Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Apr 5, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #8,656 of 9,902
I like to listen pretty loud and will usually run 12:00, plus or minus for soft / hot recordings. I apply my listening sessions relatively sparingly; it's bad to use those levels on a daily basis for very long. This is with a Yggy and 009 or L700. With 007 mk 1 I find myself pushing towards 3:00.

And do not confuse power drive capabilities with gain.

I find myself listening at louder volumes with my 007mkll.
I find them to perform incredible at higher volumes, but I definitely don't make this a habit.

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #8,658 of 9,902
What volume level did you use with the SR 007 MK1 when it was incredibly loud.

With the RK50 (because I know you have the DACT and claimed differences) I would say 1-3 o'clock. I also did the port mod. I also removed the springs, but only because I didn't like the ease of the pads/cups rotating. There is a nice amount of friction without the springs between the pads/cups now to keep the pads where I like them.

Apr 7, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #8,659 of 9,902
With the RK50 (because I know you have the DACT and claimed differences) I would say 1-3 o'clock. I also did the port mod. I also removed the springs, but only because I didn't like the ease of the pads/cups rotating. There is a nice amount of friction without the springs between the pads/cups now to keep the pads where I like them.

The fact that you have both the SR007 and the SR009, does it really warrant keeping them both ?

Aren't they just the same apart from SR 009 having more treble detail and better comfort.

Apr 7, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #8,660 of 9,902

The fact that you have both the SR007 and the SR009, does it really warrant keeping them both ?

Aren't they just the same apart from SR 009 having more treble detail and better comfort.

Sure does warrant keeping both because they have different sound-signatures. 
Have you heard them both and come to this conclusion from your experience?

Apr 7, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #8,661 of 9,902

I have 2 of each.....  
atsmile.gif

The SR-007 & SR-009 are both different animals in their own glorious right.

Apr 7, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #8,665 of 9,902
Super, but why multiple same headphones ?

As for your question on whether Inhave heard both , I have only briefly heard the SR009 with the Blue Hawaii but that was at a show and I found it thin sounding. But this was in a noisy area I am sure the headphone is capable of a lot better performance.

Apr 7, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #8,666 of 9,902

As for your question on whether Inhave heard both , I have only briefly heard the SR009 with the Blue Hawaii but that was at a show and I found it thin sounding. But this was in a noisy area I am sure the headphone is capable of a lot better performance.

It must have been the show conditions because my 009/BHSE is far from thin sounding. I also feel you cant just listen to a system for a few minutes and draw a true impression, only an initial impression. I feel you need to spend sufficient time (in home) with any system to draw a true impression for yourself, which is why I buy and try.

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #8,667 of 9,902
It must have been the show conditions because my 009/BHSE is far from thin sounding. I also feel you cant just listen to a system for a few minutes and draw a true impression, only an initial impression. I feel you need to spend sufficient time (in home) with any system to draw a true impression for yourself, which is why I buy and try.

As I said, I'am sure they sound really balanced but I just haven't heard them.
Loving the SR007 MK1 so far :)

Apr 8, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #8,668 of 9,902

I don't own multiple units of the same model, but I could understand the reasons. Sometimes it's because of an allegedly difference in production (lots of talk on 007mk1 about it...see HiFiman HE6 too, with 4/6 screws), sometimes it's because of spare parts as they are completely out of production (Sony MDR-R10, Stax Omega). But I may only be for the sake of collecting.

I like to say we're all completely crazy as we cross the "HD600 + Objective2" frontier, which represents a kind of pricetag ceiling for ordinary people. So I won't blame our fellow hobbyists to be crazy, even if they have a different way from mine to be so 
ph34r.gif

BHSE really opens up 009, with lots more of details / air / soundstage than any Stax amp, giving some lushness to the mids (t00bs !) and real impact / volume to the bass. As they have the 1-2 khz Stax coquetry, this amount of air / details may absolutely be perceived as brightness, but it depends on tubes and source. Throw a DS / Sabre-y DAC and keep stock tubes (Mullards re-issue and Shuguang treasures to a lesser extent), you'll have something delicate but undoubtely bright and a bit thin. Take a R2R or warm DAC + other tubes (PSVane, NOS Mullards, Mesa Boogie), it's another story.

It also depends on your reference point and which frequencies you're sensitive too. From my point of view :
- HD800 have a 6 khz peak with tons of details, 100-150 hz hump, something bloomy in the mids (Senn's veil ? )...they're bright, but it's not the same kind of brightness as 009. I like them for ambient, live venues, and everyday listening (games and movies too)
- Utopia are very impactful but not that dynamic, with something fake to my ears : struggling bass (small driver ? See Frog and Ox from La Fontaine), weird FR, robotic sound (think vocoder), and any tape hiss thrown at your face, covering lots of music
- Beyerdynamics all have a "peak of death" between 7 and 9 khz, unbearable to my ears as it has e-dyn grain.
- Fostex TH-900 are boomy phones, but they have some peak around 10 khz, and for me, that's a sound of tinnitus 
tongue.gif

- Orthos do also have a peak / wall most of the time in the highs, but depends. Abyss is an exemple of this peak, very screechy to my ears.
- 007 have also a kind of peak around 8 khz, but with e-stat mellowness. This dzingy sound, like an ever ringing cymbal, gives a one-note touch to the highs and is one of the reasons I sold mine (lack of impact / bit floating bass and too-veiled-to-be-true tone are others)
- Orpheus clones have the best FR I've ever heard, with nothing of the bit hifi / fake tone of 009 (though impactful and highly enjoyable to me) and throwing 007 dull-sound-which-pretends-to-be-true-but-is-in-its-own-way-faker-than-009 to the dust

All the above are 100% subjective, my journey in this hobby taught me I'm very sensitive to oddities above 6-7 khz (modded HD800 are fine to me), so assume I'm a complete moron if you hear differently, it'll be easier than the everlasting 007 vs 009 fight 
smile_phones.gif

Back to the thread, 009 are said to be gorgeous out the DHT 845 amp of @FrankCooter, but @jude is the only guy who owns one...and they're a jealous crowd (within which I stand) around this 
redface.gif

Ali

Apr 8, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #8,669 of 9,902

I have 2 of each because I have other people listening to my system with me.

Nothing worse that watching someone listening to a track, and sitting there like a dummy.

Yeah, yeah, I know - get a set of speakers.   zimple.

SAM_0563.thumb.JPG.5d4ca8bb7c6cc2d92c62b75a8f6d7122.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back