Head-Direct EF-1
Jan 9, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #106 of 348
After many hours of trying different tubes and different opamp combinations in my EF1, the best sound to my ears is from the AD743JN/JJ ECC 82 combination. I am using only matched and balanced triode tubes. The extra cost is small and the results worthwhile.

The resultant sound can best be described as lifelike, with superb rendering of complex harmonics.

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #107 of 348
I just got my Mullards today and with my Senn. HD580's so far I think I like them better than the clear top that came with the amp. To my ears it seams to have lifted some of the so called veil from my Senns. More open and still very detailed and dead silent in the quiet parts like the clear top.

Jan 9, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #108 of 348
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After many hours of trying different tubes and different opamp combinations in my EF1, the best sound to my ears is from the AD743JN/JJ ECC 82 combination. I am using only matched and balanced triode tubes. The extra cost is small and the results worthwhile.

The resultant sound can best be described as lifelike, with superb rendering of complex harmonics.

HiFlight,

Pardon my ignorance but how does one have matched and balanced tubes if the amp only uses one tube?

Jan 9, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #109 of 348
Quote:

Originally Posted by triode12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HiFlight,

Pardon my ignorance but how does one have matched and balanced tubes if the amp only uses one tube?

There are two sections in the tube, so when you look at tube testing for them you see section a and section b listed separately.

Jan 9, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #110 of 348
Quote:

Man, I sure wish my EF1 opamp was socketed instead of soldered. I have the AD743 on a 2:1 just sitting here. I guess I'll have to try them in my XM5 instead.

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #111 of 348
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are two sections in the tube, so when you look at tube testing for them you see section a and section b listed separately.

I see. Thank you!

Jan 9, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #112 of 348
Quote:

I agree that balanced triodes are important in a tube where the amp uses one dual-triode for both channels (meaning one triode section per channel). Of course "matched" and "Balanced" have the same meaning in this case. When referring to a PAIR of dual triode tubes, "matched" would refer to the two tubes and "balanced" to the triode sections of those tubes.

I am surprised by your preference of the JJ tube though. I have generally not been very impressed with JJ's when compared to vintage tubes. But we all have our own ears, and I did not try a JJ in the EF1.

Jan 9, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #113 of 348
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that balanced triodes are important in a tube where the amp uses one dual-triode for both channels (meaning one triode section per channel). Of course "matched" and "Balanced" have the same meaning in this case. When referring to a PAIR of dual triode tubes, "matched" would refer to the two tubes and "balanced" to the triode sections of those tubes.

I am surprised by your preference of the JJ tube though. I have generally not been very impressed with JJ's when compared to vintage tubes. But we all have our own ears, and I did not try a JJ in the EF1.

He only likes the JJ tube in conjunction with the AD743 opamps, not the stock opamp.

Jan 11, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #114 of 348
I'm really enjoying this amp with my Kenwood KH K1000. I'm certainly hearing some improvements. The Kenwoods seem to respond well to amplification. The ESW9 sound nice too with the Head-Direct.

I tried the Beyerdynamic DTX50 but a little too warm and bassy. I like my Beyers with the Go Vibe Petite. Tames the bass a touch and brings out the treble.

But the Head-Direct is a winner. I could listen for hours with this amp and the Kenwoods.

Some pics for size comparisons.

Head-Direct - a set on Flickr

Can anybody recommend an OPEN headphone to use with this amp? A good airy sounding allrounder? Could DT880 be the one below $400?

Jan 11, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #115 of 348
I thought my Beyer DT990's sounded excellent with the EF1.

Jan 11, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #116 of 348
Quote:

Originally Posted by kojebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can anybody recommend an OPEN headphone to use with this amp? A good airy sounding allrounder? Could DT880 be the one below $400?

For me, I enjoy the K701 with EF 1. It's airy

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #117 of 348
Here is mine. I have to add that the EF1 is just PERFECT with the DT150. Wow, simply amazing. Nice warmt, good punch and very nice bass. Perfect balance. More to come later.

dscf2023xi1.jpg

Jan 12, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #118 of 348
Thanks guys for your suggestions. I'll look up these cans in more detail and check their prices in Korea. Prices can flutuate a lot between different brands in korea.

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #119 of 348
I just swapped in my ad8620 for the op275 that came stock with this amp. took just a couple minutes of listening to confirm stock op amp is much better. the bass with the 8620 sounds very plasticky and its hard to tell between drums and bass. the soundstage is compressed with the upper midrange pushed forward. the op275 is much better balanced with even distribution accross the spectrum all the notes sound well rounded. the stock op amp has a wide airy presentation with good dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back