HE60 HEV70 problems
Nov 28, 2007 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

19lexicon78

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

i've had my baby O system repaired by sennheiser and i want to know if the following problem is normal/common using the HE60/HEV70.

only the very high and very low tones give some distortion, a light scratch sound. the middle tones are perfect.

is it the HEV70 which cannot handle these tones, or perhaps the HE60?

btw, i've got a studer d730 cdp and cardas golden ref IC's.

greets,
stan

Nov 28, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #6 of 11
it could be.
i opened the HE60 6 months ago. shouldn't have done that, it got much worse. the left driver didn't work anymore, so it had to go to sennheiser.
unfortunate i'm not a technician.
frown.gif

Nov 28, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19lexicon78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it could be.
i opened the HE60 6 months ago. shouldn't have done that, it got much worse. the left driver didn't work anymore, so it had to go to sennheiser.
unfortunate i'm not a technician.
frown.gif

How did you open them up? If you only opened up the driver housing then it was only a loose wire or a bad solder joint though that shouldn't have happened as the driver shouldn't move at all. It could be that they didn't replace the drivers or even clean them. A soft squeal is a sure sign that there is some debris stuck in there. The HEV70 will start to hum badly and then just die.

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #8 of 11
i didn't open up the driver housing only. i've held the driver at the edges and watched if there were debris on it. shouldn't have done that.

indeed, they didn't replace the drivers. perhaps cleaning them and new pads. i must admit, the sound is clearer now. more upfront. because of new pads?
but perhaps there is still a bit of debris.
they've told me, the repair was easy.

Nov 28, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19lexicon78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i didn't open up the driver housing only. i've held the driver at the edges and watched if there were debris on it. shouldn't have done that.

indeed, they didn't replace the drivers. perhaps cleaning them and new pads. i must admit, the sound is clearer now. more upfront. because of new pads?
but perhaps there is still a bit of debris.
they've told me, the repair was easy.

Holding the drivers is fine but if you pulled on them without removing the strain relief then the cable might have been pulled a bit and one the connectors gotten loose. It's easy to fix but it's much better to just lift up the strain relief from the housing so they aren't connected any more.

If you want to open up the driver then you undo all of the plastic screws around the river and it splits in two. The diaphragm is glued to the back stator piece so inspect the diaphragm under a strong source of light with the light reflecting off it and blow away any debris with your mouth. Anything stronger then that might damage the film.

Nov 28, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shouldn't be there.
Maybe some burn-in is in order after the repair?

I'd like to seriously know, what would "burn-in" even do in this situation? Somehow magically remove dust from the driver?

I don't think he should burn them in more, he should just get some pebbles...

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to seriously know, what would "burn-in" even do in this situation? Somehow magically remove dust from the driver?

I don't think he should burn them in more, he should just get some pebbles...

Electrostatic drivers need to be "run in" (burn in is an idiotic name for what is happening) but as they weren't replaced that isn't the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back