he 400
Sep 23, 2014 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Gamingmusiclove

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, i've been doing my research, and i'm still confused about this, i'm about to buy both my first amp and dac, and i don't know what to choose. My options currently are: asgard 2 + modi and e12 + whatever dac you recommend
I'm really new with the whole amp/dac thing so please don't recommend op amps/tubes/ whatever other tinkery things you recommend, though i'm really open to sugestions, i want them to be as cheap as posible, so no lyr/bitfrost/m stage

Sep 23, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 6
Look, if you have he-400 I doubt you are going to be using this setup only at home. That means e12 is kinda unreasonable. If you want to get something really cheap maybe get the new E10k from Fiio or magni+modi. Magni and modi are really popular with he-400 users and its very reasonably priced great sounding setup.

Sep 25, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 6
Look, if you have he-400 I doubt you are going to be using this setup only at home. That means e12 is kinda unreasonable. If you want to get something really cheap maybe get the new E10k from Fiio or magni+modi. Magni and modi are really popular with he-400 users and its very reasonably priced great sounding setup.

Yeah but i don't know what to choose. The magni/modi is cheaper, but acording to schiit, the asgard 2 is better for orthos, so what i want to know is if anyone with the he400 and magni/modi could tell me how well do they pair, or if i need an asgard

Sep 25, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 6
Yeah but i don't know what to choose. The magni/modi is cheaper, but acording to schiit, the asgard 2 is better for orthos, so what i want to know is if anyone with the he400 and magni/modi could tell me how well do they pair, or if i need an asgard

this link might be helpful for you: http://www.audiobot9000.com/hifiman/h/he-400

asgard outputs 1W @ 32ohms and the modi outputs 1.2W at 32 ohms. 

So technically, the cheaper modi will supply more power to the headphones. I would imagine that it can run the HE-400 just fine. The price difference is obviously for other factors. Asgard has a gain switch which will allow you to use it with more sensitive IEMs as well as less efficient headphones.

edit: note in the fact, the specific mention of orthos & IEMs was just to illustrate that this amp has a gain switch that allows you to use both equipment that requires higher power & stuff that needs lower power. I wouldn't say that schiit was saying that the asgard is better than the modi at driving orthos.

Sep 25, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 6
this link might be helpful for you: http://www.audiobot9000.com/hifiman/h/he-400

asgard outputs 1W @ 32ohms and the modi outputs 1.2W at 32 ohms. 

So technically, the cheaper modi will supply more power to the headphones. I would imagine that it can run the HE-400 just fine. The price difference is obviously for other factors. Asgard has a gain switch which will allow you to use it with more sensitive IEMs as well as less efficient headphones.

Thanks a lot man! This would be my first amp though, so i'm not looking for something sofisticated or anything, and i'm really glad to hear magni IS the say to go. Will also be my first hifiman and ortho headphones! Edit: after reading the article, i'm surprised the magni went 6#, i'm gonna check the monoprice, im gonna check it but i still have my eye on the magni

Users who are viewing this thread

Back