Head-fi pollution...
Mar 14, 2004 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Dan the audioman

1000+ Head-Fier
You know, Im sitting here at my computer, browsing through headfi...and i just sort of realized how many people post here, and how many of those posters dont know squat about what they are saying. Pollution i say!!

Im sure that back in the day...lets say a year or so ago, this place was a really relaxed, small community, where everyone new eachother, everyone knew jude, and it was just a friendly "gathering" where one could discuss headphones. Now, there are so many new people here and there who when it comes to being audiophile they know nothing.

I admit, I only joined this fine community last september, but i wish i would have joined a year ago when it wasnt so crowded and IMO polluted.

But then again, my wallet sure is happy i only joined in september!
600smile.gif

Anywho, theres my spiel.
Dan

Mar 14, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan the audioman Im sure that back in the day...lets say a year or so ago, this place was a really relaxed, small community, where everyone new eachother, everyone knew jude, and it was just a friendly "gathering" where one could discuss headphones. Now, there are so many new people here and there who when it comes to being audiophile they know nothing.

rolleyes.gif
Didn't we just have another rant like this three or four days ago?

Mar 14, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by strohmie
rolleyes.gif
Didn't we just have another rant like this three or four days ago?

I dont know i was gone for a bit...

If we did...its my bad.
tongue.gif

Mar 14, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 33
Oh i did see that thread a little while ago. I just chose to avoid it. I dont know why, i just did.
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan the audioman
Oh i did see that thread a little while ago. I just chose to avoid it. I dont know why, i just did.
biggrin.gif

You need to work on your filtering skills.
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 33
yeah damn newbies
rolleyes.gif

It the reg date that counts, not the post
tongue.gif

BTW Dan, how did you manged to write nearly 700post in less time then I've used to write my ~230 post?

That's insane

Mar 14, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 33
Yes, here it is.

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=64449

It was the end of Head-Fi as we know it.

Growing pains aren't easy to go through.
Growth can add to the size and strength of any organization if it is healthy (regulated, assimilated) growth, or can lead to its demise if it is unchecked, unassimilated (cancerous) growth. During the growing pains period, the organization "decides" if it will welcome and assimilate its growth or not.

Probably, there will be a slowly turning-over "core" of knowledgeable people who will provide the framework of knowledge, and the example of forum behavior, which will enable new folks to get into a constructive swing of things. The core end up giving a lot. On top of that core, will be a series of layers of ever more rapidly turning-over folks with differing purposes - generalized by saying that the more transient the folks, the more they will be quick takers. Then there will be folks in the middle - getting from the most knowledgeable and their own experience and helping to dispense that to the least experienced and knowledgeable.

We've already taken some steps toward satisfying quick-hit takers with perennial questions with some of the stickies. We can go further with that concept. Perhaps having new threads going through a moderator (and having more moderators) before being added will help not have the same thread appear weekly for some questions, etc.

In other words, there are plenty of things we can do to recognize the new population, to assimilate the longer term members of it, and to satisfy perennial question askers with less distraction from the more significant discussions that can happen on these boards.

Mar 14, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan the audioman
how many of those posters dont know squat about what they are saying.

A few have a post count fixation and will chime in with not much to say on nearly every thread, it seems. Dump the post count?

Mar 14, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #10 of 33
Greetings,

Everyone is always longing for the "good old days" but what most people forget is that the good old days are just like today, only you've forgotten some of the bad parts because they weren't worth remembering, and you've changed the way you look at things. Instead of being a fresh noob on the forum and everyone knew everything, you're now a bit of a veteran getting upset with the noobs that don't know anything.

The thing is, they want to learn, and unless they have an opportunity to learn, they'll never become more than they were when they joined.

Sure, there are more new people now, but there are also more vets to teach them, to discuss with them, and eventually these new and fresh people that don't know what it means to be an audiophile can learn and grow into well-respected members of the community.

Most people didn't come here because they owned thousands of dollars in headphone gear and knew everything about the world of head-fi and audiophilia, it's because they just found a passion for music and good sound inside themselves and want to learn more. That's why there here. So if you think that there are too many people that don't know the first thing about being an audiophile, I'll agree wholly, but I'll also defend to the death that that's a good thing. It shows that the passion is spreading, that more people are becoming interested in good sound, and that makes me feel wonderful.

Thank you for your time.
-Jake

Mar 14, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by pank2002
yeah damn newbies
rolleyes.gif

It the reg date that counts, not the post
tongue.gif

BTW Dan, how did you manged to write nearly 700post in less time then I've used to write my ~230 post?

That's insane

You think i post too much?! there are people out there that have joined even later than me that are are already past 3000 posts!No joke!

The_Mac,
You definetely have a point there. I respect that.

Mar 14, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by The_Mac
Greetings,

Everyone is always longing for the "good old days" but what most people forget is that the good old days are just like today, only you've forgotten some of the bad parts because they weren't worth remembering, and you've changed the way you look at things.
-Jake

Dude, you joined a month ago so..
wink.gif

For me, the old days were better. Technically it is better now because along with a lot more noise there is more signal, but in the old days the community was much smaller and we knew each other a lot better. There were less rules for post appropriateness because it wasn't a problem. I'm glad the community has gotten larger because it has brought about higher scale DIY projects (PPA, gilmore) but at the same time I miss some of the togetherness. Oh well, there's always IRC

Mar 14, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #13 of 33
Dan,

Yeah, there are a lot of people here who don't know what they're talking about and that will probably grow as more people join, but hey - there are some cool people here too. Just weed out what you want to read and ignore the rest.

Mar 14, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #14 of 33
I try to make a point only to reply when I have something useful to add, or a question. At this point I mostly have questions
smily_headphones1.gif
I guess this post is a bad example, lol.

Mar 14, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #15 of 33
it happens to all forums when they get big.

once there are too many members, the forum goes down the crapper in terms of moderatorship/rules. of course, the only other forums i hang out at are computer related ones(where there are 100x more noobs and thread-crappers). so maybe it won't happen here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back