HE-500 vs LCD-2 Rev. 2?...and some ponderings about hi-fi treble
Apr 15, 2012 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24
I'm a huge fan of funk, jazz, classical, and R&B. I have a bit of an issue in that both of these headphones are claimed to be great for HALF of my music preferences...

HE-500 for classical and jazz
LCD-2 Rev. 2 for funk and R&B

I'm leaning toward the LCD-2 because I've always been a warm headphone kind of guy, but I'm worried about the treble. People seem to love the HE-500 treble, but that kind of worries me. I follow measurements a lot and I've noticed that cans that people love for their treble (HE-500, RS1i, etc.) have really large overshoots in their treble square waves...This usually amounts to treble that is often labeled as "hot". Is tizzy treble good treble? Is the more square treble response of the LCD-2 good enough?

I hope someone can help...

Kojaku

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 24
It's more a matter of taste don't worry too much about it, whatever YOU find good treble is good treble, simple as that. Trying to stay objective in the matter I'd say good treble is what sounds "realistic", ie. not too much unrealisticly sparkling/tizzling but not too smoothed out either, in-between, probably something there in-between LCD-2 & Hifiman HE-500 based on other people's feedback, both should be reasonably close and I'd imagine the treble would satisfy most people as long as they don't search for emphasized treble, then it also matters a lot on amps used, using a very warm amp for LCD-2 probably isn't the best idea, I'd rather try pair LCD-2 with a neutral or slightly on the bright side amp for sure rather than further exaggerating the headphone's sound signature while Hifiman I'd avoid pairing a very bright amp with.

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 24
Hm. Well, I could always EQ carefully...

Kojaku

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 24
You would do better by getting the set that's closest to your preferences. While I do like to EQ my gear, for hardware flaw adjusments or for entertainment purposes (depending on my mood), software EQs only go so far.

Apr 15, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #5 of 24
Just buy the he400 and save a boatload of money on the hp and high end amp that you don't need. You and your wallet will thank me...
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #6 of 24
lol square waves and worries over the FR chart?  I say tell the FR chart to stick it and jump in a fire because thats about all its worth to me, peaks and visually unpleasing snapshots of charts mean nothing if the headphones end up sounding great.  Think about it, where are those problems located?  usually in the upper most regions and rarely ever presented through a music track, unless you are listening to someone screaming in a helium induced fit, or someone banging on high hats on the drums for 4 minutes, dont worry about it on these two sets.  The LCD2 and He500 have among the best uppper end available despite having some shortcomings during measurements.  I can't hear it, i Cant really notice it when trying to enjoy music, you will notice it if you buy them so sit at your computer listening to tones being played or something very strange like that.

Enjoy the music, enjoy the headphones, both are amazing sets of headphones but neither of them are what I would choose if you want a well rounded hifi set.  The hifiman is the more well rounded, but due to its dry and lackluster presentation and sound stage, its not the headphone I would pick as my main set to be used with everything and anything I want.  It just requires too much power to get the best sound out of it, as do all of the Audezes.  Better to check into the D7000 for a more well rounded experience with a warmer low end.  Just my two cents, what do I know?  I'm crazy lololololol.

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #7 of 24
lol square waves and worries over the FR chart?  I say tell the FR chart to stick it and jump in a fire because thats about all its worth to me, peaks and visually unpleasing snapshots of charts mean nothing if the headphones end up sounding great.  Think about it, where are those problems located?  usually in the upper most regions and rarely ever presented through a music track, unless you are listening to someone screaming in a helium induced fit, or someone banging on high hats on the drums for 4 minutes, dont worry about it on these two sets.  The LCD2 and He500 have among the best uppper end available despite having some shortcomings during measurements.  I can't hear it, i Cant really notice it when trying to enjoy music, you will notice it if you buy them so sit at your computer listening to tones being played or something very strange like that.

Enjoy the music, enjoy the headphones, both are amazing sets of headphones but neither of them are what I would choose if you want a well rounded hifi set.  The hifiman is the more well rounded, but due to its dry and lackluster presentation and sound stage, its not the headphone I would pick as my main set to be used with everything and anything I want.  It just requires too much power to get the best sound out of it, as do all of the Audezes.  Better to check into the D7000 for a more well rounded experience with a warmer low end.  Just my two cents, what do I know?  I'm crazy lololololol.

