He 400 or Mad Dogs ?
Mar 12, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #2 of 5
I've not tried the Mad Dogs, but the HE-400 will be perfect. They are a bit weighty and I get the impression the Mad Dogs will be lighter on the head.

For what it's worth, I've found a bit by Cnet/Steve Guttenburg directly comparing the two -

To finish up, I compared the Mad Dogs with another planar magnetic headphone, the $399 HiFiMan HE-400 . That open-back headphone has a brighter treble and a cooler midrange tonal balance than the Mad Dogs. Switching between the two headphones the Mad Dogs were richer and warmer sounding, but I also liked the HE-400's immediacy. They sound different, but they're both excellent. The HE-400 sells for $100 more than the Mad Dogs.

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #3 of 5
Definitely, a planar magnetic like the Mad Dogs or the HE-400s would be the way to go for great transient response for bass. Which you would like better would likely be a personal tastes kind of thing. You'd likely have to hear both to know for sure.

Either way, what kind of device (make/model) will you use them with? A headphone amp is often necessary to get the most out of them for bass.

Mar 16, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 5
Definitely, a planar magnetic like the Mad Dogs or the HE-400s would be the way to go for great transient response for bass. Which you would like better would likely be a personal tastes kind of thing. You'd likely have to hear both to know for sure.

Either way, what kind of device (make/model) will you use them with? A headphone amp is often necessary to get the most out of them for bass.

yes can u help me with that too, im beginner and i dont understand what kind of device i need, for this headphones, if you can answer me plz :)

for an example , should i buy some mp3 special for music, or i can listen to my smarthpone, or i will not feel the full power of the headphones ?

Mar 16, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 5
A Schiit Magni 2 would be a good headphone amp that could easily drive the HE-400s for desktop use. For portable use, I'd probably go with the Fiio E12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back