Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Jun 21, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #3,557 of 9,902
Quote:
Care to comment on the move from your (nicely built!) SShv to the BHSe?

No contest, the BHSE smokes the KGSSHV.
It’s like my 007s had been in a coma for the last year or so.

He doesn't have the vocabulary of rich superlatives to carry that off.

I expect the answer to be couched in terms such as "degrees of magnitude", "night and day", "apples and oranges". etc.

Go to it, John (golden, or was that platinum) ears. tee hee

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #3,558 of 9,902
Quote:
He doesn't have the vocabulary of rich superlatives to carry that off.

I expect the answer to be couched in terms such as "degrees of magnitude", "night and day", "apples and oranges". etc.

Go to it, John (golden, or was that platinum) ears. tee hee

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

Jun 22, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #3,560 of 9,902
Quote:Lil' Bishop
So when are you building the T2, John?
smily_headphones1.gif

So wehn are you biluidgn the T2 Jnoh?

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #3,561 of 9,902
I have pulled the trigger on the BHSE. Now I will spend my time before it arrives carefully duct taping my lower region as some unexpected movements may occur post aquisition.

Jun 22, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #3,565 of 9,902
but in the Stax thread you said:

Quote:
All stax made amplifiers have 5.1k safety resistors in the output lines. So even if the output impedance
of the amplifier was zero, the output impedance would still be 5.1k. This is to protect the headphones
from arc damage.

so which is it, futile or protective?

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #3,566 of 9,902
Both.

Resistance in the signal lines is protection.

Resistance to buying a BHSE or building a BHSE/DIYT2  is futile to those who can accomplish the task.

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #3,568 of 9,902
Yes.

You want more? Oh all right then:

The EL34PHs have had 3 days in my BHSE, where each day is around 4-5 hours warm up and 1-2 hours listening.

Day 1 they were inferior to the Treasures. Days 2 and 3 their sound charateristics changed each time. By end of Day 3 it was getting interesting.
Tonight will be Day 4, and then I'm away from home for rest of the week..

My Treasures also took a few hours to settle in the first time, so it's only fair to give the PHs the same chance.

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #3,569 of 9,902
I've received word about serious quality control issues with the EL34PH so at this point I'd say use at your own risk.  Perhaps this set was a one off but it says something about the QC that they sent out a tube where part of the internal assembly was just sitting on the glass envelope.  No way in hell that tube would have survived any testing/matching which brings up serious questions about the matching, if there is any. 

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #3,570 of 9,902
Quote:
Yes.

You want more? Oh all right then:

The EL34PHs have had 3 days in my BHSE, where each day is around 4-5 hours warm up and 1-2 hours listening.

Day 1 they were inferior to the Treasures. Days 2 and 3 their sound charateristics changed each time. By end of Day 3 it was getting interesting.
Tonight will be Day 4, and then I'm away from home for rest of the week..

My Treasures also took a few hours to settle in the first time, so it's only fair to give the PHs the same chance.

Thanks for the update.  Glad your rig didn't blow up.  Let us know how it goes . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back