HE-500 Review and Shoot out.
Apr 21, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #121 of 846
Man, Just going back to the RS-2...Like  I still like the sound, but stacking them against the HE-500 they are just so 2 dimensional.

Apr 21, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #122 of 846

Quote:

Well, that would make sense were it not for the fact that he now seems to be buying LCD2's.  Unless he's borrowing them that is.  

Naah foo...

CHRIS_HIMSELF'S MASTER PLAN:
 ​
  1. Sell HE-500 650
  2. Sell Lyr 415
  3. Sell Bifrost 315

>Have about $1300
 ​
  1. Buy LCD-2 650
  2. Buy Nuforce HDP 300

Bam I just saved $350 that I can spend on strippers... I mean cable supplies.

I just got into watch trading so I want to make some smart trades to eventually pay off my Omega Seamaster I got myself as an early graduation present. I bought it already, but I'd like to make the money for it by condensing my setups and my collections of other things I have lots of equity in like guns and knives.

Apr 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #123 of 846
Wait....you found the LCD-2 for 650?

Apr 21, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #124 of 846

Quote:
Wait....you found the LCD-2 for 650?

Yeah I just get a Rev. 1. 

It had a messed up box and Head-Fi people are notoriously fickle with their accessories so I just saved $100 on an LCD-2

It's like, anybody with money can buy loads of expensive gear and have "more" to contribute to head-fi that way. I'm always trying to refine the art of gear buying to get the best possible sound for the dollar. The Schiit stuff was great, but honestly the DAC in the HDP might be better, you actually get more inputs, it's a smaller more ergonomically sound package, and oh yeah, it's a bloody amp.

The best rig for me is an RS-2 or HE-400 for under 500, HD-600 + HDP for under 1k, and now I'm trying to do the best setup for the 1k pricepoint. At the $1500 rig I was using, I was starting to feel the diminishing returns pretty hard.

As for an amp, the LCD-2's are hilariously efficient for what they are. 280mw from the Nuforce is PLENTY for them. No Burson for me unless they send me a demo unit.

Apr 21, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #125 of 846

Quote:

It had a messed up box and Head-Fi people are notoriously fickle with their accessories so I just saved $100 on an LCD-2

It's like, anybody with money can buy loads of expensive gear and have "more" to contribute to head-fi that way. I'm always trying to refine the art of gear buying to get the best possible sound for the dollar. The Schiit stuff was great, but honestly the DAC in the HDP might be better, you actually get more inputs, it's a smaller more ergonomically sound package, and oh yeah, it's a bloody amp.

The best rig for me is an RS-2 or HE-400 for under 500, HD-600 + HDP for under 1k, and now I'm trying to do the best setup for the 1k pricepoint. At the $1500 rig I was using, I was starting to feel the diminishing returns pretty hard.

As for an amp, the LCD-2's are hilariously efficient for what they are. 280mw from the Nuforce is PLENTY for them. No Burson for me unless they send me a demo unit.

Thats pretty good, I saw an LCD-2 rev 2 set up for the same price as what I paid for mine...It's something to think about as I really liked the LCD-2 Pre-release when I heard them.

Apr 21, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #127 of 846
Shame, the HE-500 are pretty delicious and sexual if I do say so my self.

Apr 21, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #128 of 846

Quote:

Or you could ditch the HDP and get an NFB-12 for under $200 used

I had both the HDP and NFB12 and compared them extensively.  The HDP was not an improvement over the NFB12 in any way, and the NFB12 will much more juice for the LCD2

Apr 21, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #129 of 846
It is always nice to have that extra headroom for a phone IMO. Working on a final write up JUST on the HE-500 right now...I should probably finish my school work hahahha.

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #130 of 846

Quote:

Or you could ditch the HDP and get an NFB-12 for under $200 used

I had both the HDP and NFB12 and compared them extensively.  The HDP was not an improvement over the NFB12 in any way, and the NFB12 will much more juice for the LCD2

OOOOHHH MAH BALLS..

You can get an NFB-12 used? I haven't tried Audio-GD stuff yet, I'd like to give it a go, money ain't the issue, it's just the obsession with getting the best gear under a certain price point. 

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #131 of 846
I actually saw a NFB-12 that came out to about $150 shipped on Ebay last night. Thought about picking it up since my NFB-10SE is out for repairs and upgrades, but ended up deciding to hook up my XM6 to my PC and just use iems until it comes back. They usually run about $170ish for the older model without the filter switches on the front panel when they come up for sale here..

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #132 of 846
Alright guys, got the full review up. Not to get a big head but if Jude or Uncle Eric find's this review worth a feature that would be awesome.
wink.gif

Happy listening Head-fi and I hope I have helped some along with finding a Great set of headphones. As I mentioned I will be getting a pair of HE-400 sometime soon from a fellow head-fier Keep an eye out!

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #134 of 846
also interested in your 500 vs 400 comparison.

im tossing up between the 650 and 400 at the moment :S , ive never heard a senn i liked, but i've never heard the high end ones so i have no idea.

im a bit inclined to take a gamble on the 400, reading these reviews of the 500 isnt helping much.

sorry for your wallet aint no fuggin joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back