HE-5XX Soundstage Vs Ananda Soundstage?
Mar 25, 2023 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

djentbat

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I wanted to know what everyone’s opinions are in the HE-5XX vs the Ananda soundstages?

For some perspective I own the HE-5XX and I tried out some Sundaras to compare them. And to my ears I really really love the soundstage on the HE-5XX and the warmth it has much more. I just think it’s a fun headphone vs the Sundara which I found lacked a lot in soundstage and I have headphones that do a better job being analytical.

With that being said,

I have heard the Ananda are a step up from the Sundaras but that there is more soundstage.

How much more soundstage is there on the Ananda vs that of HE-5XX?

I know there exists others with better soundstage but I like that planar sound, and the Anandas can be found for a good price used until I save some more money for the HD800s.

Mar 25, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 5
I've spent a lot of time with all three. The Ananda imaging is more accurate and a little more from to back depth in the soundstage. Detail retrieval is better, but the he5xx is the better value, and easier to take on and off frequently.
They're better, but not better value for money from the he5xx to Ananda. Both take about the same to drive, and respond well to a Sound blaster X1 or G6 as a DAC if soundstage is a big priority.

Mar 25, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #3 of 5
I've spent a lot of time with all three. The Ananda imaging is more accurate and a little more from to back depth in the soundstage. Detail retrieval is better, but the he5xx is the better value, and easier to take on and off frequently.
They're better, but not better value for money from the he5xx to Ananda. Both take about the same to drive, and respond well to a Sound blaster X1 or G6 as a DAC if soundstage is a big priority.
Would you say the ananda sound much wider compared to the HE-5XX?

Nov 26, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 5
Hey everyone,

I wanted to know what everyone’s opinions are in the HE-5XX vs the Ananda soundstages?

For some perspective I own the HE-5XX and I tried out some Sundaras to compare them. And to my ears I really really love the soundstage on the HE-5XX and the warmth it has much more. I just think it’s a fun headphone vs the Sundara which I found lacked a lot in soundstage and I have headphones that do a better job being analytical.

With that being said,

I have heard the Ananda are a step up from the Sundaras but that there is more soundstage.

How much more soundstage is there on the Ananda vs that of HE-5XX?

I know there exists others with better soundstage but I like that planar sound, and the Anandas can be found for a good price used until I save some more money for the HD800s.

Did you ever get the Ananda's? I've been using the 5xx as my daily driver for the last 3 years and love it, but with the price of the Ananda's right now (about 350 refurb on the hifiman website), I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade or if I need to keep saving and get the Arya or something else.

Nov 26, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 5
Did you ever get the Ananda's? I've been using the 5xx as my daily driver for the last 3 years and love it, but with the price of the Ananda's right now (about 350 refurb on the hifiman website), I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade or if I need to keep saving and get the Arya or something else.
I actually did. Much more further in the hobby now.

That said, I remember on initial impressions I liked the HE-5X more because it was warmer ( I tend to like warmer headphones) that said the Ananda was extremely detailed in comparison, much more precise imaging. Hifiman headphones when it comes to soundstage are much more tall in their soundstage than wide (ie up and down, vs left to right)

I’d recommend grabbing a used Arya is you can afford it. I feel it corrects what I personally did not like about the ananda, being too bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back