HeadAmp AE-2 impressions (w/ burn-in updates) (over)
Apr 21, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #76 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ manhattanproj- I don't own the K701 if that was directed at me.

I'm using default op-amps. I haven't tried any others and honestly haven't learned enough about the subject to explore this further.

IMG_0439.jpg

I no longer own any Shure IEMs but with my ER4P these are my findings:

AE-2/high gain with no source connected: hiss barely becomes noticeable at 12 o'clock, easily noticable at 2 o'clock.

AE-2/high gain with iPod connected via ALO Bling Bling LOD: (track in pause), hiss becomes barely noticeable at 10 o'clock, easily noticeable at 12 o'clock. note- with track playing, my normal listening volume would be around 8 o'clock and 9 o'clock is an estimated 85 dB.+ (track was "Follow Your Leaders" from The Tangent).

AE-2/low gain with no source connected- at 2 o'clock I could barely hear hiss and this was very slight(it took a dead quite bathroom to discern), at even maximum volume (5 o'clock) there is virtually no hiss. The only noise that I heard was a slight scratchy hiss/pop as the volume came down from 5 o'clock- this was heard at 4 o'clock as I was quickly turning the volume down.

AE-2/low gain with iPod connected as before(track paused). At 12:30 o'clock hiss becomes barely noticeable, easily noticable at 2 o'clock.note- my normal listening volume would be around 10 o'clock or less. At 11 o'clock loudness is an estimated 85 dB.+. The track listened to was "Up-Hill From Here" -The Tangent.

These comments were typed as I ran through these tests.

hows the mini with hissing? I'm going to get some ER-4Ps soon (evil evil EFN) and I was wondering how the hiss is with Xin amps!

Apr 21, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #77 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hows the mini with hissing? I'm going to get some ER-4Ps soon (evil evil EFN) and I was wondering how the hiss is with Xin amps!

** evil EFN steps in **

ER-4P would hiss at 24 oHm (sometimes)

BUT ER-4S will not hiss or hum with both my SuperMicro-IV and Tomahawk (High Gain)
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
etysmile.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #78 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm listening to it now after checking. With no source connected I could not detect any hiss even at full volume. With my iPod connected and track paused, there is hiss starting at 75% volume which again is caused by the iPod I'll assume. With the Supermini in low gain, w/bass boost, crossfeed off and impedance added to my ER4P, I normally listen at about 30 % volume. I don't know if this matter would change with other configurations but with mine the Supermini IV is dead quiet.

Apr 22, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #80 of 142
Between the 650 and the 701, I think the 701 is harder to drive. The 701 is definitely less sensitive. I never listened to the 880.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which is more power hungry: 650/880 or the 701?

another question that i have is: how do you know whether an amp has enough power to drive the phones - from trial and error meaning actual use or can you tell from looking at the specs?

Apr 28, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #81 of 142
Asr,
Any updates? Is it still getting better with burn in? Is it a keeper or will we be seeing it in the FS forum? I'm leaning towards a Hornet but I'm also interested in the AE-2.

Apr 29, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #82 of 142
64-hour burn-in update!

Oh man, I am now certifiably in shock from this amp. This thing is awesome. Now let's not get ahead of ourselves though, both my Gilmore Lite and GS-1 have clear advantages over the AE-2 - mostly in detail, separation, tracking, dynamics, and bass power. With that said:

I CAN'T BELIEVE THE SOUND COMING FROM THIS AMP IS FROM A PORTABLE!

It's mind-blowing how much better the AE-2 is over the AE-1! There's absolutely no question, the AE-2 is a leap from it! I can't believe I ever put up with the AE-1 - not that it's bad, but man, after you hear the AE-2 there's no going back! Air and space is so much more audible, and the treble is actually refined and not messy. It also captures timbre accurately instead of fuzzing it out.

It's still spry and quick, and it easily dances across rhythms and beats with a superb insistence no matter how complex they get. The energy is amazing, it's almost infectious!

I could focus on the few sonic flaws I have discovered with it but let's forget that for now! This amp blows me away! It's got sound that's unlike any portable I've ever heard! It makes me want to listen to my favorite CDs again! And I'm pulling out new torture-test tracks for it too!

Is it worth $350? Well that's up to you, but let's just say that I would definitely a buy second one as a gift!
biggrin.gif

Oh and about the earlier questions on if it can drive the K701 - of course it can! What do you guys think this is, a CMOY?
tongue.gif

Justin confirmed at HeadFest 2007 that the AE-2 also uses the AD8397 - whoa! Doesn't sound like the AD8397 compared to when I last heard it!

