HE-500 vs. Rs1i
Dec 18, 2012 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

KVP

New Head-Fier
Is anyone able to suggest one of these over the other?  I was pretty much set on buying the HE-500 to match up with my Schiit Lyr amp, and in fact had a pair home a few months ago for a few days until the right earcup broke off of the headband, so I sent them back.  I liked the sound, but as I've been contemplating buying another pair, I started thinking about the Grado RS1i as it is the same price, and has also gotten good reviews.  I have a pair of SR-80s that I enjoy, but would like to upgrade.  The problem is the inablility to compare the HE-500 and the RS1i side by side.  As far as my tastes, I listen to everything except for hip-hop, etc., but I am most likely to listen to music with acoustic strings from guitar to mandolin to cello, and mostly female vocals from Eva Cassidy to Allison Kraus, and bands from CSN&Y to Dawes to the Eagles.

Does anyone have any thoughts?   

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 37
The RS-1i is an entirely different beast than the HE-500.  The HE-500 is a relatively dark sounding headphone while the RS-1i is quite bright.  The HE-500 has a darn near ruler flat frequency response from 30 Hz to 300 Hz whereas the RS-1i has a drastic dip in the bass below 95 Hz.  The RS-1i is super bright at 2 kHz, 5 kHz, and 9 kHz.  The HE-500 is quite comfortable while the RS-1i is very uncomfortable.

Here are the charts:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3241&graphID[]=293

To me there is no comparison the HE-500 is better in every way except perhaps the use of natural materials like wood.

If you want a midcentric headphones go with a pair of Sennheiser Amperior.  They are too midcentric for me, but the treble is at least under control compared to the very bright RS-1i or any other Grado for that matter.

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 37
Blur makes some points kvp. But you've basically heard both of the headphones you are asking about choosing between as the 80 is not that different from the rs. The rs will just have a little different color spectrum and even more 'air' than your 80 has. So unless you can offer us some details as to what you feel is lacking in your current 80, I don't see how we could help you further to make that choice.

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 37
Quote:
The RS-1i is an entirely different beast than the HE-500.  The HE-500 is a relatively dark sounding headphone while the RS-1i is quite bright.  The HE-500 has a darn near ruler flat frequency response from 30 Hz to 300 Hz whereas the RS-1i has a drastic dip in the bass below 95 Hz.  The RS-1i is super bright at 2 kHz, 5 kHz, and 9 kHz.  The HE-500 is quite comfortable while the RS-1i is very uncomfortable.

Here are the charts:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3241&graphID[]=293

To me there is no comparison the HE-500 is better in every way except perhaps the use of natural materials like wood.

If you want a midcentric headphones go with a pair of Sennheiser Amperior.  They are too midcentric for me, but the treble is at least under control compared to the very bright RS-1i or any other Grado for that matter.

I'm just curious, are you speaking from personal experience?, because when you say things like, '' compared to the very bright RS-1i or any other Grado for that matter'' this leads me to believe that you have heard all Grado models, and if that's the case, i'm surprised you didn't suggest  the PS500s, wich are known for having good bass extension, a warm lush midrange, and a slightly rolled off treble.

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 37
Quote:
Quote:

Here are the charts:

I'm just curious, are you speaking from personal experience?, because when you say things like, '' compared to the very bright RS-1i or any other Grado for that matter'' this leads me to believe that you have heard all Grado models, and if that's the case, i'm surprised you didn't suggest  the PS500s, wich are known for having good bass extension, a warm lush midrange, and a slightly rolled off treble.

+1

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 37
I was debating getting these very two headphones a couple weeks ago and went with the RS1i and have been very pleased. They are in no way too bright and I find them very comfortable since coming from my SR80 w bowls. The power requirements and sheer size and weight steered me away from the HE500. I mainly use portable sources and amps.

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 37
based on everything i've heard about the HE-500 and based off my experiences with the RS1i. the grados are a great headphone ,but the he-500 is just on another level.

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #9 of 37
Quote:
Is anyone able to suggest one of these over the other?  I was pretty much set on buying the HE-500 to match up with my Schiit Lyr amp, and in fact had a pair home a few months ago for a few days until the right earcup broke off of the headband, so I sent them back.  I liked the sound, but as I've been contemplating buying another pair, I started thinking about the Grado RS1i as it is the same price, and has also gotten good reviews.  I have a pair of SR-80s that I enjoy, but would like to upgrade.  The problem is the inablility to compare the HE-500 and the RS1i side by side.  As far as my tastes, I listen to everything except for hip-hop, etc., but I am most likely to listen to music with acoustic strings from guitar to mandolin to cello, and mostly female vocals from Eva Cassidy to Allison Kraus, and bands from CSN&Y to Dawes to the Eagles.

Does anyone have any thoughts?   

Heya,

Sounds to me like you want a headphone with natural sound, perfect mids, and a touch of sparkle. The HE-500 would be excellent for your needs. And you already have a capable amplifier to bring it to life.

Grado is great, but honestly, unless you can wear it for a few hours and not have pain, I would get a full size headphone instead.

Very best,

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 37
Just to add - the RS1 isn't uncomfortable for everyone. I can wear my RS2i (identical fit) for hours without discomfort or pain.

Dec 19, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:
I have owned:

SR-60
SR-80
SR-125
SR-225
SR-325
RS-1i

None of them were comfortable and all were bright.

If you haven't heard them all, why do you say that they all sound bright?, and regarding comfort, i'm guessing that you haven't tryed the GS/PS1000, both of wich are often tought of as very comfortable, especially the GS1000s,

Some peoples don't have the chance to compare the headphones that they're interested in buying, and often base they're decision on what they read in forums like these, maybe you should have included you're list, and specified that you haven't heard them all, instead of making general assumptions 

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:
I have owned:

SR-60
SR-80
SR-125
SR-225
SR-325
RS-1i

None of them were comfortable and all were bright.

i wouldn't consider the lower grados to be very bright, especially the 225. the 325 is the only real bright one out of the bunch. the RS1i is anything but bright.

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #13 of 37
The RS1 is one of my favorite headphones and does what only Grado's do. But you either love it or you don't. Hearing the RS1 and the HE500 together there can only be one winner in regards to what an audiophile would consider as "better". The HE500's have better imaging, control, refinement, bass extension, no grain, they are more balanced, there is more space around instruments, more depth, more realistic timbre. And the treble is to die for!  

However, if you love the Grado sound then the RS1's are the reference for a reason. And none of the above will matter. Especially if you listen to smaller acoustic ensemble music like Jazz for instance. They put you center stage and make the music come alive and fun with their edgy, punchy and airy signature. Also, I found them very comfortable apart from making my ears a little itchy.

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #14 of 37
Thank you everyone for your thoughts regarding my decision.  The frustrating thing about purchasing headphones is the inability to do side by side comparisons, unless you're fortunate to be able to get to a show somewhere.  Everyone has different tastes, and we all hear things differently.  I'm thinking I may give the HE-500's another try.  I must admit though, I was taken aback a bit by the construction of them when the earcup fell off of the headband on the pair that I had.  Didn't give me a "warm and fuzzy" feeling about their durability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back