HE-6 vs HD800
Jun 10, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #16 of 22
I have both and will say it is very difficult to compare them due to vastly different amping requirements.  I love both phones and I do not think you can say one is better than the other, even from disk to disk my opinion can change.

So don't worry about which is best, but if you are using the Denon to amp these you may be better of with the HE-6's

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #17 of 22
shoot just passed up a great deal on one, I guess I really shouldn't have. sounds like it's the way to go. thanks for the reply!

nigel, do you see an overall pattern with the two? even if one is not better what does each excel in?

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #18 of 22
hd 800: classical and well recorded stuff.

he-6. everything and anything.

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #19 of 22
  shoot just passed up a great deal on one, I guess I really shouldn't have. sounds like it's the way to go. thanks for the reply!

nigel, do you see an overall pattern with the two? even if one is not better what does each excel in?

Yes definitely a pattern

HD800:
Leaner, but not lean or thin when properly amped.
Sound faster but that could be perceived to to being leaner.
More space and wider soundstage with better imaging.
Better dynamics making the HD800's sound totally free and unrestrained, but we all know the power requirements of the HE-6's and that is a big issue with regards dynamics. A speaker amp could make the HE6's equally dynamic as they are still very dynamic with my Master-6.
Deep and very tight bass, although some would say slightly lean but I don't agree with that, with absolutely no bloat.
Masses of detail and clarity

HE-6:
Fuller richer sound.
Fuller maybe slightly deeper bass but still very tight.
Slightly warmer with great tone.
Still very fast and detailed but not as obvious.

Hope that helps

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #20 of 22
helps a ton nigel, thank you. that is the comparison I've been looking for I feel you've really put together everything I've heard about the two into one source. what a tough decisions! maybe I will just have to audition them!

and lol erik, seems like you like the HE-6 a lot :)

nigel: do you find the S's on the HD800 very pronounced before/after recabling?

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #21 of 22
  helps a ton nigel, thank you. that is the comparison I've been looking for I feel you've really put together everything I've heard about the two into one source. what a tough decisions! maybe I will just have to audition them!

and lol erik, seems like you like the HE-6 a lot :)

nigel: do you find the S's on the HD800 very pronounced before/after recabling?

Not very pronounced, not before or after re-cabling.
However the S's are more pronounced than the other phones I have. Just remember the HD800's will give you ALL they receive, if you have any sibilance you will hear it. However I can also hear sibilance,if it is on the recording with the LCD2.2's just less obvious due to a more recessed hf's.

And yes I love the HE-6's. Listening to some OMD as I write this, so entertaining 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back