Head-to-Head: AIAIAI TMA-1 vs. Audio Technica ATH-M50 (TMA-1 Review)
Dec 19, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #121 of 161
I still need to take these over my girlfriends house and do so side by side comparison - it's impossible to judge by memory.

Even so, with every pad before the latest configuration, I would have said M50s win hands down (for my personal preferences) but now with the Stax-SRX pads and filtering, I think the opposite may be the case. Like I say i'd have to listen to them side by side before I could really say.

Dec 21, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #122 of 161
Great review. I think it might have ruined my M50 experience a bit lol but im glad for the comparison. Just might have to get me a pair now

Props for Denmark!
beyersmile.png

Dec 21, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #123 of 161
My straight cable got here half a week later than they said it would, but I will be picking it up tomorrow.

After that, it's one more day of listening and fine-tuning notes, and then I'll put my thoughts up. I won't compare them to the M50's much, since it's been almost a year since I've used the M50's, and I can't get them fixed reliably since Warren Audio screwed up both times.

Dec 21, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #126 of 161

Quote:
My straight cable got here half a week later than they said it would, but I will be picking it up tomorrow.

After that, it's one more day of listening and fine-tuning notes, and then I'll put my thoughts up. I won't compare them to the M50's much, since it's been almost a year since I've used the M50's, and I can't get them fixed reliably since Warren Audio screwed up both times.

My straight cable and extra pads are sitting at the UPS will call.  With a little luck, I'll be able to make it over today to grab them before they close.  Out of all of their locations they decided to store it in an office that's 1/2 hour away from me!  Both USPS and UPS have dropped the ball on me in the span of about 3 weeks. :frowning2:

Dec 21, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #127 of 161
[size=x-small]My impressions, briefly: [/size]

[size=x-small]Isolation is very good. Style is great, shallow as it sounds, you do look pretty cool in them. Efficiency is VERY good - never had headphones been so loud from such a low volume before. Sound was involving and high impact. These are an extremely fun and smooth sounding pair of cans with a lot of potential to mod and if I had the free time right now would be a keeper. [/size]

[size=x-small]Do I prefer them to the M50? [/size]

[size=x-small]No, I think I prefer the M50s closer-to-neutral presentation with a bump to the bass rather than the clubby, pumping sound of the TMA-1. I can understand why others do prefer them though, I think it all comes down to the sort of music you're into.[/size]

[size=x-small]With my electonic music, pop and a lot of rock they were so, so good. But I haven't been in the mood for that stuff much lately. With folk and female vocals and gentler airier music (which accounts for a lot of my current flavour of the month albums right now) they were a bit too weighty, at least with stock pleather pads.[/size]

[size=x-small]The stock pleather pads are no ordinary pleather pads by the way. They are covered in a high quality protein leather that are soft and appear to breath. This isn't the old days of sweaty cloth with a vinyl coating. They are extremely comfortable and much less sweaty than the ATH-M50 pleather.[/size]

[size=x-small]It seems a shame not to use them but for folky female vocals the treble is too nerfed, and even with EQ the sound still a bit too weighy and impactful. None of these comments are actually negative for certain kinds of music. They just aren't giving me what I want. They are very "male" if you like, whereas the music I've been listening to most recently is very "female". If anything I find the ATM-50 too "male" as well now so I'm really not sure where to go next. [/size]

[size=x-small]Forget the foam pads by the way. They are terrible, terrible, terrible. Really don't know what AiAiAi were thinking there - I said I wanted more treble, I didn't say I wanted nothing but treble![/size]

[size=x-small]The velour pads I tried were a compromise but were too far towards the foams, and the with the Stax SR-X pads attached those genres did very well indeed but despite initial good feelings, long term comfort was not great with those and they also had a slightly aggressive "in your face" midrange and isolation was reduced too. There was a challenge that seemed to be laid down to me to pad roll until I got it right, but I have so many various projects right now I'm not really looking for a new one. [/size]

[size=x-small]As it is, I think the me of a year ago would be in love with them. I think they are perfectly designed for the club atmosphere they were intended for and I think anyone into electronica, hip hop, dancy poppy music or pacey rock will get a lot out of them. [/size]

[size=x-small]Right now I'm trying to reduce my headphone collection to bare minimums and am looking for just one portable closed set of cans and regretfully, this is not it. I've finally decided to put them up for a trade in the classifieds, so hopefully they can go to someone who will appreciate them more.[/size]

Dec 21, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #128 of 161
Your impressions reflect mine perfectly well, EddieE - I feel the same about them with female vocals and "ethereal" music. As great as they are for anything electronic or heavier rock, they're too "weighty" for female jazz singers, string quartets, and the like.

By the way, I'm heading out to the DJ store now, getting a pair of original HD 25 velours pads. I wonder what they do to the TMA's sound.

Dec 21, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #129 of 161

Quote:
Your impressions reflect mine perfectly well, EddieE - I feel the same about them with female vocals and "ethereal" music. As great as they are for anything electronic or heavier rock, they're too "weighty" for female jazz singers, string quartets, and the like.

By the way, I'm heading out to the DJ store now, getting a pair of original HD 25 velours pads. I wonder what they do to the TMA's sound.

Be sure to let us know when you find out. 

I have to say though, I never knew pads could make such a huge (And horrible) difference on the same headphone. The foam pads proved me wrong.

Very very wrong. Lol.

Dec 21, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #130 of 161
After seeing EddieE's experiments, I went out and bought original Sennheiser HD 25 velours pads. After ripping the foam pads off their base plate the HD 25 pads fit like a glove - as if they're made for the TMA-1.

40419553504322294041.jpg

39734656995258600690.jpg

69491866837862345792.jpg

Difference to the original AIAIAI protein leather pads is rather minimal, but generally making the TMA-1 sound a smidgen worse instead of better. The velours pads make the TMA-1 lose some bass/midbass - yet at the same time lose some clarity, which is rather weird. Maybe because the hole in the middle of the HD 25 pads has a smaller diameter? Either way, the differences are tiny by any standards - recommended if you want to use velours instead of leather, but not useful for changing the overall sound of the TMA-1.

Well, that was EUR 20 down the drain, more or less.

Dec 21, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #131 of 161
redface.gif
 sorry to have been the inspiration for your wasting of money dfkt! It's aways worth a try though. Maybe someone will want them if you put them up on the classifieds.

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #132 of 161
No worries, about half a dozen of my friends have HD 25's anyways. I probably could have borrowed some pads, but now I can sell one of them a good-as-new pair. :wink:

BTW, I thought the velours might be more comfy, but it's pretty much on par with the protein leather pads for my ears as well. The TMA leather pads sure are a class above the usual synthetic stuff, as found on my HFI-780 or T50p.

Dec 21, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #133 of 161

This sort of concerns me. I do listen to rock, but it's not very heavy rock, and I also listen to bands along the lines of Beach House. I'm sure they will still sound great, but I'm just a little worried.

Dec 21, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #134 of 161
Spiral Static, you shouldn't pay too much attention to me deciding they aren't for me (and after a thoroughly enjoyable walk home to wings with them tonight I am questioning that decision) just as you shouldn't pay too much attention to other people saying they love them.

Just approach them with an open mind, give yourself time to adjust to them and make your mind up for yourself.

Bear in mind my main headphones over the last six months have been the Phonak PFE112, the Alessandro MS1000 and recently Stax SR303 - light, delicate and graceful headphones. There was always going to be a risk for me trying out some very regarded dark headphones like these.

Doesn't mean you won't love them, just like others loving them doesn't mean you will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back