HE500. How does it compare to a MarkL modded D5000?
Jan 26, 2013 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Tangster

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I've seen a pair of second hand HE500s for a reasonable price and would like to know if it's a worthwhile upgrade.

For reference, I listen to everything except rap/rnb/hip-hop, country and modern jazz. My most listened to genres would probably be EDM/dubstep, classical and pop.

As an additional question would I need an upgrade to my amp to run the HE500, I currently use a Schiit Asgard, the seller is looking to sell his Lyr (with JJ E88C tubes) as well.
It's a lot of money, so I would like to know if I would be suitably impressed to drop  ~500 on the HE500 or ~850 for the HE500 and Lyr.

Jan 26, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 2
Get it man, it's a no-brainer upgrade if you want radical improvements on neutrality and resolution. HE500's sound signature is one of the best jack-of-all-trades sounds I've heard, that is utterly non-fatiguing and very dynamic. (I have auditioned both stock and markl D5ks before and they both sounded relatively grainy and U-shaped compared to cans like HE500/LCD2r1/LCD2r2, not to mention LCD3/HE6)

Also, you get to do the jergpad mod (my sig) if you get it, which IMO is a huge bonus 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back