HE-400 vs. HE-500 vs. HE-4 Comparison
Mar 2, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #317 of 352
Oh wow

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #320 of 352
You should just go pick it up! 
tongue.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #322 of 352
If you're happy with your pioneer receiver then I say better dac. If you can hold out Audio-GD will start taking orders for Sabre 11.32 next month.

If you can stretch a little bit look for an older 10SE or similar with an R-Core power unit. They're around $400 used and can drive the HE4 directly on the balanced side.

Audio-GD is tough to beat for the money when it comes to sound IMO.

man theres one for sale right now.

May 17, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #326 of 352
Hey man you gotta post a vs he4 here....come on buddy.

May 17, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #329 of 352
  I just got the HE500 and despite having a sweet perceived midrange that does great for jazz and classical I think it's going on the selling block. 500G vs 350G is a huge jump. Even my helmet doesn't weigh that much!

Curious what kind of helmet that might be (even my carbon motorcycle helmet is heavier, don't get me started on the 'lightweight' stuff the military kitted me out with although that was 20 years ago).

Goes to show that comfort is relative, I agree that the HifiMans won't win any prizes (excluding the new design used with the 560, which they ripped from Stax and is spit-ugly to boot) but to me both the stock 500 and 6 are comfy enough. They won't approach HD-800 levels but still...otoh I have a travel Parrot Zik bluetooth set weighing 300 grams but they've got a rather small headband with an annoying center ridge that gives me a headache after an hour.

May 17, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #330 of 352
  Curious what kind of helmet that might be (even my carbon motorcycle helmet is heavier, don't get me started on the 'lightweight' stuff the military kitted me out with although that was 20 years ago).

Goes to show that comfort is relative, I agree that the HifiMans won't win any prizes (excluding the new design used with the 560, which they ripped from Stax and is spit-ugly to boot) but to me both the stock 500 and 6 are comfy enough. They won't approach HD-800 levels but still...otoh I have a travel Parrot Zik bluetooth set weighing 300 grams but they've got a rather small headband with an annoying center ridge that gives me a headache after an hour.

I've got a Shark RSI Carbon Fiber helmet. At XL it's only 350g (same as the HE4
biggrin.gif
) and has an ECE/BSI rating not to mention excellent G-force transfer rates. Too light for SNELL to touch but that's where SNELL helmets suck.

That's me! And that's the lid. ^

Hey at least the HE500/6s aren't like that stainless steel Final Audio headphone someone is selling for $8000 in the classifieds at a whopping 800g. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back