Headamp Gilmore Lite vs GS-1 : A Short Comparison
Mar 1, 2010 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

jilgiljongiljing

Headphoneus Supremus
At the NorCal meet on Saturday, I had an opportunity to pit my Gilmore Lite against the GS-1, thanks to blessingx. Both units have had lots and lots of hours on it.

I used the Beyerdynamic DT990/600 and my Ultrasone 680 to compare the two. The source was Yamaha CD player outputting optical to Dacmagic. The Dacmagic was set on Linear filter setting for the tests. The connections were made using BJC LC-1 going into the GS-1, and loop out from GS-1 using Audio Art cables to the Gilmore Lite. The Gilmore Lite was powered using Walwart and NOT the DPS.

First I used the DT990's, my new toy. First up was "Temptation" by Diana Krall. This song is one of my favourites, has a neat bass line, and the odd percussion hit which gives a great sense of clarity, space, decay and precision. Her voice is a good reference to test the varying presentations of different equipment. On the GS-1 the song has more weight, the percussion hits are a bit quicker, and have nice decay. The Gilmore Lite doesnt fall very short on this particular song, theres a hint of coldness to the sound overall, and the bass is slightly less powerful. The voice sounded quite good on both, and I would actually call it a draw in the vocals department.

The next song was "Tin Pan Alley" by Stevie Ray Vaughan. This song has some solid guitar work on a tight foundation laid by the bass and drums. The guitar needs to really stand out on this song, and speak to you, with the bass and treble from the drums sitting outside the guitar playing, and not blending. On the GS-1 the sense of seperation was greater, clearly more air and breath. The bass was a bit tighter and more focussed. But I'd call the treble a draw, I didnt find any particular differences. The guitar sounded quite good on both, with the GS-1 giving that extra twang, which always helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Next up was one of my favourites, "Chitlins Con Carne" by Stevie Ray Vaughan. This sounds phenomenal on speakers. Anyone who hasnt heard it on decent speakers should hear it once to get a sense of how the song should sound. There is an absolutely solid foundation presented by the bass and drums, which is super tight, and super precise. The sense of air around the hits and guitar is so wide and spacious on speakers. On headphones, these things can be very apparent. This is a very good reference for bass weight, bass definition, and sense of space and decay, and imaging. This was the title winner for the GS-1, there was a significant difference between the GS-1 and Gilmore Lite. Just to be sure, I handed the HP's over to my wife who was patiently waiting next to me, and she said she could clearly tell the difference as well.

Its all about the foundation. The GS-1's can really provide that platform on which SRV can play his guitar, it just sounds right. In comparison the Gilmore Lite sounded a bit anemic, slightly narrow, and lacked seperation. The GS-1 presented a full, weighted, precise bass line, over which the guitar was sitting on a clearly seperated layer, with lovely sense of space and depth, with the reverb on the individual hits on the drums being so clear and well defined. But take into account that the Gilmore Lite sounded quite ok by itself, and they can actually manage quite well, but they were clearly outclassed here.

To confirm the differences, I put on some other rock and metal songs, like Take the Power Back by Rage Against the Machine, and some Porcupine Tree and the differences became a bit more apparent as I went on.

Here are some of the primary differences and upgrades that GS-1 offers over the Gilmore Lite IMO

- Better control of the bass
- Better definition and weight for bass, without being warm or overdone.
- Slightly better balance overall
- More air around instruments and individual hits
- Better decay and definition
- Sounds tighter overall
- Doesnt sound as cold as Gilmore Lite, but still analytical sounding rather than lush sounding

I then compared the two on the 680's and the findings seemed to be more or less along the same lines. But I must say the differences were a bit more apparent on the DT990/600's than the 680's. The treble energy is a bit much on the Gilmore Lite, and it seems a tad more refined and crisp on the GS-1. But this is very subtle and the 680's tend to be kinda bright.

To summarize, on their own, the Gilmore Lite can really hold its own on any headphones. They arent very picky, and sound pretty good with a variety of headphones (I've tried a LOT of HP's on these). But compare it directly to its higher counterparts and you get an idea on whats missing and what can be better. I'm pretty confident that the DPS addresses some of these issues and brings it closer to the GS-1, but if you can afford it, get the GS-1, its really quite impressive.

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of curiosity, was your Glite using a stock Elpac or a better PS? I've found both to be exactly how you describe it with stock Elpac. Wish I had the external PS at the time to compare against the GS-1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Gilmore Lite was powered using Walwart and NOT the DPS.

Great impressions. I really love how my Glite+DPS sound. I was curious about the GS-1 but decided to go with a 3-channel B22 instead.

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think so too, but I am not 100% sure as well. But my comparison is basically Gilmore Lite with ELPAC compared to GS-1.

But that might also mean that a Glite + DPS could very well equal the GS-1 in terms of SQ, if not in features.

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 30
Not exactly. The Gilmore Lite is a dynalo, the GS-1 is slightly different. The DPS is not of the same class as the GS-1's psu.

I think it was asr who compared the GS-1 to a Gilmore Lite with the DPS and said it came close but the GS-1 was still more natural sounding, thus the better of the two.

litepsu_board_med.jpg

gs1_silver_inside_med.jpg

Man, Headamp products make me pretty excited.....

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not exactly. The Gilmore Lite is a dynalo, the GS-1 is slightly different. The DPS is not of the same class as the GS-1's psu.

It's good to know that the GS-1 is still a cut above the Glite with DPS. But are you saying that it's still purely a power supply difference? Or is the actual amp circuit of the GS-1 also different?

And I agree, Headamp products are lovely. I just wish Justin would train up an assistant or three to reduce his wait times
frown.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 30
I do not know but I'm sure Justin will tell us for the nth time
tongue.gif
. If you look at the pics, the modules appear to be dynalos. I'm not exactly sure how many modules there are or if these pics are the current ones that Justin ships.

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not know but I'm sure Justin will tell us for the nth time
tongue.gif
. If you look at the pics, the modules appear to be dynalos. I'm not exactly sure how many modules there are or if these pics are the current ones that Justin ships.

Now if only he made Dynahi's as well... or Dynamight's for that matter...

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's good to know that the GS-1 is still a cut above the Glite with DPS. But are you saying that it's still purely a power supply difference? Or is the actual amp circuit of the GS-1 also different?

And I agree, Headamp products are lovely. I just wish Justin would train up an assistant or three to reduce his wait times
frown.gif

I know nothing about circuit boards but these two appear to be different.

Gilmore Lite

lite_board_med.jpg

GS-1

gs1_silver_inside_med.jpg

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #14 of 30
Speaking from my own experience, a Gilmore Lite with a custom PSU only sounds about 70% as good as the GS-1. With the Elpac wall-wart, I would say that it's around 60%. I realize that number values like that can be a bit difficult to grasp objectively, but take them for what their worth. Basically, I agree with the assertion of the OP: the GL sounds good, but the GS-1 really is a cut above. The difference was enough to force me to shell out a thousand bones for a new one with a stepped attenuator.
wink.gif

TBH, I wouldn't even spring for a GL at this point, at least not if you plan on climbing up the amplification chain. The GL might still be the best amp at its price point, but I don't think that it's worth the delay in purchasing a GS-1 or something else similarly high-end.

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #15 of 30
I decided on a GS-1 late november and it hasn't arrived yet. This comparison makes me even more anxious to hear it!
Been 3 months now and Justin isn't very informative/responsive to mails about the whereabouts..
Not that i doubt him in any way, just that a bit more info would be nice.

Anyway, can't wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back