out some other cables for my 580s.

Sep 15, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
Let us know what you think, I'm looking at trying out some other cables for my 580s.

I will. I just should find some time for side by side comparison with stock cable.

And please all the other V2 owners post your impressions and opinions about this upgrade cable. Also comparisons to other aftermarket cables would be nice.

Oh and how did you like the pictures?

Sep 15, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 9
congrats on the purchase. i do agree with you regarding build quality, its below par for a commercial product. from what ive seen the the other senn cables (zu, cardas, equinox) are built very well.

how much does this cable cost?

ian

Sep 15, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
It's somehow thinner than I expected and connections could've been made better (e.g. I can see some glue on the spot where wire splits).

A big thick heavy cable is not what I'd want to produce. Bigger is not better IMO. I may be one of the only ones who uses the best quality adhesive heat shrink and when properly applied, glue will ooze the ends, no way around that. It's not going to come apart like a heatshrink that is just shrunk only. I also believe I'm the only one to use a soft, very non microphonic sleeving for headphone cables. It's more flexible also. It does draw the adhesive out a little more, somewhat like a wick. So in a nutshell, while I certainly could make a pretty cable, I'd rather make one that benefits the user in function and is not going to come apart.
tongue.gif
Cheers!

Sep 15, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777

Well after all the sound quality is what matters but well finished outlook gives cable some dignity/value. And I keep myself somewhat of a perfectionist so I must complain about this kind of things.
smily_headphones1.gif

V2 is very inexpensive compared to many other aftermarket cables and that was of course on of the main reasons I ended up with V2. But it has also got nice reviews and it's said to be pretty neutral so it sounded good.

But anyways I'm happy with V2 but I'd of course like to compare it with other aftermarket cables also. There's a couple of DIY'ers (like [AK]Zip and RnB) whose cables I'd really like to give a try.

I write more about the sound when I've given this cable a proper burn in.

Sep 15, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #8 of 9
adhesive remnants on the outer ends of dual wall flex is normal. It should actually be a sign of quality rather then low quality. Adhesive shrink is always recommended for use where ample support is needed. Glue It is also a sign that the assembler is using a heat temp adequate for use. i.e. not using a hair drier.

Sep 15, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #9 of 9
I have the Cardas Upgrade Cable and you can clearly see glue at the Y-Split coming out of the heatshrinked end. It doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I think it helps with the durability because of constant movement and the added weight of the cable.

And thinness/flexibility is also a plus in my book. I have tried the Zu Mobius and the only thing I didn't like was that it was so stiff and bulky. Even the cables that go into the earcups were not really more flexible than the main cable that runs to the 1/4 plug. I prefer how Cardas and Moon Audio do not put flex on the wire that goes into the earcups, this is very intuitive. Putting flex sheathing on those wires is unnecessary and obtrusive IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back