HE-400 Questions about the accessories.
Dec 9, 2012 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hydralisk01

New Head-Fier
After some research I am thinking about purchasing the HE-400 but have some questions regarding the cables & pads.

1) What pads come with the HE-400? They sell Velour Pads & Leather Pads on the site. In terms of sound what are people impressions when changing to these pads compared to the original pads.  In terms of comfort, which one provides extra comfort for longer listening?  Probably comes down to personal preference but i'd like to know if people have experiences with it. Only place i have read is on Headfonia they said the Velour adds treble.

2) How do these cables change the sound? Headfonia said the Silver Cable adds treble and also mentions: "The stock canare cable (I love canare) is over 2 meters and is only fitted with a full size 1/4 plug… weren’t these cans supposed to be driven by a phone or DAP?" So can i plug this into a 3.5mm headphone jack or need some kinda adaptor. Does it come with this adaptor and if not can i get one from the head direct site?

3) Hifiman Headphone Connectors - what is the purpose of these? Do i need them?

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #2 of 4
1) They come with pleathers stock.  Velours cost 10 dollars more.  You might be able to get them to add velours on your original purchase.  Velours do not affect bass, and so far as I know of, do not affect treble.  They do bring up the mids a bit, and bring them in to focus more.  They're more comfortable for longer listening sessions compared to the pleathers I think, because they won't get sweaty like the pleathers do.  The pleathers feel slightly better on the skin and are less firm than the velours.  I'd say overall both have the same comfort.

I can't answer two.

3) you don't need those.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
1) They come with pleathers stock.  Velours cost 10 dollars more.  You might be able to get them to add velours on your original purchase.  Velours do not affect bass, and so far as I know of, do not affect treble.  They do bring up the mids a bit, and bring them in to focus more.  They're more comfortable for longer listening sessions compared to the pleathers I think, because they won't get sweaty like the pleathers do.  The pleathers feel slightly better on the skin and are less firm than the velours.  I'd say overall both have the same comfort.

I can't answer two.

3) you don't need those.

Thanks, that helps. I don't like it when pads get sweaty/sticky.

Edit: also i noticed u have the AD700 and M50 which i have heard.  Comparing HE-400 to those what differences you hear with the O2+ODAC.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #4 of 4
My sig's a bit misleading, the small grayed out ones are one I've had previously, although M50 is just a short drive to my brother's if I ever wanted it to borrow.

When I EQ the AD700, it has a tonality that's almost as pleasing as the HE-400, though nowhere as smooth.  The biggest differences in the EQ'd AD700 and HE-400 are bass impact and clarity/focus-ness of the instruments/vocals in the HE-400.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back