HE-500's: Extra 5cm further from ear = More natural sound
Feb 23, 2012 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

temporaryname

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been reading the LCD-3 thread and there's been a discussion on the squishy pads and how they sound better when the drivers are pulled further away from the ear. I've tried this on my HE-500's and I was shocked by the change in sound quality.
As much as I like the HE-500's, I find them to be a little bright and grinding, as if the volume is too high (even when it's not). When I pulled the drivers 5cm further away from my ears, the sound transformed. It sounded more natural, bass sounded more realistic, the treble seemed to tone down and it became an absolute pleasure to listen to. It just gave it the perfect sound signature.

Now I'm skeptical when people mention night and day differences due to little things like different cables and whatnot, but I'm really interested if anyone else has found this effect to be true?

Also, I've never tried modding before. Is there any advice any experienced DIYer's can give me on how to increase the pad thickness or... something... to increase the distance between the drivers and my ears? I know a mod to increase the distance from the drivers and the ears will look hilarious silly, but the sound! Oh that sound! I want it always there without needing to hold the drivers with my hands!

Any and all answers will be highly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back