head-fi is a fix!
Jun 29, 2007 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

daveyostrow

1000+ Head-Fier
i have to stop myself from going way over my budget. started out small and went over the top with the MS1. i have had the pleasure in trying a few lower end headphones (bought blindly), but now there are the dt880 and 990 which are out there, and the Denon AH-D2000 which is like outer space... im going to have to wait until i accually try these out before im adding to my "colllection", if at all. i mainly listen to rock, but also r&b, rap, and little trance (dont know where to start with the other genres.
im forcing myself ot stop here with the ms1 and go-vibe 5, so ill thank everyone for the help and share my end result ms1 with the 'basshead' mod.

didnt want to try the black on the yellow hd414's but its a possibility:
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...w/CIMG0761.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...w/CIMG0760.jpg

Jun 29, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 14
You may really enjoy the D2000. Maybe the 225 (Grado). The MS1 is quite a good hp...... If you can stick with it and be happy.

Until of course you hang out here for another 6 months and accept that $700 + + + is no big deal to spend on a pair of hps. Dont say I didnt warn you.
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 14
from what i gatherd the dt990 is more for rock than the 880. are you saying the d2000 is around that too? this is for future knowledge for the 225 and the d2000 are out of my range. and i just cant justify spending that much on headphones...

Jun 30, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 14
i'm a primarily hip hop listener. love my ah-d2000. i feel like they do need an amp though for the bass to be nice an tight. some people say they don't need. unamped i prefer my Senn 595's.

Jun 30, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 14
Isnt the 225 pretty reasonably priced @ $200 or close to it. I beleive even the D2000 is pretty attractively priced , isnt it ?

The dt880 and dt990 are in the same price range as far as I know ( or more ). Some have complained about both Beyers being very very bright. The 225 takes the cake for rock (in that $ range), the D2000 just seems to get alot of love around here for being a very warm ,smooth sounding hp ,that offers allot of impact. Probably the type of hp that really works well with allot of genres.

If I were a betting man I would say D2000 for the win. Please keep in mind that I myself havent heard them, but considering the amount of rave reviews they seem to be getting from well respected and experienced Head-Fi members, I cant see any negatives.

See if you can up your budget just a tad and then go for it. Audition all of your prospects first though,because after all only your ears is what really matters. Good luck in your quest.

Jun 30, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalcoil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....the D2000 just seems to get alot of love around here for being a very warm ,smooth sounding hp ,that offers allot of impact. Probably the type of hp that really works well with allot of genres.

If I were a betting man I would say D2000 for the win. Please keep in mind that I myself havent heard them, but considering the amount of rave reviews they seem to be getting from well respected and experienced Head-Fi members, I cant see any negatives.

I was considering Darth Beyer... but D2000 sounds like it could be better for me.

I don't have the option to hear either one, but I'd bet the D2000 is for me... and it's prolly a more "all-around" kinda can, too.

Jun 30, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was considering Darth Beyer... but D2000 sounds like it could be better for me.

I don't have the option to hear either one, but I'd bet the D2000 is for me... and it's prolly a more "all-around" kinda can, too.

I think many would agree. However why not up the ante and go for the D5000? Afterall you were considering a Darth, keep that woody idea strong
biggrin.gif
. Just a suggestion.

Jun 30, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalcoil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However why not up the ante and go for the D5000? Afterall you were considering a Darth, keep that woody idea strong
biggrin.gif
. Just a suggestion.

Well.. because Darth is better than the D5000, and it happens to be cheaper.

I just feel like the D2000 is prolly a great buy right now, and if i don't get it... it's price is gonna get closer to that of the Darth. And I don't even know if I can push the Darths with Supermini or not...

I just wish there were more comparisons between the two.

Ahhh....I wish I could buy both. I don't think there's a way I could return either one. Maybe I'll have to go to the next National Meet.

Jul 1, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #12 of 14
I had an awesome day today as I listened to various Linn system setups (some pretty darned expensive... ranging to $13k). Anyways, I had my own Denons hooked up directly towards this Linn system aswell as through my own Balanced Ear90 and a X-Can v3. Compared the D2000's against Grado SR225 aswell as HD600, but those aren't relevant in this case, not to mention they cost pretty much the same as both headphones combined when adding the cable replacement in the price.

I'll tell you, the D2000's are a two trick pony compared to the SR225, mind you the D2000's do sound pretty darned good overall. But they only really shine with Rock/Metal imo, at least that's what I've found out so far the week I've had them.

The SR225 are on a whole other level. These play MUSIC! Balanced, dynamic and detailed sound. Doesn't matter what you feed them. Be it Billy Holiday, Bob Dylan, Coldplay, Lisa Miskovsky, Mushishi soundtrack (anime fans might recognise this series, awesome instrumental soundtrack), Kamelot etc. I went through 8 different CD's and 3 different sources and 2 external headphone amps during a whole day with these.

The SR225 sound so much more alive and closer than the D2000. They will fit different music styles a whole lot better. Not to mention the Grados are cheaper than the Denons. The only territory the D2000 win in is comfort. They're probably among the softest most comfortable phones ever, the Grados however are more up to personal preferences and ear size. The housing of the driver rests on your ear with the bowl pads and they will, depending on ear size probably squeeze your ears togethere a bit. So long listening periods might make the Grados quite painful to wear. There's flat pads, comfies and Sennheiser HD414 pads however, haven't tried any of these myself though.

Jul 1, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #13 of 14
i have the pads, and am very satisfied. if i had bigger ears the bowls would git great, but its ok. didnt know the sr225 was that good. the dt880 and dt990 are in the 200 range, so the sr225 is something to look into down the line.
its a dangerous road.

Jul 1, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyostrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have the pads, and am very satisfied. if i had bigger ears the bowls would git great, but its ok. didnt know the sr225 was that good. the dt880 and dt990 are in the 200 range, so the sr225 is something to look into down the line.
its a dangerous road.

Indeed it is. My wallet is probably going to suffer some minor impact in a few days, be it for the SR225 or 325i's.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back