I've heard the D7000. Several times. I find it wooly sounding. The low end seem a bit to flabby for my taste. Doesn't have the tightness I want. The HE-400 is supposedly just a bass-lover's ortho, right? That's definitely not what I'm looking for...

Kojaku

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #8 of 24
Ehh, I was not fond of the He400 at all.  Not that it was bad, just not my style, nor was the LCD2.  The D7K is well rounded, but as you said it is a bit fuzzy on the low end, if you want well rounded the LCD2 should be dead last on your list.  Actually, budget aside, I prefer the HD800 over it and the HE500 for everything.

As for a tight low end with some warmth, I'm not really aware of anything that has that flavor, at least to my ears.  Maybe some might disagree, but nothing comes to mind when I think "tight bass with some warmness" outside of the Edition 8.  But thats double the price and closed back.  

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #9 of 24
I don't think it's a fair comparison with the he400 and any of the denon series. Although I do find that the dxk makes a good complement to the he400. 

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #10 of 24
Ehh, I was not fond of the He400 at all.  Not that it was bad, just not my style, nor was the LCD2.  The D7K is well rounded, but as you said it is a bit fuzzy on the low end, if you want well rounded the LCD2 should be dead last on your list.  Actually, budget aside, I prefer the HD800 over it and the HE500 for everything.

As for a tight low end with some warmth, I'm not really aware of anything that has that flavor, at least to my ears.  Maybe some might disagree, but nothing comes to mind when I think "tight bass with some warmness" outside of the Edition 8.  But thats double the price and closed back.  

Hm, I always thought that the LCD-2 was the epitome of tight, articulate, yet punchy bass...I'm honestly just trying to understand where the LCD-2 sits in terms of treble. Is it bad treble? Is the treble rolled-off? Dull? Is there something wrong with the LCD-2's balance, or is it just a matter of tuning and the LCD-2 is fully capable?

Kojaku

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #11 of 24

I honestly use my ears for everything in terms of headphone stuff, but I haven't really heard either of these cans so I'm running on the measurements for now...they can at least allow me to make some educated assumptions about the sound...

Kojaku

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 24
Definitely a toss up. Having owned the LCD-2 and HE-6 I find myself dead in the middle of it all. The LCD-2 has great bass, but a treble section that isn't as good as the HE-6. The LCD-2 I also found had a not so impressive soundstage. The HE-6 and HE-500 have a totally transparent and clear upper range. They lack the lower bass transparency of an LCD-2, and it's not nearly as punchy.  The HE-6 has the most open and defined soundstage I've ever heard. Great for classical and jazz.

Also note, there's a whole thread dedicated to powering the hifiman headphones. You really need something with a kick. I mean, you really need a powerful amp for the HE-500 even. The HE-6 is a totally different story.

Good luck deciding.

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
I've heard the D7000. Several times. I find it wooly sounding. The low end seem a bit to flabby for my taste. Doesn't have the tightness I want. The HE-400 is supposedly just a bass-lover's ortho, right? That's definitely not what I'm looking for...
Kojaku

If you think that the HE-400's are bass-lover's orthos, then you'll find the LCD-2's to be bass-god's orthos.

It (LCD-2) has a powerful bass-presence that does not bleed or colour the mids but if you are bass-sensitive, it will be distracting or even overshadowing in certain music types. Meanwhile, HE-500's have a bass level that has very nice quality too but many find it just a hint too low in quantity. The HE-400's are a bit less refined (mainly in the mids) compared to both LCD2's and HE500's, but in terms of balance between bass and treble, it is smack-dead in the middle of the two heavy-weights (in terms of treble it is less sparkly than HE-500 but definitely less rolled-off than LCD-2's).

Now if either Audeze or Hifiman makes a pair of cans that mirror's the HE-400's overall balance but with smoother mids and better extension, it'd be a winner. HE-6 might be on that level but it takes a coal factory to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back