Headamp?
Mar 4, 2018 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ld100

500+ Head-Fier
I am currently running Audio GD NBF-11, but I tested a few headphones with a very expensive integrated amp and was floored by the sound. The amp was in a 10K range and sounded sublime. I noticed significant sonic difference... Can anyone suggest a DAC/AMP desktop unit that would be a significant improvement over my current unit? I need to be able to switch to active speakers and control the volume as well... Something under 1K, but can be higher as well... 10K amp is out of the question as it is huge and too expensive, but hopefully there are desktop units that can offer an upgrade with significant improvements. Any help appreciated!

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 11
I am currently running Audio GD NBF-11, but I tested a few headphones with a very expensive integrated amp and was floored by the sound. The amp was in a 10K range and sounded sublime. I noticed significant sonic difference... Can anyone suggest a DAV/AMP desktop unit that would be a significant improvement over my current unit? I need to be able to switch to active speakers and control the volume as well... Something under 1K, but can be higher as well... 10K amp is out of the question as it is huge and too expensive, but hopefully there are desktop units that can offer an upgrade with significant improvements. Any help appreciated!

It may not necessarily just be a very good circuit pouring a heck of a lot more clean power into the headphones though, but it might have high output impedance and the EQ effect on the sound is something you liked with whatever headphones you got to test.

If you can't confirm the output impedance and just want to try pouring more (and cleaner) power into the headphones over the NFB-11, that's kind of hard to do. There's the Schiit Lyr, but barring clipping on low efficiency planars like older HiFiMans, I preferred AudioGDs (except the small one - NFB-16 I think; its sound was dark and somewhat lazy with the dynamics by comparison, although I can overlook that if I needed something that compact). There's also the Mjolnir.

AudioGD used to have speaker+headphoone amps that can pour over 10watts into headphones but they stopped making them.

If you want to try something with very low noise and a fair bit of power over the NFB-11 with comparable distortion levels (albeit Class A/B like the Lyr, but not as much power), try Violectric V100, V200, etc.

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 11
It may not necessarily just be a very good circuit pouring a heck of a lot more clean power into the headphones though, but it might have high output impedance and the EQ effect on the sound is something you liked with whatever headphones you got to test.

If you can't confirm the output impedance and just want to try pouring more (and cleaner) power into the headphones over the NFB-11, that's kind of hard to do. There's the Schiit Lyr, but barring clipping on low efficiency planars like older HiFiMans, I preferred AudioGDs (except the small one - NFB-16 I think; its sound was dark and somewhat lazy with the dynamics by comparison, although I can overlook that if I needed something that compact). There's also the Mjolnir.

AudioGD used to have speaker+headphoone amps that can pour over 10watts into headphones but they stopped making them.

If you want to try something with very low noise and a fair bit of power over the NFB-11 with comparable distortion levels (albeit Class A/B like the Lyr, but not as much power), try Violectric V100, V200, etc.

I tried Audeze LCD-3 and Focal Clear out of Luxman amp... Not sure exact model.

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 11
I tried Audeze LCD-3 and Focal Clear out of Luxman amp... Not sure exact model.

Probably the L-550AX or L-590AX - full Class A operation, 20wpc or 30wpc. Guesstimate would be around 3watts to 4watts into the LCD-3, but distortion and noise figures may not be accurate since the ratings given are for 4ohm to 8ohm loads.

That's not a lot more power than a headphone amp designed for impedance loads at 16ohm to 300ohm (not that you'd even use the full 4watts either way). Try either a Lyr or Violectric V200. For Class A headphone amps, look into the AudioGD NFB-28, but you'll need balanced cables to get access all the power and current that circuit can produce.

Mar 5, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 11
Probably the L-550AX or L-590AX - full Class A operation, 20wpc or 30wpc. Guesstimate would be around 3watts to 4watts into the LCD-3, but distortion and noise figures may not be accurate since the ratings given are for 4ohm to 8ohm loads.

That's not a lot more power than a headphone amp designed for impedance loads at 16ohm to 300ohm (not that you'd even use the full 4watts either way). Try either a Lyr or Violectric V200. For Class A headphone amps, look into the AudioGD NFB-28, but you'll need balanced cables to get access all the power and current that circuit can produce.

Thank you! I have to do some research!

