HeadAmp CFA3 Headphone Amp - The Official Thread
Apr 7, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #241 of 251
But, if I am buying another amp it will be the Icon Audio 205D.
I like your approach on how you choose gear/amps!
CFA3 or for tubes Envy f.e. could be a "safer" choice due to reviews, opinions out there.

Apr 8, 2024 at 2:01 AM Post #242 of 251
I like your approach on how you choose gear/amps!
CFA3 or for tubes Envy f.e. could be a "safer" choice due to reviews, opinions out there.
Thank you. Honestly, I did not like the Envy. I liked the Euforia more. The Envy is insanely powerful and beautiful, I just didn't love the way it sounded. Call me crazy but it was hooked to a Lina DAC and Clock and I was completely underwhelmed by the combo and the Envy. I could have been having a bad day, or it just wasn't my day. I am aware of how loved both the Lina plus Clock and Envy are. But, I'd take my Eddie Current Aficionado, CFA3 and Pure BiPolar Mk2 over the Envy. Especially when my Aficionado has a metal base GZ-34 and RCA Single Plates. It is everything I could hope for out of a tube amp.

The CFA3 is looking good. I am excited for those who have put money down to get their CFA3s. It is a remarkable amp. It has the most nuanced treble I have heard in a SS amp. I know some feel it can be a touch neutral or lean, but that hasn't been my experience. It isn't as weighty or saturated as my Pure BiPolar, but it is far from lean. It is extremely stable, balanced and full of musicality. Mine has an Octet of BJTs but I will soon have the ability to switch it out for an octet of JFETs and determine which I prefer. Perhaps I will like it both ways and switch em out when mood strikes. All I know is that those who have bought a CFA3 you are getting as good a SS amp as any sane person needs.

Apr 8, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #243 of 251
Thank you. Honestly, I did not like the Envy. I liked the Euforia more. The Envy is insanely powerful and beautiful, I just didn't love the way it sounded. Call me crazy but it was hooked to a Lina DAC and Clock and I was completely underwhelmed by the combo and the Envy. I could have been having a bad day, or it just wasn't my day. I am aware of how loved both the Lina plus Clock and Envy are. But, I'd take my Eddie Current Aficionado, CFA3 and Pure BiPolar Mk2 over the Envy. Especially when my Aficionado has a metal base GZ-34 and RCA Single Plates. It is everything I could hope for out of a tube amp.

The CFA3 is looking good. I am excited for those who have put money down to get their CFA3s. It is a remarkable amp. It has the most nuanced treble I have heard in a SS amp. I know some feel it can be a touch neutral or lean, but that hasn't been my experience. It isn't as weighty or saturated as my Pure BiPolar, but it is far from lean. It is extremely stable, balanced and full of musicality. Mine has an Octet of BJTs but I will soon have the ability to switch it out for an octet of JFETs and determine which I prefer. Perhaps I will like it both ways and switch em out when mood strikes. All I know is that those who have bought a CFA3 you are getting as good a SS amp as any sane person needs.
I share the same view on Lina. It was a better dac than Bartok (2.0, pre APEX) but that's not saying much...

Apr 8, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #244 of 251
Apr 8, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #245 of 251
I share the same view on Lina. It was a better dac than Bartok (2.0, pre APEX) but that's not saying much...
It needs the clock. Otherwise, I don't see its value being close to the price. It is significantly better with the clock.

Apr 13, 2024 at 11:13 PM Post #246 of 251
Totally agree. It’s far from being lean.
I don't even consider it completely neutral. There are slight timbral qualities that are just north of neutral and the amp is so stable and seems to be without any drift which makes it capable of having the good kind of distortion. However slight, the amp is just about perfect. I go back and forth between it and my Pure BiPolar MK2 and all I know is that they both have similar qualities when it comes to stability and no drift giving both amps the ability to give the listener those timbral qualities only the best amps have. Couple that with the most nuanced treble I've heard in a Solid State Amp, you have one musical beast. The CFA3 has more nuanced treble, with out question. The PB has more midrange weight and saturation. I don't think either the PB or CFA3 need the power they have, but that is how they are designed, so that is what we get. The PB has +/-20v rails and the CFA3 has +/-25v rails up to +/-30v rails depending on the version you get. The PB is probably 12-13 watts into 60 ohms where the CFA3 is 15-16 watts depending. That is more power than any headphone needs. But, I find that with all my headphones both amps have this innate ability to fill in the stage before they get louder. I love turning it up and I get more of the headphones best, then they start to get louder. This is one of my favorite parts of both amps and how they are built. I don't know if anyone else notices this, but I do with my HEKv2 and my D8K Pro. I also notice it with my Atrium Open, although I mostly listen to that headphone on the Aficionado. Which also has the same quality of filling in the entire headphones stage before getting louder. I don't know what causes this as I am no engineer, I just notice it and I love it.

I have said this many times, and I will say it again. There are more expensive amps out there. There are other wonderful SS amps. For my taste the CFA3 and PB are as much amp as any sane person needs. Especially when paired with a great digital front end. You will be treated to the absolute best your headphones can offer.

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #247 of 251
headamp-cfa3-internals.jpg
CFA3 Standard edition all assembled in the production enclosure. Heatsink will be entirely black on the rest of them.

headamp-cfa3-hs-vents.jpg
secret vents were added on the base of the heatsink

headamp-cfa3-susvara.jpg
Size comparison with HIFIMAN Susvara (one of my favorite HPs with this amp)

headamp-cfa3-susvara2.jpg

Just needs laser engraving
OK, I want it, and I want it now! Glad I got a deposit down. :beyersmile:

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #248 of 251
OK, I want it, and I want it now! Glad I got a deposit down. :beyersmile:
Just a matter of when they will be ready and what the final price will be. I checked on headamp's website yesterday and still nothing.

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #249 of 251
Justin, I have looked through the thread here. Am I correct in assuming there are no loop out fixtures on the CF3? I don’t detect them from the internal pics, and not mentioned in the specs. Just wanting to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back