And the RCA jacks on the back are one of the best parts of this amp - I don't think I can overstate this convenience! You don't have to hassle with RCA-mini interconnects! And I get to use my reference IC this way so I can fully gauge the amp's potential!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #83 of 142
My AE-2 now has around 130 hours. I'm still amazed with it in every way.

I'm currently listening to my HD 650 & iPod/AE-2 combo with mostly LAME "-V 0 --vbr-new/preset fast extreme" MP3 has never sounded soooo good.
eggosmile.gif

I would like to quote Romanee from the recent HeadFest thread.

"To my ears, the AE-2 offers, much more than the AE-1, accurate timbre and presentation of voices and instruments, an excellent sense of spatial dimension, placement, separation, imaging and space around performers. It has a well-integrated frequency spectrum, as well as deep and well-defined bass. The mid/upper-bass prominence that the AE-1 was prone to is gone. In that brief auditioning, I felt that all areas of the spectrum felt satisfying and “right”. Whereas the AE-1 had pronounced hiss with sensitive IEMs such as the ES2, the AE-2 is clear and quiet (hiss-free).

I feel the AE-2 competes with the best portables, though I obviously am not able to do a comprehensive comparison with all the best portable amps and the many suitable phones."

Apr 29, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #84 of 142
Asr, thanks for the update. I'm surprised that the AE-2 with its high gain at 19 dB can not drive the K340. Can you try the K340 again and make sure the battery is fully charged? On my Raptor, the K340 and the K701 put out about the same output at the same volume level on the amp. Since the AE-2 can drive the 701 easily, I would think that it could atleast do a decent job of driving the K340.

Apr 29, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #85 of 142
Quote:

My AE-2 now has around 130 hours. I'm still amazed with it in every way.

I'm currently listening to my HD 650 & iPod/AE-2 combo with mostly LAME "-V 0 --vbr-new/preset fast extreme" MP3 has never sounded soooo good.
eggosmile.gif

I would like to quote Romanee from the recent HeadFest thread.

"To my ears, the AE-2 offers, much more than the AE-1, accurate timbre and presentation of voices and instruments, an excellent sense of spatial dimension, placement, separation, imaging and space around performers. It has a well-integrated frequency spectrum, as well as deep and well-defined bass. The mid/upper-bass prominence that the AE-1 was prone to is gone. In that brief auditioning, I felt that all areas of the spectrum felt satisfying and “right”. Whereas the AE-1 had pronounced hiss with sensitive IEMs such as the ES2, the AE-2 is clear and quiet (hiss-free).

I feel the AE-2 competes with the best portables, though I obviously am not able to do a comprehensive comparison with all the best portable amps and the many suitable phones."

You bad guys! Now I'm leaning more towards the AE-2 and away from the Hornet.

Apr 29, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #86 of 142
I sold the K340, 'tis gone now. When I did that test the battery was fully charged though, and it was plugged into AC too (otherwise I wouldn't have had the flickering LED as mentioned). I didn't say the amp couldn't drive the K340, I only said it distorted when trying to push them loud. It did fine at moderate volume.

IMO though, anyone trying to use the K340 with this amp is crazy. Even my GS-1 had a hard time pushing the K340 - the only amp that did a serviceable job was my Cayin HA-1A.

Apr 29, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #87 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sold the K340, 'tis gone now. When I did that test the battery was fully charged though, and it was plugged into AC too (otherwise I wouldn't have had the flickering LED as mentioned). I didn't say the amp couldn't drive the K340, I only said it distorted when trying to push them loud. It did fine at moderate volume.

IMO though, anyone trying to use the K340 with this amp is crazy. Even my GS-1 had a hard time pushing the K340 - the only amp that did a serviceable job was my Cayin HA-1A.

Well my Xin Supermacro (sold over a year ago) drove the K340 with authority. My Raptor does too.

Apr 29, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #88 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveM324 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You bad guys! Now I'm leaning more towards the AE-2 and away from the Hornet.

evil_smiley.gif

That's the decision that I faced. I had to go with my gut feeling and take a bit of chance...it has worked out very well.

That is odd about the AE-2 not driving the K340 when the SM did so well, or maybe not-Xin makes one helluvanamp
etysmile.gif

I've been leaving my AE-2 in mid gain where it drives my HD 650 & DT-880 fine yet also works with my ER4P/ER6 without poor volume range.

Apr 29, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #90 of 142
Quote:

eggosmile.gif

[/COLOR]
[/i]

GreatDane,
May I ask what LOD or mini-mini are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back