Headamp Gilmore Lite w/ DPS Modding
Jul 11, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #16 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats wrong with trying new things to get the sound you are looking for?

nothing.

go design it, and build it. rebuild and tweak it to suit your tastes.

a picture is worth a thousand words.
Picture%2B8.png

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #18 of 62
Don,
Just try to experiment and try different flavors.
Just dont forget there's always room for improvement.
Mine might be too excesive but just driving a point through.

BEst,
Victor

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #19 of 62
Jul 11, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #20 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Victorio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just try to experiment and try different flavors.
Just dont forget there's always room for improvement.

Enjoy your Type R stickers then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking at this ---->

and dont see any carbon resistors, mylar or generic capacitors

Don't question him, MisterX - he 'KNOW(S) PARTS' after all.

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #21 of 62
Quote:

Whats wrong with trying new things to get the sound you are looking for?

I got the balance I wanted with my hd600s with my audiolab integrated amp. The gilmore lite gave me a little more refinement but cut the balls of the music. Now All I wonder is how to get those balls back in the music while retaining the glites strengths.

The one weakness of the lite is power into a high impedance can. The solution to that is more like a Dynahi or a beta22 that can manage a higher voltage swing into those cans. The Dynalo was originally designed for 32 ohm Grados.

Feel free to change any parts you want. The Gilmore that I built for home uses Roderstein Resistas/PRP resistors. It has 31DQ10 Schottys for rectifier diodes. Nichicon Muse PSU caps. TKD pot. Does it sound good? Yes. Is it world-beating difference from my work Dynalo with an Elpac wallwart PSU? No. Better yes.

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #22 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it sound good? Yes. Is it world-beating difference from my work Dynalo with an Elpac wallwart PSU? No. Better yes.

Pot upgrade and discrete power supply would be the biggest difference though, wouldn't you say? After that, it is all a lot of expense for very little reward......

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #23 of 62
Hi Misterx,
All the small "BLue" resistors is the generic ones. Meaning you can get ALOT better resistors than this. They are either Carbon or metalized. My point is they are also a buck a bundle.

The 4 brown caps is the mylar on the 2nd picture. Which is a buck for the bundle. Again can be improved using Mcaps or even some polyprops.

The 6 caps in the PS which has dark blue and gold stripe. Can either be radial electrolytic or elna's (ok). They still can be improved with Blackgates and Bypassed with Teflons.

My point again is Don is looking to tweak. Just giving him suggestions on what he can improve upon.

Best,
Victor

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #24 of 62
Hi Don,
Ok very good, now at least Pars has already tweaked it for improvement. I like the parts selection also. Maybe you can follow Pars mods to get the Ball back.

I think im not the only one then that thinks it can be improved.

Tweaking and mods should be fun and should be shared to in forums,etc.
I appologize if I stepped in anyone's shoes driving my point accross.
So Beefy, Peace
smily_headphones1.gif

BEst,
Victor

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #26 of 62
Pars,
Is the one you made just like headamps glite? And did your mods improve in bass fullness for high impedance cans?

Beefy,
Pls stop trolling on my threads

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #27 of 62
Quote:

Beefy,
Pls stop trolling on my threads

I try and answer any questions as and when they come up if I think I can provide any insight.

But if you constantly ask stupid questions then my replies will appear to you like I am trolling, solely because they aren't answers you want to hear.

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #28 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What brown capacitors in the second picture?

The first picture has 4 brown caps.

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #29 of 62
Hi Mrx,
Thanks for the Photo of the Radial Lytics! Yes I have tried them. I was now thinking they were Elna cerafines which are pretty good also. But anyhow, yes ive used these panasonics in the Cathode bypass of my amps also as heaters and as 1st bank caps in the PS. You can get these panasonic caps for about $6 for 50pcs or so 220uf 25v. I got mine for around that much.

The Blackgates is better. Although these panasonics are not too shabby also. I still find the BG to be a good investment for an upgrade. They are intoxicating.

If they are 2sk109's and 2sk389's then they are Jfets
smily_headphones1.gif

That's not what I mean.
I cant seem to be mistaken though that these brown Caps right beside the 6 Panasonics are Mylar caps. Pls look at the other picture.

Thanks MrX.

Victor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back