Headamp Pico Power Impressions Thread
Sep 24, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #286 of 437
Just received my Pico Power today. When Justin told me black colour has stock two week ago, I have placed my order immediately. The quality of the metal shell is excellent. Hope PP will be a perfect match with my DX50.

Sep 25, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #287 of 437
Just received my Pico Power today. When Justin told me black colour has stock two week ago, I have placed my order immediately. The quality of the metal shell is excellent. Hope PP will be a perfect match with my DX50.

It is a great match to me, surprised that some people have told me that the dx100 is still better then that combo for SQ. I just need a rubber band to keep them together

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #288 of 437
Call me fickle but I am seriously revisiting the Pico Power with balanced armature IEMs. Even with the Heaven VI which ramps up insanely under power, the result is compelling. It is a huge sound.

With dynamic IEMs (Kaede, PF IX, 1601SC...) I doubt that that there is a better portable amp out there to deliver the maximum clean smooth power (insofar as the L3 hisses and has poor low volume control). 

alv4426, I also have a DX50 on the way. Get some low profile 3M Dual Lock. You will never use rubber bands again.

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #289 of 437
I am deep into a Pico Power session. It's blowing me away with all of my IEMs. I'm all in on the Pico Power as my pairing with the pending DX50 - just ordered a TWag mini cable from Justin to get the ergonomics right. (And TWag is pretty good as cables go...)

Nov 3, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #291 of 437
I'm sorry if this has been asked before but what rechargeable 9V lithium batteries do you recommend with this amp? Also, does the mAH have anything to do with power output and battery life?
I'm totally clueless 
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #292 of 437
I'm sorry if this has been asked before but what rechargeable 9V lithium batteries do you recommend with this amp? Also, does the mAH have anything to do with power output and battery life?
I'm totally clueless :confused_face_2:  

Go with Li-ion. They have the least storage drain, like less then 10% a month. Charge it and it stays charged.
The best hands down are Hi-Tech from Japan.
They are a little high price wise but are the best. I'm not sure where you are located?, so you might find a closer dealer. But here is what you are after,
http://www.amazon.com/Hitech-Two-Lithium-Ion-Batteries-Charger/dp/B0038AT44C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383835102&sr=8-1&keywords=hi+tech+9v

I used these in my XXS and get anywhere from 60-70 hrs before recharge, your use might vary. But these hands down are the best 9v I've used/found!!

Nov 7, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #294 of 437
When I had the Pico Power I was using these -

http://www.batterymart.com/p-r-li9720-9volt-lithium-polymer-battery.html

Li-Polymer which is the newest tech. I got about 50-70 hours per charge which was incredible. The fit is pretty tight inside the battery compartment but some Vaseline cleared that up. The power was also slightly less than my old NiMH 9.6v. It was great for IEMs and efficient headphones but for those tough to drive headphones, you might looking into something else.

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #295 of 437
  When I had the Pico Power I was using these -

http://www.batterymart.com/p-r-li9720-9volt-lithium-polymer-battery.html

Li-Polymer which is the newest tech. I got about 50-70 hours per charge which was incredible. The fit is pretty tight inside the battery compartment but some Vaseline cleared that up. The power was also slightly less than my old NiMH 9.6v. It was great for IEMs and efficient headphones but for those tough to drive headphones, you might looking into something else.

720 mAh said it all.  I'm using 550 mAh with very good results.  Over 35 hours + for sure.

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #297 of 437
Greed, when and why did you sell it?

Mainly sold it due to non-use. I'm just not using my portable audio much anymore. I've moved to the opposite extreme with a full-fledged speaker / vinyl system. Portable audio is fun and very convenient, the problem is I was always wanting equal sound quality to my desktop setup. I've come to find out, this is an impossible quest that probably won't ever be achieved. I've sold most of my DAPs, all my portable amps, and most of my C/IEMs. The market is growing fast and too hard to keep up with, tbh. The Pico Power was the best portable amp I'd ever heard, and if one were interested in buying something to power everything from sensitive IEMs to full-sized headphones - this is it. 

PS - Sold it a few weeks ago. 

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #300 of 437
I have not visited for any length of time in head-fi forum for a long time due to being busy at my work. Of course, I still have been listening to my music all those time every chance I get. I do have decent stereo system, home theater setup as well as portable system. Even though portable setup might not be the best sound quality but it gets used alot more time than my other setups. Recently I spent much of my music listening through Pandora One and enjoyed very much. However, after about three months of nothing but Pandora One, I switched to my portable setup which include Classic iPod (Applelosssless files), iems (UM Miracle, ER4S), and Pico Power. WOW, what a difference Pico Power in the mix makes so much more enjoyable to my music listening. The sound quality improvement by adding a quality portable amp may not be for everyone but Pico Power sure gave me a pure joy. Don't get me wrong that I must have a portable amp to enjoy my music. I can use just a cheap earbud and any kind of DAP to enjoy as long as right kind of music that I like playing. But if you want to have a chance to increase your portable setup to next level, give a Pico Power a try. It might be a nice surprise but give it a fair chance to evaluate properly. It is truly just more than a volumer increaser. Happy listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back