Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
May 23, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #7,186 of 9,899
Hi Justin:
I had ordered the BHSE previously, but after reading this thread so many times, I decided that I just didn't have the patience...so I cancelled the order (after two months) and you refunded my deposit that same day.
I still want the device, and have just read this note of yours...so, honestly, were I to snag one of the devices that you speak of ( the remainder after the 90%) how long a wait would there be??
Is there anything that I could do to expedite that?
Thanks,
Carl Chernoff

May 23, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #7,188 of 9,899
  I don't know for now. I'm in 4th batch, so...
Dark grey, Alps RK50, normal + pro...more or less this one

with one normal bias output, and maybe shuguang treasure tubes.

Ali

I am a bit of an electrostat rookie here. The pro-bias refers to 580V and normal bias to 230V and can only be used with matching headphones, is that correct?

May 23, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #7,189 of 9,899

Adding my report.  My BHSE (gray) also arrived this week, ordered July 2013.  I'll echo everyone's sentiment that the craftsmanship is stunning, and the design uniquely elegant.  Unlike Arnaud, I couldn't wait to set it up as soon as it arrived.

But like Arnaud, I had an initial glitch.  After connecting everything and powering it up, the second LED on the amp never lit up and so I waited for some time to see if it needed further warm up.  After confirming that the amp was not powering fully, I contacted Justin, who responded right away and repeatedly to my queries.

He talked me through the various possible problems, and eventually, the problem was resolved with a new set of fuses.

Now it's playing beautifully through a dCS Delius DAC to both a 007 and 009--as if hearing each for the first time.  The difference is palpable from the stock STAX amps, as everyone has mentioned previously.  Truly remarkable, and addictive, like x-ray audio.

Well worth the wait for those in the next batch, and my gratitude to Justin for dropping everything to respond until the minor problem was resolved.

May 23, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #7,190 of 9,899

like x-ray audio.

X-Ray Audio.  I like that.  BHSE / 009 combo is like x-ray audio..  Ha ha

beerchug.gif

May 23, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #7,191 of 9,899

Adding my report.  My BHSE (gray) also arrived this week, ordered July 2013.  I'll echo everyone's sentiment that the craftsmanship is stunning, and the design uniquely elegant.  Unlike Arnaud, I couldn't wait to set it up as soon as it arrived.

But like Arnaud, I had an initial glitch.  After connecting everything and powering it up, the second LED on the amp never lit up and so I waited for some time to see if it needed further warm up.  After confirming that the amp was not powering fully, I contacted Justin, who responded right away and repeatedly to my queries.

He talked me through the various possible problems, and eventually, the problem was resolved with a new set of fuses.

Now it's playing beautifully through a dCS Delius DAC to both a 007 and 009--as if hearing each for the first time.  The difference is palpable from the stock STAX amps, as everyone has mentioned previously.  Truly remarkable, and addictive, like x-ray audio.

Well worth the wait for those in the next batch, and my gratitude to Justin for dropping everything to respond until the minor problem was resolved.

I'm glad you posted, That's a Great Picture of it in Grey, Thank's for making me Happy again!! LOL  I was 2nd guessing my Grey request but you just made my Day,,,Beautiful Amp!! All Colors look Great..

May 23, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #7,193 of 9,899
Yep, your grey unit looks really good too ALSO! I was agonizing for ever on the color, fearing I would get bored with time and how that would integrate in the rest of the rack (typically grey faceplates).
Thing is, the amp stands out and looks gorgeous bo matter what the color. You just won't be able to decide and you'll end up making a great choice anyhow :).

