Head-fi Metal Heads: Some help please
Apr 8, 2010 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Zarathustra19

1000+ Head-Fier
I recently lost a good chunk of my collection when my 1tb hard drive fell off my desk. Long story short, I'm re-ripping the library, but looking for new things to refresh my love of metal.

Right now, I'm set with Black and Death metal, but I'm at a loss to find clean-vocal laden Doom Metal. So, I'd like it if you all could recommend me a few bands/albums in the vein of Funeral's "From These Wounds" and November's Doom (minus the growling vocals, of course). I've got a good collection of the mainstream Doom bands, but all recommendations are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Zach

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 18
I remember Funeral being a funeral doom metal band with rough vocals. Anyway...for trad doom, you cant go wrong with

Orodruin
Reverend Bizarre
Warning
Candlemass
Apostle Of Solitude
Blood Farmers
While Heaven Wept
Unorthodox
Solitude Aeturnus
Revelation
Confessor
Solstice
Great Coven
Griftegard
Mirror Of Deception
Las Cruces

etc..

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 18
Here's my list:

Saint Vitus
The Obsessed
My Dying Bride (some of the albums have growling, some don't)
Type O Negative
Witchcraft
Unearthly Trance
Orange Goblin
Paradise Lost
Anathema
Cemetary

Apr 9, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #5 of 18
My fave doom bands with clean vocals (going with those not mentioned yet):

Pagan Altar
Electric Wizard
The Gates of Slumber
Shrinebuilder - Wino + Scott Kelly + Al Cisneros = doomgasm
While Heaven Wept
The Wounded Kings
Church of Misery - psychedelic, bluesy vibe
Count Raven
Swallow The Sun - a mix of growls and cleans, death/doom approach
Pentagram
Draconian - Lisa Johansson's vocals are angelic
Hour of 13 - righteous Sabbath worship
Virgin Black - with opera-style vocals
Rituals of the Oak
Blood Ceremony
Acid King
Lord Vicar
Valkyrie
The Lamp of Thoth

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 18
Thanks for all the recommendations so far guys. A good deal of whats been mentioned I've either had or have, but a lot are new to me, excellent.

Also, KBerube80, you're right about funeral, their older stuff was traditional funeral doom. The last few albums, though, especially "From These Wounds" have the funeral doom musicality mixed with clean vox. From These Wounds (and Funeral in general) was some of my favorite music through college, and actually spurred this new search.

Keep 'em coming!

Cheers,
Zach

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 18
I'm not a huge metal head myself, but I recently discovered the band Tyr (Norse folk metal) and have to say that they are pretty awesome. I really like the albums Ragnarok and Eric the Red.

Apr 9, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 18
Absolutely! Tyr is a great band. If you like "Erik the Red" and "Ragnarok", give "Land" a shot. The band is evolving a good deal through the last few albums, so I'd encourage you check out their discography. I personally got into viking metal when I converted to Germanic Heathenry a few years ago. The sagas and epics referenced by a lot of the bands really bring the stories to life.

Cheers,
Zach

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #9 of 18
I actually picked up Land, By The Light of The Northern Star and How Far to Asgaard as well, so I think I have their discography covered, but those two were the definite stand outs, imho. They were both released in 2006, I wonder if they were recorded during the same sessions?

Apr 11, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 18
As far as I know, they were. I really enjoy Light of the Northern star. The whole discography is amazing, but there are a lot of people who cite those two as the best as well.

Cheers,
Zach

Apr 14, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #12 of 18
Slayer is pretty much the go to new metal fan band. Personally, I find them uninspired since my tastes expanded. Still decent, but nothing I get excited about.

As an update to this thread, I've discovered and rediscovered a lot of different bands through your recommendations, guys. Here's what I've been enjoying:

Ahab
Esoteric
While Heaven Wept
Virgin Black
My Dying Bride
Candlemass
Swallow the Sun

Cheers all, and thanks again,
Zach

Apr 14, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #13 of 18
All are indeed excellent bands
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #14 of 18
Just scored a Dead in the Water "Echoes...In the Ruins" vinyl LP on ebay. Really good band if you're into Doom, give them a look.

Cheers,
Zach

Users who are viewing this thread

Back