Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Apr 9, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #8,686 of 9,902
I an living in a modern apartment with the step-down transformer serving the neighbourhood only 0.5 kilometres away. Before I fitted my P10 power regenerator, I thought my mains was very good / clean. After I realised it was affecting my sound system a LOT. I would recommend getting a demo in your house to test for yourself.

Actually you have a way now to test. Do you notice how the sound go your system is better at 3 am in the morning, and maybe a bit flat / uninteresting at lunch times? That is mains distortion and it's affect. I am getting better SQ than 3 am now 24/7. Bigger soundstage, cleaner treble, deeper bass, faster and more dynamic, everything is better.

On my P10 it can read 1.8% up to 3% line distortion (incoming) plus the voltage can vary from 224V to 248V. Not only that, the sine wave is irregular and not linear. After regeneration it is a perfect shape, the voltage I have set to 230V exactly, and the line out distortion is dead on 0.1% 24/7. 

That is pretty crappy power from your last statement.
No issues down here in Victoria, Australia.

I don't find different times to make any audible difference.I live in a residential area no factories around.

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #8,687 of 9,902
  Oh I see. You're not a fan of jazz? What genres do you like?

I'm a fan of Smooth/Contemporary/Lounge/Chill Jazz. My all-time favorite (just an example) is Fourplay. I enjoy their style very, very much! There really isn't many Hi-Rez downloads for these types of Jazz. The Jazz you're recommending is "real Jazz" which of course I can appreciate, but not enough to listen too frequently.

There are quite a few sample dsd tracks and albums online.
DSD sounds completely different to PCM, much smoother.

I have al of these samples downloaded from HDtracks as well, and yes, they sound great, but not really too enjoying for me. I found a 96kHh download of David Sanborn's "Time Again" who is also one of my favorite artists which is really sweet sounding and I enjoy very much. Just wish there were more choices for my tastes.

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #8,688 of 9,902
The Jazz at the Pawnshop (1 or 2) are brilliant. Great place to start!

biggrin.gif
LOL,
a great recording for sure but I take it you are aware that it has been recorded Dec. 6-7, 1976 on a Nagra IV 1/4" 2 track? Not really DSD
wink.gif

So this is a prime example of the capabilities of analog tape recordings when the technician knew how to capture live sounds at it's best.
popcorn.gif

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #8,689 of 9,902
That is really cool, who build it ?

I built the bottom KGSSHV.
A good friend built me the top KGSSHV Carbon. I probably would have built a Carbon, but I gave up DIY a few months before the Carbon design was released.
The knob on the Carbon is stasinless steel and the KGSSHV has a titanium one.

Apr 9, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #8,695 of 9,902
  I'm a fan of Smooth/Contemporary/Lounge/Chill Jazz. My all-time favorite (just an example) is Fourplay. I enjoy their style very, very much! There really isn't many Hi-Rez downloads for these types of Jazz. The Jazz you're recommending is "real Jazz" which of course I can appreciate, but not enough to listen too frequently.

I have al of these samples downloaded from HDtracks as well, and yes, they sound great, but not really too enjoying for me. I found a 96kHh download of David Sanborn's "Time Again" who is also one of my favorite artists which is really sweet sounding and I enjoy very much. Just wish there were more choices for my tastes.

Nice one joseph69.   Yes Fourplay are an excellent group.  Like them very much as well.   There recordings are fantastic quality A++ 

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #8,697 of 9,902

Nice one joseph69.   Yes Fourplay are an excellent group.  Like them very much as well.   There recordings are fantastic quality A++ 

Excellent for sure!
I can't get enough of them, and I'm patiently waiting for their next release.
beerchug.gif

Tidal MQA masters catalogue is getting bigger (gradually). I find they sound excellent played out as 96K. I am on a none MQA DAC. They signed Warners but hopefully more will follow soon. I remember when iTunes started, it was slow at first for artists to sign or labels. But after a while it gain momentum, an then became if they wenre't on iTunes may as well pack in and go home. I hope Tidal grows that way. It has the backing and is heading in the right direction. 

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #8,698 of 9,902
  Tidal MQA masters catalogue is getting bigger (gradually). I find they sound excellent played out as 96K. I am on a none MQA DAC. They signed Warners but hopefully more will follow soon. I remember when iTunes started, it was slow at first for artists to sign or labels. But after a while it gain momentum, an then became if they wenre't on iTunes may as well pack in and go home. I hope Tidal grows that way. It has the backing and is heading in the right direction. 

I'm Tidal less, and refuse to give them my money even though I'm cutting off my nose to spite my face.

Apr 9, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #8,699 of 9,902
I'm Tidal less, and refuse to give them my money even though I'm cutting off my nose to spite my face.

Yes, I understand your point. But I bought some HDTracks, that were expensive TBH and had variable quality (as all music seems to regardless of same rate). I added up my Redbook purchases in 2016, and Tidal for me costs less than that total. I don't own the tracks, but that is a state of mind I guess. I haven't actually bought any new music so far this year, a record for me. And it is nice to pretty much have access to any music I want, which in turn is great for exploring new stuff. Buying is also great, but possibly in my case, I was buying 'safe' so not taking too many risks. 

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #8,700 of 9,902

biggrin.gif
LOL,
a great recording for sure but I take it you are aware that it has been recorded Dec. 6-7, 1976 on a Nagra IV 1/4" 2 track? Not really DSD
wink.gif

So this is a prime example of the capabilities of analog tape recordings when the technician knew how to capture live sounds at it's best.
popcorn.gif

I am fully aware that this is a brilliant example of analog tape done right...this has been an audiophile favourite for decades for good reason. To my ears though, the DSD version sounds best (smoothest, most detailed and most balanced) out of all the other versions I have on hand (including CD and 192kbps). It is a brilliant sounding recording of jazz done right (and in Sweden nonetheless). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back