May 23, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #7,194 of 9,899
Yep, your grey unit looks really good too ALSO! I was agonizing for ever on the color, fearing I would get bored with time and how that would integrate in the rest of the rack (typically grey faceplates).
Thing is, the amp stands out and looks gorgeous bo matter what the color. You just won't be able to decide and you'll end up making a great choice anyhow
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd recommend some RFT EL34s for the BHSE, I've found a few at 20-30 a pop

May 23, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #7,195 of 9,899
Thing is, the amp stands out and looks gorgeous bo matter what the color. You just won't be able to decide and you'll end up making a great choice anyhow
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for all the positive responses; have to say I had the same feeling, Arnaud when I saw your blue BHSE but I agree that the unit itself is so attractive that the color only adds to its appeal. Any of the color options will shine in the end.  The only alternative is to order another one in another color ...

May 24, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #7,198 of 9,899
Btw if you think the SR-009 sounds good on the BHSE, just wait until you try the OII MKI. :wink:

Arnaud has the Psvane PH's with his BHSE not the stock Mullard's, so it would be interesting to read his thoughts on how the 007mk1's sound from using the PH's.
I've only heard the mk1's with my BHSE while using the stock Mullard's and was very impressed, but when using the PH's I got to hear the 007mk2's and was very disappointed.

May 24, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #7,199 of 9,899

What do you have for support there under the cones? They sure don't look like typical discs. Btw if you think the SR-009 sounds good on the BHSE, just wait until you try the OII MKI.
wink.gif

These are elastomer pads. Very very soft, and actually not made for these kinds of spikes (it's piercing through). We use this because of earthquakes. I was here in 2011 so I know how it can move... These pads make your furniture rattle a lot (think of a jelly you're shaking) but have very high friction coefficient / absorb a lot of energy this way. 

I got harder pads yesterday but these do the job of preventing the BHSE to slide on the glass. I saw some pics before with metal rings to place below the spikes (David maybe?), would like to hear where you guys found them.

Arnaud has the Psvane PH's with his BHSE not the stock Mullard's, so it would be interesting to read his thoughts on how the 007mk1's sound from using the PH's.
I've only heard the mk1's with my BHSE while using the stock Mullard's and was very impressed, but when using the PH's I got to hear the 007mk2's and was very disappointed.

I plan to roll tubes as next step actually. I have accumulated a little stash of Mullard XF2/XF4s and other Telefunken while waiting for the BHSE so curious to hear how they sound. Do I really need a 1000V voltmeter for this or 600V is fine? I guess 1000V is to be on the safe side in case of inserting the pron in the wrong hole or for tubes that are not behaving right?

Also, someone told me it takes 3h for the amp to really settle. How are you guys using your BHSE? I was wondering if buying cheap tubes for keeping the amp warm when not used makes sense? That means I would be adjusting offsets everyday (when rotating the "keep it warm" tubes and the "listen to music" tubes) and going through multiple on/off cycles (at least 3 on/off cycles) which can't be the best for the amp I imagine.

I guess those NOS mullard and stuff can last 8-10000 hours given they're not particularly strained by the BHSE. But still, that's barely a year and half of 24/24 power on. Considering how bloody expensive EL34 have gotten in the past 5 years, I can't imagine just leaving the amp on all the time is a good recommendation, even assuming one listens to it every day.

cheers,
arnaud

May 24, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #7,200 of 9,899
@ arnaud,

While I'm very impressed with how the PH tubes with the BHSE make the 009's sound, the downside with those tubes is their lifetime, I did however end up getting a second quad before the first quad packed up which was after around a year.
I'm using that second quad now but have some original Mullard xf4's, so when that second quad of PH's pack up I'll start using those xf4's which I prefer more than the PH's.

Others might know if any voltmeter can be used, but I use a 1000v multimeter, however I only started doing the biasing after Justin did that video on YouTube.

I find the BHSE sounds better after about an hour on power, but I can't say I've heard more improvement after that time, I also don't leave my BHSE on unless I plan on listening to it throughout the day.
The longest I've left my BHSE on for is 9 hours and it worked flawlessly in all that time.

I'm now using a quad of Herbie HAL-O III-30 tube dampers which I find have improved the SQ even further.

P.S. The supports under the spikes of my BHSE are Track Audio isolation cups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back