Head-fi segment - 2013 outlook
Sep 30, 2012 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Loevhagen

1000+ Head-Fier
Based on extrapolation of the segment the previous and recent years; what's your take regarding the head-fi segment in 2013? What do you miss today that you want to be available in 2013?

General:
- There are several things for me, but key is that I want several manufacturers to start production of orthos
- New ownership in Stax makes the prices drop

Specifics:
- Schiit Statement Amp
- Violectric V282 / V284
- Audeze LCD-4

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 8
-More production of high quality sources with lower prices
-Better entry into Stax- price drops.

Specific:
I'd like to see a more conventional approach to something like the TakeT headphone.

Sep 30, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 8
X2 for  HE-7, although I am not sure the HE-6 can be improved on sonically 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #6 of 8
Would really like to see an ATH-W7000. Excited about the Schiit statement DAC too!

Oct 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 8
- New Sennheiser electrostatics that aren't excessively bright and don't suck. Hopefully at reasonable prices, too. I expect something at the $2.5-3k pricepoint for both headphones and amp.
- Stax hopefully tweaking their lineup to be a little bit less bright. SR-009 Mk2 and SR-007 Mk3?
- Stax SR-001 Mk3. We've seen the prototypes, now make it happen. Improve the fit of those God-awful earpieces too.
- I would like to see a totally new Lambda line with significantly updated looks. Something that looks like a central heating unit from the 70s is not acceptable today among shiny new Beats and Souls and whatever have you, regardless of how it sounds. Mind you, if they start this now it will not happen in 2013, I expect something like this to take a good 2-3 years to develop if not more.
- Improved Stax amps. Hopefully with tubes that are actually fit for their intended role this time.
- Koss updating the ESP950? Actually, scratch that, I'll settle for them not discontinuing the ESP950, given their financial woes. I'm gonna buy some more PortaPros and KSC-75 as gifts this year.
- IEMs: we're hitting 20kHz in customs, now make it happen in universals. I would like to see a UM4/UM4x especially. Something that keeps the UM3x's virtues but tames that messy loose bass and makes it a bit more balanced.
- Dynamics... Honestly, this makes me sad. I suppose I should care, but the trend of $1k+ flagships that get outperformed by the HD600 on all levels is going to continue. The best thing I can do I suppose is not buy them.

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
- IEMs: we're hitting 20kHz in customs, now make it happen in universals. I would like to see a UM4/UM4x especially. Something that keeps the UM3x's virtues but tames that messy loose bass and makes it a bit more balanced.

10 driver active cross over custom would be nice :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back