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #6 of 11
Also take a look at the Keces S3 DAC/Amp, great sounding, great build and easy to use. It has pre-amp outputs that will work with your monitors, and the volume is a relay based attenuator which in theory is much better than a volume pot.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 11
Any other ones? Do I understand it correctly that I need increase in AMP power?

Personally I don't think you need to increase the amp power per se as what you're hearing maybe a low freq boost due high output impedance on the headphone amp output on the integrated amp.

Not to mention that barring a very low sensitivity headphone, roughly 1000mW out of the NFB-11 isn't considerably lower than what the integrated amp theoretically produces at the same impedance as your headphones.

Mar 6, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #9 of 11
Can I ask you to explain? I do not have any knowledge on how it works... Why do you think the sound out of integrated could be something that I prefered over NFB-11? I actually do have a good integrated British stereo amp at home and a few times I tried it with headphones I really liked how it sounded. So you must be on to something. Can you please explain and also how do I get that sound with a computer desktop setup?

Mar 6, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 11
This is a hard one as your sublime could be different than what I think is sublime. Have heard the LCD-3’s several times but have just heard the Clears this weekend at a meet that I heard the 3’s again also. Didn’t listen on the same system as I know the 3’s and wanted to hear the Clears on my system. Don’t know what you think is sublime but I thought it was very good (Amps and Sound Kenzie with a Schiit Yggdrasil) the owner of the Clears wanted to know if I wanted to sell the Kenzie(I did not). I could be jaded as I have heard most of the TOTL gear (just headphone gear). Next to the HE-1’s the Utopias out of a Liquid Tungsten prototype and Chord Dave was just awesome.

Mar 7, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #11 of 11
Can I ask you to explain? I do not have any knowledge on how it works... Why do you think the sound out of integrated could be something that I prefered over NFB-11? I actually do have a good integrated British stereo amp at home and a few times I tried it with headphones I really liked how it sounded. So you must be on to something. Can you please explain and also how do I get that sound with a computer desktop setup?

Integrated amps have a tendency to have a high output impedance on the headphone output. When you have a high output impedance and you put a headphone on it, it has an EQ effect on the sound.

If you're putting a higher impedance headphone on it - roughly 150ohms and up - you'll get a boost in the midrange. This is partly why a lot of people like using OTL amps on 300ohm Sennheisers, the other being that since such amps are biased for delivering a lot of clean power at high impedance, they're not getting more noise nor the bad kind of distortion much less clipping vs a similarly lower tier solid state amp.

When you put a lower impedance headphone, you get an EQ effect in two ways. Either it trims the bass or boosts it, although tendency is that either way the bass lacks refinement where fast individual notes can get blurred. In some music this isn't crucial, unlike, say, metal. In other music getting that boost adds the "kick," without the blurring bass lines or double peds that you'd get on music with very fast bass notes.

Basically, what you're after is a subjective effect, not something objective where we an easily list amps that will not alter the signal as it drives the headphone, so you can hear the music as the headphone really sounds like even at high volume. Note that while that may not necessarily be the same as Diamond Audio's "Just Like The Artist Intended" (which is actually a problem, since all speakers/headphones have coloration, and you'd have to use the same monitors the albums are mastered on or the same hi-fi speakers they tried it on after mastering), having the upstream components EQ-ing the sound isn't necessarily any closer since you're basically EQ-ing at random rather than just flattening out peaks in the headphone/speaker response to get closer to a flat response.

You could try a headphone amp with a relatively high output impedance but the problem with this is that you're gambling on it boosting than the opposite. There's a way to predict which one but you need a lot of the specs on the headphones and the amp, so basically chances are you'd still end up just gambling.

Or you can try a really powerful headphone amp and listen a bit louder, with a headphone amp that has a lot of both voltage and current, like Violectric, Lyr2, or Burson. The Burson at least runs Class A, and from what I've heard from their more powerful amps like the Soloist and Conductor, compared to an O2 which is a bit sharper and barely has punch and a Meier which is more rolled off and is punchier than the O2, the Bursons are really going to pound your head with strong bass notes without sacrificing how well the bass notes don't blur in faster music. On the Lyr2 you can try different preamp tubes. VIolectric (and also Meier amps) aren't as punchy as Bursons but it's not like they really don't have any punch - they have more than the O2 which has sharper treble reproduction when pushed which detracts from your hearing the kick of the low end (ie it's there, you're just getting distracted by the treble) on top of which these amps (O2 and Meier included) have ridiculously low noise floors, so you don't have any noise getting in the way of the low end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back